I feel SICK! Please tell me this is a glitch and our trip is not gone!!

That's not true. Yes there are more risks to the renter for sure. Absolutely. However the owner is responsible for any damage to the unit.

And paypal. There are two sides to protect in every DVC transaction. The owner needs to be protected as well. When I first rented - my renter wanted me to do Paypal. I didn't have it but thought - let me come here and see people's thoughts on it helping trust. Well I got a surprise. Many DVCers came on to tell me negative stories they had with Paypal with their businesses - mostly delayed/held? payment or none with grievances (or whatever the word was). And they openly wondered if a renter could do the same if they had a issue with the vacation (obviously not likely but they wondered IF). Another talked about how someone stealing their identity though her Paypal account and it was a horror story and she felt Paypal did not help.

Yes, I realize many love Paypal and do great business with them. I am not anti-paypal. I own DVC but rented last year using Paypal requested by the owner. But the conversation on here was eye opening.

OP - I'm very happy it all worked out. :goodvibes

I do have a curiousity though. Did you rent knowing/saying BW view or no BWV transaction? That was not clear. (I'm unsure if you even knew it was a distinct booking category so I'm certainly not trying to stir the pot - simply nosy and curious :lmao:)

When we first checked availability we said we would love BW view but originally asked for a standard view to save money. That was not available for our week so we said we would like to take the Boardwalk view after talking about it and actually becoming very happy at the thought of having the actual boardwalk view. We decided it would be well worth the extra money. That is why when the papers came in saying garden I was confused as to why it was not showing bw view. When I spoke to the member they were confused on that as well and said they would give them a call to check on it and try to make sure it was fixed. :)

Anyways, sorry to cause any disagreements. I had no intention of doing that at all. It is just that when it is 1am and you are worried to death you want some place to turn and try to get some answers. ;)

I am very grateful for all of the wonderful advice and kind words while I was so worried. Thank you all very much!

I am so happy that it was nothing more than miscommunication. (and to those who asked, yes I was given contact numbers for the member but since they were work #'s and it was the weekend I figured it could possibly be the work week before I was going to be able to talk with them)

I felt I was very respectful to the members privacy/name and I am sorry if anyone thought otherwise. :guilty:

I'm so glad everything worked out! I would have freaked too ;)

Respectfully, I do not agree. I am an owner and I know that 99% of the risk is on the renter. You can very easily make a reservation, send someone a letter, and then after getting the money, cancel the reservation.

The renter cannot even call Member Services to get any type of information so they are left in the dark HOPING and TRUSTING until the day the vacation comes that they actually have a reservation & all is okay.

I know if I rented, I would be checking regularly. I would want to know that I could get a quick response. I, as an owner, would want to provide that to a renter. You can call Disney seven days a week if you reserved a room through them. If you are going to rent points to a person, I don't think getting back to someone in three or four days is asking too much. Don't rent your points if you can't be more responsible. I have to wonder if the only reason they checked on it was because of this forum.
If you are someone who does not use email, you should provide an alternative method of communication such as a phone number. Rent your points professionally.
One who rents their points can exercise control, and minimize their risk by simple things like only renting current Use Year points, reasonable lead times for deposits/final payment, non cancelation options, and only renting early in the UY. Even at that, it's certainly more than 1% of the risk, I'd put it at 20/80 to 10/90% if they position themselves correctly. If the choices they make are less protecting the risk quickly and dramatically shift to the owner and away from the rentee.

When we first checked availability we said we would love BW view but originally asked for a standard view to save money. That was not available for our week so we said we would like to take the Boardwalk view after talking about it and actually becoming very happy at the thought of having the actual boardwalk view. We decided it would be well worth the extra money. That is why when the papers came in saying garden I was confused as to why it was not showing bw view. When I spoke to the member they were confused on that as well and said they would give them a call to check on it and try to make sure it was fixed. :)

:

You're going to love BWV. I'm so glad everything worked out. :goodvibes

I've owned at BWV for five years and I will have my first BW view room this December as well. Can not wait.

Oh and I just noticed it's your first MVMCP as well. Nice. Trip report please! Smiling.

I'm glad that worked out for you. The lesson learned should get put in a rental guide note for renters. Seems this happens alot. :confused3

So Glad this has a happy ending. I've always posted that's it's more than renting a room. You have to check your email regularly, tell your renters when you are going out of town etc. Classic example of why I don't understand those that rent for bargain basement prices.

Glad it is resolved.

The renter and owner should smile and forget about the stress.

Communication in any business transaction is always a hard thing from both sides of a deal.

Renter: Send the Owner a Post Card from Disney thanking them.
I liked the idea of the Dole Whip, but the charges for dry ice would be astronomical.

Have a Magical Vacation !

The issue about the BW view vs the Garden view is a bit upsetting to me. To me it's clear that the OP doesn't understand the chances of getting the BW view and the Standard view. Together those two views are about 40% of the resort and usually go first. I would have expected the DVC member to explain that while the OP might want the BW View or the standard view, the odds were against them unless they booked at 11 months out. The pool/garden view is 60% of the resort.

I think someone renting a reservation needs to do their homework to understand the process (you are not always going to get exactly what you want if you don't plan 11 months out exactly - even then it's not a slamdunk) and the member really needs to let the non-member know the details.

well i'm glad qthing worked out. :flower3:

however, i agree with d.nutz. is this your first time renting?

...i think that explained how things got so scary. [ i would be too].
we are new owners, & i have been on path of higher learning.
spent a whole afternoon with q.s. & going over the potential
dangers of renting our points. while the one poster may disagreed &
may be an owner,does not mean he knows the % of risks. for that i
would rely on member services. i wish it was just 1% chance on
owners.

this situation made the case for me, it is best to rent to family & close
friends.
even so, i think the dvc needs to look @ renting and address some of
the problems effecting owners. renters have no right to expect the same
benefits of owners. [ we're blt owners, & many renters have posted
they are going to try to sneak up to the towl lounge though they know
they are not supposed to.]

while i totally against professional renters, this type of situation
gives me more respect for the job they are trying to do. since one
is a sponser here, i wonder if he has suggestions that would have
helped both parties? maybe new renters should begin with him since
he does it for a living-would be less chances for problems @ both
ends? [ my guess , some are going as cheap as the can but in the
end, i think some things are worth paying for-peace of mind. ]

i also think those "rallying", are not realistic. if you pay money for
a product then i don't think it unreasonable to expect what you
was promised. any renting should be after all the owners have made
their choices. any renter found breaking the major rules should not be
permitted to rent in the future. some of the abusing of rooms
should also be dealth with..liked holes in the walls. and i think
if dvc would address the renting issues with a few specfic conditions
then there would be less misunderstandings. all around.

instead dvc is just ignoring the problem, & refusing to get involved.
but if they permit renting, sooner or later someone will make a
connection to them.

ps., i read your previous trip report, it was grand & wonderful.
hope all your troubles are behind you now, & extra magic for the
trip you are dreaming for. pixiedust:

[ we're blt owners, & many renters have posted
they are going to try to sneak up to the towl lounge though they know
they are not supposed to.]
We are renting at BLT next year. From what I've read on here (Dis), from long time posters, our travelling party ARE allowed to go to TOWL.

while i totally against professional renters, this type of situation
gives me more respect for the job they are trying to do. since one
is a sponser here, i wonder if he has suggestions that would have
helped both parties? maybe new renters should begin with him since
he does it for a living-would be less chances for problems @ both
ends? [ my guess , some are going as cheap as the can but in the
end, i think some things are worth paying for-peace of mind. ]
Agreed. Some things are worth paying for extra piece of mind. BUT the "professional" renters are charging $2-3 more per point (if not more). We're only going for 5 nights, but that would be an extra $600. Can't swing it. If it was only $1/pt, that's more manageable.

Wonderful news! This is EXACTLY what happened! They just sent me an email. They had done a wait-list for Boardwalk view and I had no idea. It came through on the 12th and they were not notified so they just checked it and sent me the info.

I can not tell you guys how much better I feel right now. This scared me to death...lol I can not imagine this actually happening to somebody and them really loosing their vacation. :(

On a not so good note- I guess the renter was quite upset with me for posting on the dis and a webmaster contacting them to ask about it which I feel SO BAD about. I guess I should not jump to conclusions and open my big mouth so fast. I hope they will forgive me for posting. I did not give their name to ANYONE but a webmaster so I do hope they are not too upset with me.

Thank you all so much for giving me options for what may have been going on and helping me feel better today! You are the best!

Well, it sems to me you had done a great deal of attempting to reach them with no reply before you posted anything at all, and you didn't mention their name, so I think the renter is being too sensitive. Hadn't you emailed and left voice messages? Those should have been answered promptly unless the person was away..and yet, they seemed to get a message from the webmaster right away. So, I think they knew you were attempting to contact them and just blew you off for whatever reason.
That said, I'm glad this has worked out! What a great time and wonderful view you'll have :)
Edited to add: I thought you had said you had called phone numbers. but it looks like it was just emails. Anyway..still...if the person who responded so quickly to the webmaster would have done the same courtesy to the renter, none of this would have happened. A good lesson..this also makes me glad I have my own DVC..I rented some points out once and think I did all that was asked and the whole thing went fine, but I really think if I had to rent out again, or if I wanted to take a trip on points that I would rent, I'd be more likely to use a professional renter..and I was really against that not long ago...Having a middle man doesn't sound like such a bad idea anymore.

I am so happy that things worked out for you:banana:.
I have rented my pts once b/f and right now I am in the process b/c I will lose them. It takes trust on both sides. That said, to ignore emails for three weeks would be cause for concern add to that after no receiving a response hearing reservation cancelled:scared1:.
Excuses others made about maybe the person doesn't use email often. Well then they should tell you the best way to contact me is ______.
When I rented b/f the person had my name, address, email, and cell ph#. Actually we became friends and she had my home ph#. I wanted her to feel confident and secure.
You did not do anything wrong, as you pointed out you never disclosed a name.
IMHO, seems that if you would have received a answer, Doc would never have to contact the person.
Enjoy your trip. You earned it!:goodvibes

The issue about the BW view vs the Garden view is a bit upsetting to me. To me it's clear that the OP doesn't understand the chances of getting the BW view and the Standard view. Together those two views are about 40% of the resort and usually go first. I would have expected the DVC member to explain that while the OP might want the BW View or the standard view, the odds were against them unless they booked at 11 months out. The pool/garden view is 60% of the resort.

I think someone renting a reservation needs to do their homework to understand the process (you are not always going to get exactly what you want if you don't plan 11 months out exactly - even then it's not a slamdunk) and the member really needs to let the non-member know the details.

Yes, but from one of the OP posts, it sounds like both the owner and the renter thought that a BW view room had been reserved, but in fact, it had not.

She mentions she was told it was available when the owner told her SV was not. Obviously, a mistake was made when the original booking took place and the only way to try to correct it was a wait list.

One who rents their points can exercise control, and minimize their risk by simple things like only renting current Use Year points, reasonable lead times for deposits/final payment, non cancelation options, and only renting early in the UY. Even at that, it's certainly more than 1% of the risk, I'd put it at 20/80 to 10/90% if they position themselves correctly. If the choices they make are less protecting the risk quickly and dramatically shift to the owner and away from the rentee.

I respectfully disagree with this one statement. If the owner of the points borrows points or does not use their use year properly then he or she has put themself in this postion. They as the owner still have control and did not have to do this. The renter has no idea how owner controls their point usage. The RISK for the renter NEVER changes. And I do agree there is more risk to the owner if they do not manage their point properly... But again the owner created that risk.

And I agree it is more than 1%. I was just trying to show that the bigger risk is always with the renter. I am also an owner and I would never put myself at risk of losing points. If I did so I would advise the renter that the points are non refundable and if this is acceptable we can continue with the transaction.

And I agree it is more than 1%. I was just trying to show that the bigger risk is always with the renter. I am also an owner and I would never put myself at risk of losing points. If I did so I would advise the renter that the points are non refundable and if this is acceptable we can continue with the transaction.

After my last 2 experiences with guests staying on my points, owners are more vulnerable than they think! Twice my guests were allowed to check out and leave balances on their accounts (thru no fault of their own) and neither myself or my guests were notified until 6 months later when DVC attached the balances to my account. It had to be paid before I could borrow, transfer or make new reservations. I missed a booking window because of it. Thankfully my guests were people I knew and once sorted they took of it, but I cant imagine if someone set out intentionally to do this:scared1:

I stick with people I know. I also dont need a mod calling me at home.;)

Wonderful news! This is EXACTLY what happened! They just sent me an email. They had done a wait-list for Boardwalk view and I had no idea. It came through on the 12th and they were not notified so they just checked it and sent me the info.

I can not tell you guys how much better I feel right now. This scared me to death...lol I can not imagine this actually happening to somebody and them really loosing their vacation. :(

On a not so good note- I guess the renter was quite upset with me for posting on the dis and a webmaster contacting them to ask about it which I feel SO BAD about. I guess I should not jump to conclusions and open my big mouth so fast. I hope they will forgive me for posting. I did not give their name to ANYONE but a webmaster so I do hope they are not too upset with me.

Thank you all so much for giving me options for what may have been going on and helping me feel better today! You are the best!

I am so happy for you that everything turned out ok.

The owner has every right to be upset...with himself...for not replying to any of the 3 emails you've sent him over the last month!

There is no reason whatever for you to feel bad about reaching out to others on the DIS or for the Webmaster contacting him on your behalf. You did nothing wrong. Quite to the contrary an informed renter, like you, is a good renter as far as I'm concerned. If anything he should hope you forgive him for putting you through this. Fact is this easily could have been avoidded if he had been paying attention to his rental.

I'm happy things worked out and all is well. Have a great vacation.

I have to agree with you , it was do to a lack of communication on the side of the person renting the points to the OP, if the OP had been told that the new request had been put in and wait listed and that the reservation number would change when and if the wait list came thru the OP would not have paniced.

After my last 2 experiences with guests staying on my points, owners are more vulnerable than they think! Twice my guests were allowed to check out and leave balances on their accounts (thru no fault of their own) and neither myself or my guests were notified until 6 months later when DVC attached the balances to my account. It had to be paid before I could borrow, transfer or make new reservations. I missed a booking window because of it. Thankfully my guests were people I knew and once sorted they took of it, but I cant imagine if someone set out intentionally to do this:scared1:

I stick with people I know. I also dont need a mod calling me at home.;)

Did your guests not have a Credit Card on file? How did this happen?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter