I have a WONDERful feeling about this... Heading for the Panama Canal, May 2015 (PTR)

GooniesAndy

Mouseketeer
When we last left our intrepid crew, the Brown family had returned from their first ever cruise on the Disney Wonder. The trip was amazing, and everyone was sad to return to the real world.

Fast forward two years and a lot of rough times, and we were suddenly given the gift of a vacation. Two months after we returned from our cruise we lost my mother-in-law - we were all incredibly close and it was a devastating blow to our family, which was already dealing with a lot. My father-in-law recently finally felt mentally able to take care of her life insurance, and decided to give the boys and me "something special that you otherwise wouldn't be able to do." After talking to the kids, it was clear that a Disney Cruise was at the top of the list. We thought about doing Alaska this summer, but ultimately we decided that we would wait a year and spend the same amount of money to do the westbound Panama Canal crossing.

I know that Kate would be so happy to know we are taking this trip. She loved these kids more than anything!

I am a crazy planner, and I had so much fun compiling and writing my last trip report, that I decided to do it again. Hopefully our experiences will be helpful for other people!

About us:

Me:
Erin. Mom. I'm a lifelong Disney fan. I am quite shy, which will make this an interesting trip. This will be the first time I do anything more than a few days at Disneyland alone with the kids - no other adults to drag to trivia or eat with at Palo! On the other hand, I am really looking forward to some down time while the kids are in the clubs! Being essentially a single mom is very tiring, and I could use a little break! It is possible that I am a bit of an oversharer. I spent a lot of time trying to hide the truth of what was happening with our family and realized that it was taking a toll on me, so I vowed to just live life free and unfiltered. I am very matter-of-fact about what we deal with, and I am not ashamed!

A bit of backstory, only because it makes some of my commentary make sense: My husband is a serious alcoholic. He hid it from me for years, and I learned the truth three-and-a-half years ago. Since then there have been stints in rehab, loss of his job, lots of drama and difficulty (including the death of his mother). I almost didn't let him go on our first cruise, but relented at the last minute. We have been living separately since right after we got home, and he will not be accompanying us this time.

The kids:
Elliott. 8 (will be 9 when we cruise). Smart and outgoing and just wonderful. Losing his grandmother was extremely difficult for him, in the midst of a lot of family upheaval and uncertainty. He is wise beyond his years and deserves this dream vacation!

Oliver. 5 (will be 6). My silly little crazy boy. This child is almost too friendly, but that will serve him well onboard! Everyone is his best friend. I expect that someday I will see him onstage. He is just that kind of kid.

This trip is all about fun and happiness - we will follow the same rule we follow at Disneyland: leave the real world behind! When we walk into Disneyland, we always pause to read the sign as we head in: “"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy." We truly leave behind "today" and give ourselves over to the fantasy - I can't wait to do it again on board the Wonder!

Last edited:
My mom and I are on the cruise with you! Sounds like you need this vacation. Mom was born in the Coco Solo Canal Zone in Panama so it's like "going home" for her. We are leaving my dad and my husband at home so lots of mother daughter bonding. We'll see how it works out!

Subbing! I am anxiously awaiting being able to book the EBPC next week when the rest of 2015 comes out. Can't wait to hear how the trip goes for you!!!

My mom and I are on the cruise with you! Sounds like you need this vacation. Mom was born in the Coco Solo Canal Zone in Panama so it's like "going home" for her. We are leaving my dad and my husband at home so lots of mother daughter bonding. We'll see how it works out!

We are so excited - the next year is going to feel so long, isn't it? Your mother must really be looking forward to this! I am hoping to convince my parents to come along, though it is a long shot. They did a Panama Canal cruise a couple of years ago on Celebrity and are reluctant to try two weeks on Disney their first time.

Subbing! I am anxiously awaiting being able to book the EBPC next week when the rest of 2015 comes out. Can't wait to hear how the trip goes for you!!!

Welcome!

We live in San Diego, so the westbound is the perfect one for us! We will fly to Florida, fulfilling the boys' desire to get on an airplane. Then we will get picked up at the port in San Diego and zip home. We live just across the bay from the port, in Coronado. Actually, tomorrow the Wonder will be in port after this year's WBPC. It will be much nicer seeing her knowing that in a year it is our turn!

I actually need to try to pace myself a bit, because I don't want to burn myself out! The second I booked the cruise I started looking at hotels, despite the fact that we won't be able to book our flights for months. I started to choose our excursions, though who knows what will still be available by the time we are allowed to check in! I've started collecting random little things I see for the FE, and making a list of ideas - which is getting huge! How am I going to decide?! I keep getting new inspiration!

I actually need to try to pace myself a bit, because I don't want to burn myself out! The second I booked the cruise I started looking at hotels, despite the fact that we won't be able to book our flights for months. I started to choose our excursions, though who knows what will still be available by the time we are allowed to check in! I've started collecting random little things I see for the FE, and making a list of ideas - which is getting huge! How am I going to decide?! I keep getting new inspiration!
I've been doing the same thing. I know we are flying Southwest which only flies into FLL, so I've been looking at transportation, hotel options and I too have been looking at this years excursions. My mom has mobility issues so we probably won't do to much. I've been thinking of adding a stop over in Orlando so we can go to Flower and Garden. I need an intervention!

I've been doing the same thing. I know we are flying Southwest which only flies into FLL, so I've been looking at transportation, hotel options and I too have been looking at this years excursions. My mom has mobility issues so we probably won't do to much. I've been thinking of adding a stop over in Orlando so we can go to Flower and Garden. I need an intervention!

I wish we could go to Disney World before the cruise! It kills me that we will be so close and aren't going to go, but it would mean taking the kids out of school for a full three weeks. I just can't justify it, as much as I try! That will have to be its own trip someday.

Today we were out and about and saw (over and over!) the Wonder in port, just back from this year's westbound Panama Canal trip. We actually drove right past her because we had to pick my parents up from the airport (back from an Alaska Cruise on Celebrity!) The boys and I did get a little bit verklempt, but knowing that we are all booked and will be aboard in less than a year helped! I'm home now, but in the next hour or so I imagine I will be hearing the sound of the horn as she heads off on her next (quick) voyage!

We are discussing making this trip into a reality for our family as well. I've never cruised, and while my boyfriend isn't a Disney fan, cruising through the Canal is on his bucket list. I finally got him to agree to forgo a huge wedding for a nice vacation, so "fingers crossed!" it all works out.

If not, I'm really excited to read about your families adventure!

We booked this cruise so early that there wasn't anything much to post about here! However, last week I noticed that airfare had gone down and I booked our flights! I was planning to wait for Southwest to release their flights, which probably would be a few more months yet, but for about $100 more total (including allowing for luggage charges) we are going to fly on American instead. The peace of mind of knowing we will be sitting together on both legs of the trip makes it so worth it, plus we get in a full hour earlier. Since we are flying into Fort Lauderdale and traveling into Miami, it will be nice to get to our hotel before dinner time.

We are booked with a group from our meet-up at the Doubletree right by the port, which should be nice. The kids are excited about check-in cookies, and I will be glad to be so close to port!

I'm glad to have finalized all of the major parts of our vacation, because family stuff is in a bad place again and it has been incredibly stressful for me, and I can see the strain on the kids. It's hard on them, despite the fact that I shield them as much as possible. Other than those beautiful children, having this vacation on the horizon is the thing that helps me get through each day! There's nothing like a paid-in-full dream vacation to give you a little boost!

School starts on Thursday (how is summer over already?!), which means I will have a little room to breathe - though it also means I have to start thinking about when to tell the boys' teachers that they will need to be out for more than two weeks in May! I sure hope they have teachers that consider traveling to new and interesting locales a wonderful learning experience!

So, tonight was back to school/parents' night at Elliott's school - and in her intro talk his teacher commented that she thinks some of the most important learning takes place outside of school, and if you're going to take a trip just make sure to turn in the appropriate paperwork and she will give the bare minimum required by the school in homework. I swear, I almost started crying! I am choosing at least some of our shore excursions based on the fact that I want the kids to learn about and be exposed to new cultures and history, so I really do feel like the experience is going to be educational in a lot of ways. I'm just so happy to hear that he isn't going to be bogged down by schoolwork AND that his teacher is actually totally supportive of the idea! Oliver is in kindergarten, so I know it isn't usually a big deal over there. Yay!

I will be on this cruise too, and I'm also driving myself crazy with planning:rotfl2:. The good and bad of booking so far in advance. I am also booked on a Baja cruise in October of next year. I see that you have an October cruise as well. We got really excited when we realized that they have Halloween parties on the ships. We hadn't realized that when we booked.

Another one here who will be on the cruise with you Erin. So excited to read your pre-trippy, I was wondering whether it was too early to start my own.

I feel like it's so far out that there hasn't been much to post! Every once in a while I make progress, like booking flights or talking to teachers about the trip. But otherwise it's just us at home chomping at the bit! Elliott and I did go to the park down the street a couple of weeks ago, where we could see the Wonder in port getting ready to head off on the eastbound Panama Canal transit. That was a lot of fun - when we left we knew that the next time we saw her it would be our turn!

At least we are heading into the holidays! October through December are always so busy and feel like they go by quickly. Before we know it it'll be the new year and time to really get down to business!

Erin, thanks so much for being an over sharer. I think we would be shocked by some of the reasons individuals decide to take a Disney cruise. Our 1st cruise was booked a little over 2 years ago. The reason I booked it was because of the terrible torture and loss we had just been through. I decided I needed something really special to plan. The planning got me through the worst of my grief and anger. So that's how my obsession began. We are joining you on this cruise.

Erin, thanks so much for being an over sharer. I think we would be shocked by some of the reasons individuals decide to take a Disney cruise. Our 1st cruise was booked a little over 2 years ago. The reason I booked it was because of the terrible torture and loss we had just been through. I decided I needed something really special to plan. The planning got me through the worst of my grief and anger. So that's how my obsession began. We are joining you on this cruise.

Isn't having something to look forward to the best medicine there is? Particularly something like a Disney cruise, where you can really throw yourself into the planning of it? Reading these boards, poring over previous navigators, reading trip reports... all of it builds up the anticipation and gives you something to do when you're feeling low. Our first cruise on DCL was much the same, coming more than a year into my husband's troubles but right before things got really bad, and my mother worried that it was going to be built up too much and could be a disappointment in the end. Luckily, my planning helped to make it perfect and everything lived up to our expectations! There's something wonderful about leaving the real world behind!

Hi, Erin! Subbing along!!!

My family also LOVES DCL! If I'm not mistaken, I think you were originally booked for the Ensenada May cruise 2015 but then decided on the panama can instead? I remember your username at the time of booking because I had some questions about San Diego and you were so helpful! :flower3:

I'm sorry that your family has found some rough times, but I'm so glad that you have something joyous to look forward to! :thumbsup2

Look forward to hearing more! :wave2:

Welcome! Yes, we were originally planning to do the Ensenada cruise, and then my father-in-law told us that he was going to give us a trip - it just made sense to switch to the longer Disney cruise, ending right at our home! I'm glad I was able to help! Let me know if you have any more questions. I've lived here my whole life, so I'm pretty good!

We are getting SO excited about this trip! This weekend the boys slept in my room, so I heard it when Elliott woke up in the morning and the first thing he said was, "I can't wait for the cruise!" I told him the time should pass a bit faster for a while with the holidays, and then when that is over we will only have four months left and I will start to go into serious planning mode.

Now that the holidays are over, it's time to start getting prepared for the big vacation! Over the next couple of weeks I'm going to start making smaller lists out of the huge list I've been compiling in a document every time I think of something. It's totally random right now. For example, here's a small chunk:

• Monopod for camera so we can take pictures of ourselves together??
  • Pack breakfast/snacks cause we probably won't have time to eat during our layover. There will also be expensive snacks for sale on the plane.
  • Buy some extra lanyard pockets cause I hear the ones they give you wear out fast
  • If I want to check in on FB from a cafe or something – my tablet doesn't connect to anything but wifi, so I won't be in danger of random charges if I use that.
  • Art of Theme Ship Tour – this is the one I want to do NOT the “walking ship tour” on Day 1
  • Kids bring cruise ears/autograph books!
  • Buy sunscreen
  • Tip: Deck 4 is great for Panama Canal viewing
  • Movie theater candy

I need to break it out and make shopping lists, "to do" lists, reminder lists, etc., etc. That will be fun, knowing that things are getting close enough to actually need to do shopping. I love making lists and checking things off of them, so it will be very satisfying. :)

I also need to buckle down and start thinking about what I'm going to do for our FE exchange. This week is the PIF date, so I imagine a wave of people will drop out before we start seeing new people showing up. I have another list of ideas I've had, but it's hard to narrow it down! I have a bunch of little things I've picked up over the last eight months, mostly for kids, but I don't have a cohesive plan yet. Our trip goes from May 1-15, so there are multiple fun things in there that could be worked in - Mother's Day, Cinco de Mayo, even "May the Fourth (Be With You)." And we're from San Diego, where the cruise finishes up, so I keep thinking that maybe I should do something that would be handy for someone coming to our city. Oh, and the Avengers 2 comes out while we are on the trip, so something related to that might be fun! You can see why I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed coming up with ideas; there are too darn many of them!

Anyway, it is obvious that I need to get organized and start getting ready! I can't wait! I hope everyone has been having a wonderful holiday season!

Hi Erin
We will be joining you on this cruise. I lost my dad three months ago after 18 months of watching him suffer (brain tumor).
We were given some money from dad and decided that this is the best way to spend it.

I will be travelling with hubby and my two sons Ceejay who turns twelve on the cruise and Koby who will be 8. We will be coming from far far away (New Zealand) so hoping the jet lag has disappeared by the time the cruise comes along!:cheer2::cheer2:

Looking forward to getting to know you

Take care
Deb

Hi Erin
We will be joining you on this cruise. I lost my dad three months ago after 18 months of watching him suffer (brain tumor).
We were given some money from dad and decided that this is the best way to spend it.

I will be travelling with hubby and my two sons Ceejay who turns twelve on the cruise and Koby who will be 8. We will be coming from far far away (New Zealand) so hoping the jet lag has disappeared by the time the cruise comes along!:cheer2::cheer2:

Looking forward to getting to know you

Take care
Deb

Welcome!

I'm so sorry about your father. Having something to look forward to has been a very important distraction for us and I hope that it helps you as well.

We will look forward to getting to know you, and glad to have you aboard! The cruise group has been very active and seems to be full of nice people, so it should be a great one! In addition to the FE (which I saw you can't do), we have all sorts of other little things you might want to check out, like a candy exchange, private mixology, etc. Less than two weeks until double digits in the countdown!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter