I don't understand why its such a big deal to take your children out of school..

skbasnett said:
I really should not have to state this again, but I guess that I do. I am not a teacher. I am just defending them because they work very hard and get very little out of it. I am a travel agent. Please quit saying that I am a teacher.

By the way, teachers do not get paid for the summer. My mom and sister are over and showed them this thread. They would love to see some of you come up here and try to work with the supplies they do not have.

In a later post I attributed you as having a relative (though didn't say your name).

I edited in reaction to reading multiple posts picking apart my posts. My apologies--but I didn't call you directly a teacher.

I am not an idiot. I know that teachers don't get paid for summer. They get a salary to teach x number of days or months per year. They can choose to have the paycheck divvied by teh teaching months or by calendar months--I know several who choose calendar months as they don't want to have to deal with disciplining themselves and having to worry about covering rent over the summer.

I don't know why you guys are thinking I actually think that. You really must think I am an idiot as I have not ONCE said--that they get summers off paid.

So please quit making those type of directed statements at me.

Just like you aren't a teacher--but know a few...I am not a teacher..but know a few--more than a few.

And for ease of searching--I'll direct you to the first punch:

skbasnett said:
Lisa loves Pooh said:
(And before you bash me as a teacher hater--I don't hate teachers..could they earn more money--sure! But you aren't paid for clock hours. You are paid for the contracted days as someone put it--and technically..any additional time required outside of those days to prepare for classes and grade).

I dont see how that can be backed up since I know for a fact that they spend a good amount of their weekends ~ their free time ~ getting the next test ready or grading papers. OK...so I guess the teachers can do alot less then. Then they should do alot less because once you break down their pay to what they would be getting per hour, dont forget to include the home prep time that they use, they definatley deserve raises. OR...they could just not do anything in their free time and let the kids suffer....hmmmm....

Also, what was stated is hypocritical. Are they contracted for their days for actual work or everyday of the week? That is how I read it above. They are contracted for one or the other. So which is it??

Notice I said..."and technically..any additional time required outside of those days to prepare for classes and grade"

And then you said... "know for a fact that they spend a good amount of their weekends ~ their free time ~ getting the next test ready or grading papers."

I am so glad that you know that for a fact--as do I...which is why I said...additional time outside of those days.

I have NO idea why you are picking on me specifically. I was always talking about pay--and then you flew off the handle to pick apart all of my posts.

While I didn't call you specifically a teacher--I do see in some of my posts did say "YOU", so I apologize for that.

But I really don't know why you think I am soooo stupid to not know what teachers do. Is as though if you aren't a teacher or aren't blood related to one, then you have no right to an opinion and you don't have a clue.

Well--I see you have misattributed and put words in my mouth about stuff I wasn't even saying.

I said I wasn't a Teacher hater--I get it...I really do. I just think some of you are sooo riled and ready to pick on anyone and b/c I happen to think the other poster was right on one point--you have attributed everything he was saying to me.

I am just amazed at how disrespectful you guys can be.

skbasnett said:
My mom and sister are over and showed them this thread. They would love to see some of you come up here and try to work with the supplies they do not have.

Since were dropping names here....

*My brother is a teacher
*My uncle is a teacher (and an author)--will always be a "pauper"--family curse. His joke is he'll get the Nobel prize and still not make squat.
*A cousin of my husband was a math teacher/department head (retired in the last year or two)--amazingly he had time and money to travel to Europe every other year for many years :confused3 . In the off years--he visits his time shares.
*A good friend was a math teacher, got his master's and is now an Assistant Prinipal
*Another good friend was a 5th grade teacher--due to health reasons and how tough 5th grade year is, I think she switched grades...but now I'm not so sure. Anywho--on leave right now as she just had a baby and was on bed rest for the latter part of her pregnancy.
*A former friend (she moved away) whom I did musicals with (where did she get the time :confused3 --oh yeah, we helped her grade papers between numbers) was a 4th grade teacher. She decided it just wasn't worth the stress that she left the field entirely. Man--did she have some stories!

They are all awesome people and wonderful teachers (well--the one was a wonderful one) :goodvibes. I know the first two--had always wanted to be teachers in the subject that they love.

WIcruizer said:
Since you mentioned prom, i would guess you're a HS teacher. That's a different situation. There is more work involved grading papers, and you certainly can't get it all done during the day. Then again, HS teachers are paid more than K-6.
Yes, I do teach high school, but all teachers in my state are on the same pay scale. We do not make more than the elementary teachers.

Our principals make more than the elementary teachers, which is fair because they have WAY more responsibilities. Principals and assistant principals have sports duties 2-3 times per week. It's insane the time they put in.

Lisa loves Pooh said:
I don't pretend to know anything about the teaching profession
Really?
Lisa loves Pooh said:
I don't have to be a teacher to know that. I am observe very well...went to school for 12 years...helped my teachers grade tests...helped do lots of things. So while I don't know specific nuances...I can be very familiar with what you do just as I now know what a firefighter does on a daily basis b/c I visited, asked questions, and observed
I believe you've just proved one of my points: People assume that they know what teachers do because, after all, they were students at one point! The most difficult things that teachers do aren't (and should not be) evident to students.

Obviously you were interested enough in the firefighter's job to ask questions. Yet you assume you know everything teachers do -- and you're getting a good bit of it wrong -- you're not asking questions. See a difference?

Lisa loves Pooh said:
The insults came from the teachers in slinging fashion! I said one insult--about reading comprehension--after one was thrown my way...and have been nothing but torn down for errors in my typing.
No, the reading comprehension thing wasn't your first insult. I'm not interested enough to read backwards, however, to discover what it actually was.

I brought up using the wrong word because it was so ironic given the content of your message.

Lisa loves Pooh said:
And since we are attributing more thoughts to me than I have posted on...around here...teachers get Christmas week, Easter week, and at least one month if not more for the summer (a friend vacations for a month in the summer--I forget what the surrounding days off are for that). I'm not in the "you have 3 months off club".
When I worked in human resources I worked a typical professional schedule: 50 weeks x 5 days - 10 holidays: 240 days. (I literally never brought work home, but that's not really the point here.) As a teacher I work 200 days per year (180 with students, 20 workdays/workshop days). Do I work less now? Yes, but 40 days is not the significant number assumed by many people. My salary, if you were to figure it per hour, is about the same.

Lisa loves Pooh said:
One need not be in the profession to have a good idea of what it entails. You teachers are reminding me of those who think SAHM's sit at home and eat bon bons.
But a person who's actually IN the profession knows much more than the person who's speculating about what it must entail.

I believe your bon-bon analogy goes both ways: lots of people think teachers just sail into the classroom sans preparation, zip out the door along with the students, and enjoy a 3-month vacation every summer.

MrsPete said:
Really?
I believe you've just proved one of my points: People assume that they know what teachers do because, after all, they were students at one point! The most difficult things that teachers do aren't (and should not be) evident to students.

Obviously you were interested enough in the firefighter's job to ask questions. Yet you assume you know everything teachers do -- and you're getting a good bit of it wrong -- you're not asking questions. See a difference?

see above posts...I know teachers--I speak with them---I talk to them--I hear from them.

Just b/c I don't ask you questions....I did ask someone what their contract says as the ONLY thing I was talking about was the salary. But was not given the courtesy of a response.

I'm not pretending to know anything. So unless my teacher friends/family are a bunch of liars....

MrsPete said:
No, the reading comprehension thing wasn't your first insult. I'm not interested enough to read backwards, however, to discover what it actually was.

I believe your bon-bon analogy goes both ways: lots of people think teachers just sail into the classroom sans preparation, zip out the door along with the students, and enjoy a 3-month vacation every summer.

I LOVE a challenge. I will personally eat crow where I deliberately insulted--not just shared an opinion (since having an opinion--though someone may not like it--is not in and of itself an insult.)

As far as the bon bon analagoy--nope--nice try....did not say one of those things. I think I am getting attributed with another posters comments b/c I happened to agree with one thing he said.

MrsPete said:

Love it! I totally agree.

Lisa loves Pooh said:
see above posts...I know teachers--I speak with them---I talk to them--I hear from them.

Just b/c I don't ask you questions....I did ask someone what their contract says as the ONLY thing I was talking about was the salary. But was not given the courtesy of a response.

I'm not pretending to know anything. So unless my teacher friends/family are a bunch of liars....
Well, I talk to my husband who's an engineer. I know in a general sense what he does at work; however, I probably couldn't give you a run-down of the steps he takes when he goes into his lab to complete a certain procedure. Likewise, it's easy to "know" what teachers do in the classroom, but there's more to it than is evident. My 14 years of experience in the classroom bears little resemblance to your posts; that's why I question them.

What's your question concerning contracts? I'll try to answer it.

Well, I talk to my husband who's an engineer. I know in a general sense what he does at work; however, I probably couldn't give you a run-down of the steps he takes when he goes into his lab to complete a certain procedure. Likewise, it's easy to "know" what teachers do in the classroom, but there's more to it than is evident. My 14 years of experience in the classroom bears little resemblance to your posts; that's why I question them.

What's your question concerning contracts? I'll try to answer it.

I don't remember--but you alluded to an earlier comment that I had made regarding
to contracts and what it explicitly states. I said it probably doesn't list testing--but you still give them. You said yes as a matter of fact it does.

And then it went on--and I forgot...maybe how your particular contract is worded in regards to workdays and you getting docked. I think that may have been it.

And here's what I was typing....before I saw your most recent post:

Post #304--
First post on this particular part of the argument....
This makes an incredible about of sense!

Many in the work force are salaried. Once salary--the duties can go beyond 40 hours per week without compensated over time. Whatever it takes to get the job done in other words!

Now the salary may not be that of a CEO--but it is still well above the poverty line and it is more than you'd make flipping burgers.

My husband is salaried if he chooses to read a book about new software or something...the company will buy the book, but they will not compensate him the time it takes to read that book. (A very loose example).

Teachers are all in different walks on how much out of classroom time they spend doing their job. I know some who spend a great deal of time--and some who spend very little.

I imagine it is easier to grade an algebra test than it is to grade a research paper. However--it doesn't mean the English teacher is worthy of more money just b/c it takes longer to grade the material.

(And before you bash me as a teacher hater--I don't hate teachers..could they earn more money--sure! But you aren't paid for clock hours. You are paid for the contracted days as someone put it--and technically..any additional time required outside of those days to prepare for classes and grade).

Before that--I just found it curious about teachers having vacation time during the year--even when and posted a poll on the CB b/c I had only known 2 teachers in my life who took a week or more off from work....was genuinely curious. This is somewhere in the 240s.

Promptly after post 304, I was told by another poster that I was making hypocritical statements re: contracts--well...I was just saying what was said earlier...and that I must think teachers only work at school during the school day and no more...when I clearly said they had additional duties beyond the standard workday. (last part of last sentence in the quote). So that was the first insult--to me.....

Post #325...

you said:
Every teacher on this thread is laughing right now! You can't get it done during the school day -- even if you stay late. Well, let me clarify that: you cannot do it well and get it done during the school day.

That would be the first actual INSULT! that I am being laughed at.

The reading comprehension comment was directed b/c I said come in early/leave late. Okay--so you have a team practicing something out your door. I later articulated more clearly--that one could come in early and such. I'm sorry you find that funny. I put in the time in my work building to get my work done--if I had to come in at 5am or stay until 8pm...or both...that is what I did. It was insulting for you to "Laugh" at me.

So I responded in kind with the reading comment...b/c I never said get it done in the school day between 8am and 3pm (or whatever the hours your school day happens to be).

So 2 personal insults--before I got to even 1.

You should go back and read all the posts....you had an ongoing arguent with WIcruizer for a few pages wayyy before I even hopped on the bandwagon. I stayed out of that...b/c I personally didn't agree with his tactic or really all that much what he was saying.

What we have here--is an educated teacher (You are the teacher right--don't want to get flamed for confusing you with the one who is not)---who has attributed the opinions of one person--and blanketed it to me...when I never said a word. Go and read the pages---start at page 21...go back a few more pages.

Please know who you are debating and whom you are not and what their position is.

I never said teaching was easy.
I never said it was limited "school hours".
I never said you got the whole summer off.
I never said that you don't work much.
I never said there was no planning involved...

and a whole host of anti-teacher comments that you keep thinking I have said.

And on this quote:
When I worked in human resources I worked a typical professional schedule: 50 weeks x 5 days - 10 holidays: 240 days. (I literally never brought work home, but that's not really the point here.) As a teacher I work 200 days per year (180 with students, 20 workdays/workshop days). Do I work less now? Yes, but 40 days is not the significant number assumed by many people. My salary, if you were to figure it per hour, is about the same.

I say "I know you don't get summers off--share what I know that our teachers here get"...and then you go and debate me b/c you think I am commenting that you work less?

I don't care. I don't have an argument on that position. And in my earlier calculations--I took the hours and spread them over 52 weeks in error...so you still made much more than I did--even when including the overtime that I got paid b/c I was hourly.

You are salaried. Salaried employees' work is not limited to the standard 8-hour workday. That's all--that's it. That's my position.

Everything else--you're right!!! you are absolutely right!!! I had no argument...wasn't arguing the fact at all...and it turned into the LLP bash-fest b/c I'm not a teacher..and if I think I know so much--let's show her by pointing out errors in her posts with snide remarks. And it all started b/c I agreed with one point that one poster said that everyone so vehemently was bothered by his earlier comments before this big ol' salary debate. I guess I won't make that mistake again.

It's rediculous--it's disrespectful. It just isn't right.

Lisa loves Pooh said:

Well you are in a way. You even stated something (and I will get it wrong) about knowing exactly what firefighters do. Well, everyone knows what they do in some aspect.

I will apologize about the whole thing with the wording. Maybe I went over the top, but I can't stand it when people start to claim things that they know nothing at all about. It gets to me!!

WIcruizer said:
dont- don't (twice)
alot- a lot
Minus 10 for poor syntax. That's a C+ grade from a non-teacher.

Funny since 100 - 10 = 90. That is an A-. Yeah for me!!! :cool1:

skbasnett said:
Well you are in a way. You even stated something (and I will get it wrong) about knowing exactly what firefighters do. Well, everyone knows what they do in some aspect.

I will apologize about the whole thing with the wording. Maybe I went over the top, but I can't stand it when people start to claim things that they know nothing at all about. It gets to me!!

Thanks for the apology.:goodvibes (edited as my smiley was in the wrong place)

I don't see how I am pretending to know anything. Just like you aren't a teacher--but know some...I could just as easily say that in away you are pretending b/c you don't have a personal life experience in a classroom.
(This is why I felt compelled to post who I know in teaching--I don't see how my statements/opinions are invalid b/c it isn't my chosen career).

Still trying to figure out where I was claiming the stereotypical thoughts of teachers. I searched and still can't find where I said anything that was incorrect. (And I am not being a smartie pants with that comment--when accused, I do reevaluate my posts as I am not one to lie, make stuff up, or state opinions that I cannot back up--which was actually something you told me...I couldn't back something up that I had said. A half-truth...you are right--I can't back up the statement..b/c I didn't make the statement. Reference post #304 and reread it. I didn't state--what you claim I stated:

Teachers are all in different walks on how much out of classroom time they spend doing their job. I know some who spend a great deal of time--and some who spend very little.
You are paid for the contracted days as someone put it--and technically..any additional time required outside of those days to prepare for classes and grade). ).

:teacher:

skbasnett said:
I dont think you can even compare the jobs listed above with teaching. Being a firefighter or a police officer is a much different type of job. But wait...dont firefighters work just 3 or 4 days a week? Teachers work 5. Again, not comparing because it is impossible to do. I am curious as to what you think the "excellent benefits" are? Besides having a month off for the summer...

I am a little behind, and this probably has been said. But, yes, we work 3 to 4 days a week...for 24 hours. That is 24-72 hours AWAY from our family. Away from standard sleep. Away from family dinner...away from a non-interupted dinner. We don't have Holidays....people have emergencies on Holidays. And no, unfortunately, we are not always considered "heroes". I know you didn't say that, but someone did and it rubbed me wrong. We don't ask for any title like that.

Lisa loves Pooh said:
We went on a field trip to the fire station with our homeschool group.

Very surprising how you demeaned their jobs just then b/c they "only" work 3 or 4 days a week and you work 5. In our county--the firefighter/paramedics/EMT's...work a 24 hour shift. They work 2 to 3 days a week..so a minimum of 48 hours. They have "down" time--but they a lot of work to do so that equipment and staff are available to save people when they are called. Their job description includes having to wear full gear and carry a human being out of danger. They have to keep in shape for an annual physical test (I forget what it is called). I am sure their gym time is neither compensated in pay nor in fees. But yet--if they don't pass muster...they lose their job. Just like if you don't manage your time in whatever way is necessary to plan your classes so that the kids can get educated and evaluated...I'm sure you wouldn't be keeping a job for too long either.

The fact that you have benefits--makes it excellent. You have access to retirement, health, dental, and life insurance I am sure. And according to a litlte poll--you do get paid sick leave and such (when some jobs--no work--no pay!). So relatively speaking..that is excellent to have those benefits--even if you may not think they are the greatest.
Thank you for recognizing the difference in working 3-4 days and 5.

Even though I truly feel this thread (way OT) should be closed, I feel compelled to post a few things.

As I write, there is a firetruck parked outside my house. Too bad my DS4 is at preschool, he'd love to get in it and play. No, I'm not handing over all my parenting duties or teaching duties to someone else. It is a social based preschool--he's learning to be with other kids, follow others rules, and seperate from Mom & Dad. I taught him his address, phone number, how to spell his name, etc. I do REALLY resent that comment/implication.

Anyhow, my next door neighbors work for the FD. They work 11 days a month, 24 hour shifts. This equates to normal 22 day work month--8 days off, same as having weekends off for a four week month. They get a little bonus with 5 week months and 31 day months (but Feb. is a 28 day month). However, during this time they are allowed to sleep; provided they have no calls you can subtract 8 hours from that 24 hour work day. They are also allowed to run personal errands on that time (why the firetruck is at their house right now, home to feed the dog). All their meals are provided for them free of cost. And, yes, they do get free gym memberships and discounts on rent if they don't own a house. They also get 2 weeks paid vacation and 5 sick days, paid. Their pay is actually paid hourly. They take overtime whenever they get it; They complain all the time about the little money. I just felt compelled to post what I know. They work hard and they deserve whatever they get, probably more. This is in no way stating any opinions on their job. Just clarifying some things unknown to some posters.

Also, as an ex-restruant manager and event planner I just feel another weird need to clarify. No, not everyone can wait tables. First, you have to have a good apperance. Bad teeth, sorry, no job. Next you have to have excellent communication skills. You must speak properly. No "ain't"s, "gots", etc. You have to pass a timed math test. It includes addition, subtraction, multiplication, division as well as percentages and fractions. We lost 50% of our applicants here. Then you must go through training--learning everything about every dish minus the actual recipe. You must have a good memory. Then you have to learn to keep track of everything--orders, conversations, sidework duties, etc. Not for the ADD. Then you work on a 3 month probation period. Of every 100 that were interviewed, 2 make it onto the floor. NOT a job anyone can do. And it is listed as one of the top 5 most stressful jobs, just under CEO.

rt2dz said:
Even though I truly feel this thread (way OT) should be closed, I feel compelled to post a few things.

As I write, there is a firetruck parked outside my house. Too bad my DS4 is at preschool, he'd love to get in it and play. No, I'm not handing over all my parenting duties or teaching duties to someone else. It is a social based preschool--he's learning to be with other kids, follow others rules, and seperate from Mom & Dad. I taught him his address, phone number, how to spell his name, etc. I do REALLY resent that comment/implication.

Anyhow, my next door neighbors work for the FD. They work 11 days a month, 24 hour shifts. This equates to normal 22 day work month--8 days off, same as having weekends off for a four week month. They get a little bonus with 5 week months and 31 day months (but Feb. is a 28 day month). However, during this time they are allowed to sleep; provided they have no calls you can subtract 8 hours from that 24 hour work day. They are also allowed to run personal errands on that time (why the firetruck is at their house right now, home to feed the dog). All their meals are provided for them free of cost. And, yes, they do get free gym memberships and discounts on rent if they don't own a house. They also get 2 weeks paid vacation and 5 sick days, paid. Their pay is actually paid hourly. They take overtime whenever they get it; They complain all the time about the little money. I just felt compelled to post what I know. They work hard and they deserve whatever they get, probably more. This is in no way stating any opinions on their job. Just clarifying some things unknown to some posters.

Also, as an ex-restruant manager and event planner I just feel another weird need to clarify. No, not everyone can wait tables. First, you have to have a good apperance. Bad teeth, sorry, no job. Next you have to have excellent communication skills. You must speak properly. No "ain't"s, "gots", etc. You have to pass a timed math test. It includes addition, subtraction, multiplication, division as well as percentages and fractions. We lost 50% of our applicants here. Then you must go through training--learning everything about every dish minus the actual recipe. You must have a good memory. Then you have to learn to keep track of everything--orders, conversations, sidework duties, etc. Not for the ADD. Then you work on a 3 month probation period. Of every 100 that were interviewed, 2 make it onto the floor. NOT a job anyone can do. And it is listed as one of the top 5 most stressful jobs, just under CEO.

I wish I worked for their district. ; ) Yes, we do sleep, but rarely is it uninterrupted. Generally we get to bed at about 10ish...are up by midnight, and usually again at least one more time before dawn. Unfortunately for us, food is not "free of charge". We get a stipend for food of $2 if you are on volunteer status that day and not paid. ; ) Most of us just cook in house and bring stuff from home. Eat out usually once a shift. Holidays...don't let me even get into the heartbreak for my kids sometimes when Mommy just can't be there to attend Christmas Eve service with you and wait for Santa.... No discounts for gyms or rent either. I guess it all goes by your district... I need to move! haha :rotfl:

We have taken our kids out of school for the past three years. At first I was hesitant to do so but I wasn't about to spend all of that money on a Disney trip and then spend half of our time standing in line and fighting the FL heat. My husband works on oil rigs and we have to work around his schedule and that does not always go hand in hand with the kids being on vacation. My kids are now 13 (7th grade) and 9 (4th grade). We plan to take them out for a week in February for our next Disney trip. I also have to say that my kids don't miss any other days during the year. They are hardly ever sick!! Knock on wood! I think it depends on the family and what kind of students the children are.

WIcruizer said:
I would use the word "common" to describe how many teachers get 3 months off. That's not just summer, it includes Christmas Break, Spring Break, various teachers conferences, etc. .

I taught high school in Massachusetts for several years and I can't believe you think teachers conferences are time off....unbelievable...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter