I don't want to rent/sell my points - How do I use?

sagosto

Mouseketeer
I have 200 direct Riveria w/ OCT UY and 77 available after last week's trip. I just purchased another 150 direct Riviera so we can upgrade from 8 day deluxe in Jan/Feb to 8-9 day 1BR suite in Nov. I was planning to do DL in Jan 2025 and then WDW in Nov 2025. But, instead, I booked Jan 2025 on DCL Treasure and now worried I won't be able to use my points. I COULD do DL late Jun 2025 after the 2 girls (6/9) are out of school and then WDW in Nov but it feels too 'close'. Instead of DL, I could go back to WDW but late June Florida isn't appealing. I debated Aulani but think they will get bored and Maui is still recovering. Hilton Head isn't on the water so boss won't go for that. Vero Beach is on the water but do I want to 'spend' my points on just a typical resort? Disney Paris is very intriguing but not sure how the girls will handle international. Aside from using DVC on the core resorts, am I just better off selling them rather than trying to reuse them for DCL, Paris, etc. due to the bad value? Is there any resources/spreadsheets to help with decision?

I think you should take another look at HHI. It is my favorite DVC location. Your girls are the perfect age for fishing/crabbing off the pier, bicycling, and playing in the usually calm beach waters. Other than that, just bank the points and use for a 2 bedroom in 2026.

I think you should take another look at HHI. It is my favorite DVC location. Your girls are the perfect age for fishing/crabbing off the pier, bicycling, and playing in the usually calm beach waters. Other than that, just bank the points and use for a 2 bedroom in 2026.

^^^All of this :)

HHI is one of DVC's best kept secrets. You won't even care that its not "on" the water. The CM's are the best, they will know your children's names by the end of your first day. It is such a relaxing resort.

Last edited:
I was not expecting that. The boss isn't giving it any thought as it is not on the water and think the kids will be bored. I'll talk to her. Is it fair to say that if the points are not used for WDW Resort, then renting is the best option? Is it $18 or $20 ppl lately? And, I can't find the spreadsheet/resource that had the various resorts and their availability by room/month. Anyone have that?

Aulani is wonderful (it's our home resort so I'm biased) but I don't see what "Maui is still recovering" has to do with Aulani since the resort is on the island of Oahu. I can't imagine being "bored" in Hawaii either but again biased as we love Hawaii in general 🤩😂

Aulani is wonderful (it's our home resort so I'm biased) but I don't see what "Maui is still recovering" has to do with Aulani since the resort is on the island of Oahu. I can't imagine being "bored" in Hawaii either but again biased as we love Hawaii in general 🤩😂
This! Aulani is not any part of Maui recovery.

This! Aulani is not any part of Maui recovery.
I think he said something about his wife would want to only spend 4 days there, then island hop to Maui.

For me, I can’t stand island hopping. It adds a level of complexity to what should be a very relaxing vacation. Pick an island, get there, and relax. Also, aside from population density, Maui and Oahu are very similar islands once you’re outside of Honolulu. Yes they have their differences, and Maui isn’t Oahu, but since you’re already committed to Oahu and Aulani, I wouldn’t do an Oahu/Maui split stay regardless. If I WAS going to do a second island, I’d go Big Island or Kauai.

I think he said something about his wife would want to only spend 4 days there, then island hop to Maui.

For me, I can’t stand island hopping. It adds a level of complexity to what should be a very relaxing vacation. Pick an island, get there, and relax. Also, aside from population density, Maui and Oahu are very similar islands once you’re outside of Honolulu. Yes they have their differences, and Maui isn’t Oahu, but since you’re already committed to Oahu and Aulani, I wouldn’t do an Oahu/Maui split stay regardless. If I WAS going to do a second island, I’d go Big Island or Kauai.
So, as far as Maui goes.

1. Maui wants tourists. It's the basis of their economy. No tourists = lost jobs. Yes, Old Town Lahaina is gone, but Maui is open for business.

2. If you're still uncomfortable with Maui, the resorts on the Kona Coast are amazing (Big Island) and Kauai is stunningly beautiful.

For anything other than using your points to stay at DVC, it’s usually best to rent out your points and use the cash to pay for whatever you want to do instead. Take a look at the DVC Rental Store website (a DIS sponsor) where they list all of the reservations that they are looking for a points owner to make. Last time I looked there were a ton of requests for RIV, and they make the whole process super easy.

So, as far as Maui goes.

1. Maui wants tourists. It's the basis of their economy. No tourists = lost jobs. Yes, Old Town Lahaina is gone, but Maui is open for business.

2. If you're still uncomfortable with Maui, the resorts on the Kona Coast are amazing (Big Island) and Kauai is stunningly beautiful.
I like Maui. I’m just saying if you’re dead set on doing island hopping, I wouldn’t split between Oahu and Maui. I’d go Oahu OR Maui and either Kauai or the Big Island.

It’s a personal thing I guess, but I find that scenery and geography-wise, Oahu and Maui are very similar islands (definitely different crowd and vibe-wise) and if I were going to the bother of a split stay, I’d want to mix it up more and hit one of the other two islands mentioned. Since you’re already at Aulani, go to the other two and save Maui for another trip.

I like Maui. I’m just saying if you’re dead set on doing island hopping, I wouldn’t split between Oahu and Maui. I’d go Oahu OR Maui and either Kauai or the Big Island.

It’s a personal thing I guess, but I find that scenery and geography-wise, Oahu and Maui are very similar islands (definitely different crowd and vibe-wise) and if I were going to the bother of a split stay, I’d want to mix it up more and hit one of the other two islands mentioned. Since you’re already at Aulani, go to the other two and save Maui for another trip.
I'm a Big Island girlie, personally. I like to spend a day or two on the Kohala Coast then bop down to Volcano and stay in a rainforest cottage with outdoor hot tub for a few days.

Yes but I am pushing the problem until the next year. I am trying to find another way to use the points where the exchange is not terrible. I am guessing it's just to rent them at the market rate ($18?)
The process I use to determine whether the exchange rate is useful:
1) Price out the "vacation I want" by paying cash
2) Determine amount of points needed to get close to the "vacation I want"
3) Multiply points needed by the going rate to rent or transfer to get the dollar value by using points
4) Compare the cash booking value (1) with the point needed value (3).

Often I find that using the points for a stay at other-than-DVC-resorts puts me in a limited position to lodging location and room type. With a cash booking I have greater flexibility and room choice. Often I find that #3 (dollar value of using points for a non-DVC-resort) far exceeds the cash booking option. Therefore, if I know I can't use the points in two years, I'm pricing and comparing options. If renting, I prefer to do that much earlier on in the use year instead of waiting till last moment. If transferring, those need to be in the same use year. One cannot transfer out banked points.

^^^All of this :)

HHI is one of DVC's best kept secrets. You won't even care that its not "on" the water. The CM's are the best, they will know your children's names by the end of your first day. It is such a relaxing resort.

First, I LOVE Hilton Head. It isn't on the water, but the way its tucked back along the river makes you feel like you are somewhere else entirely.

But, if they don't own HHI, getting HHI in June after school is out is pretty much a non-starter. Right now, at seven months out, the most you can get for August 2024 is a night or two in a row. Even for September of 2024 - more than seven months out and when school is back is session, nights are missing. You could try walking into it, but no guarantees since owners own HHI for the Summer. (We tend to go in February and are in fact leaving in nine days).

How about pushing the problem forward and bringing friends or family. Friends and family can be a pain in the back end, but its what we've traditionally done when we have too many points.

The other thing to do is recognize that you have sunk costs - you've already bought, you are in for dues, so...don't worry too much about getting the best value. If you want to use your points for something that isn't a good value, do so. I wouldn't recommend anyone buy to use points on DCL, but once you have the points its a different decision.

I COULD do DL late Jun 2025 after the 2 girls (6/9) are out of school and then WDW in Nov but it feels too 'close'.
You don't say where you are based or how much WDW you've experienced, but DL in June and WDW in Nov can be very different trips. By November (you don't say when) there will be Christmas parties, and holiday decorations, and if you haven't seen WDW during that season, it's really special. You can do a lot more resort-only stuff that's unique to WDW, or focus on attractions that aren't found at DL.

(we have 5 trips scheduled for 2024 right now - one is a girls' weekend, another is a wedding anniversary with kids, a summer birthdays with another family, then Thanksgiving + surprise birthday for one kid, and Christmas week that we will try to go to either DL or Aulani with my dad and sister.)

All will be different and only the wedding anniversary weekend and Thanksgiving are our family alone.

I also second the Hawaii suggestions if you don't want to do DL / WDW, or HHI (I haven't been yet).

Other people also use points for Vero Beach before or after a DCL cruise out of Port Canaveral.

She would want to spend 4 days or so and then hop
Well good news is you only have enough points for about 4 days anyways unless you are borrowing. Do a 1 bedroom ocean view.

Your kids are a great age for Aulani. Not sure where you are travelling from but Aulani is your best chance to book vs HHI or Vero beach. You’d have to work hard to not have fun at these places 🤣

Unless you want the cash I don’t see any reason to rent, keep banking if needed or upgrade to a 2 bedroom!

Correct. We wouldn't spend the entire time at Aulani. I really like Pearl Harbor but doubt the kids will care at all. The boss really likes Maui as it feels much more tropical to her. I really liked Big Island but doing 3 hops might be too much.

For anything other than using your points to stay at DVC, it’s usually best to rent out your points and use the cash to pay for whatever you want to do instead. Take a look at the DVC Rental Store website (a DIS sponsor) where they list all of the reservations that they are looking for a points owner to make. Last time I looked there were a ton of requests for RIV, and they make the whole process super easy.

THIS is what I wanted to confirm. I can go to the rental websites to see the current market rate (I believe $18pp right now).

If I am going to Hawaii, I will want to go to Aulani so that poses a problem. I haven't been to Hawaii for about 10 years so I don't have a vivid memory but remembering Maui feeling more 'special' if that means anything.

First, I LOVE Hilton Head. It isn't on the water, but the way its tucked back along the river makes you feel like you are somewhere else entirely.

But, if they don't own HHI, getting HHI in June after school is out is pretty much a non-starter. Right now, at seven months out, the most you can get for August 2024 is a night or two in a row. Even for September of 2024 - more than seven months out and when school is back is session, nights are missing. You could try walking into it, but no guarantees since owners own HHI for the Summer. (We tend to go in February and are in fact leaving in nine days).

Honestly, this is VERY surprising as I thought it was just another resort and expensive. I need to investigate more to make sure the girls wouldn't be bored.

How about pushing the problem forward and bringing friends or family. Friends and family can be a pain in the back end, but its what we've traditionally done when we have too many points.

The other thing to do is recognize that you have sunk costs - you've already bought, you are in for dues, so...don't worry too much about getting the best value. If you want to use your points for something that isn't a good value, do so. I wouldn't recommend anyone buy to use points on DCL, but once you have the points its a different decision.

I COULD push the problem down the road but just trying to be prepared. I love reading how generous ppl are with taking their family/friends -- that's not me. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter