"I don't remember taking this picture!"

Princess Sleepy

DIS Veteran
Hi Everyone! I am only ten days away from my January trip. I have planned things to death and my traveling companions are about ready to strangle me if I call them with one more itinerary tweak. Therefore, I guess I will vent my excitement by writing a pre-trip report.

My ticker calls this a bonus trip and that is really what it is. I was at WDW last January with my DH, and 2 DDs. It was first trip for the three of them and my first trip in over 15 years. We were there during the record low temperatures that they experienced. The positive side of that was the short, nearly non-existent lines. The down-side was not being able to use the pool, the water rides, or the short sleeves we had brought. We decided before we even got on the plane to go home that we were going in the summer for our next trip and planned a birthday trip for this summer when my younger DD turns 4.

OK, you're thinking, then why in the world are you going in January again?
It started last August when my younger cousin (DC26) arrived home from her very first trip to WDW. Her boyfriend took her for a long weekend and they had a blast. We went out so she could show me her pictures and tell me all about it so I could live vicariously through her. Her older sister was with us, but she was very quiet. We have all been Disney fanatics forever, and after my older cousin (DC30) left, I commented that it was too bad she had never been, when DC26, DSis, and I had all been. I remembered that DC30 was turning 30 in September and came up with the idea that if we pooled our resources and asked other family members to contribute, we could give her a trip to Disney for her birthday.

We spent several weeks looking at all the options, Disneyland vs. WDW, which weekend, how to to the big reveal to her...We finally convinced my sister to go along with the plan and took some pictures of the four of us at a family wedding in early September. Then with the help of Photoshop, we transplanted us from their mom's backyard to Main Street in front of the castle. We framed the photo and made a little travel itinerary with travel dates and Disney information all over it. Finally her birthday came. She unwrapped the gift and looked at the photo. In all seriousness she said to us, "I don't remember taking this picture." We laughed and she looked confused as she looked through the scrapbook. I finally couldn't stand it any more. "We're taking you to Disney World!" She looked stunned, then started to cry. We gave her a big group hug and started telling her all about it.

Later we asked her, "What did you think the present was?" She told us the thought had crossed her mind that it was a trip, but that it seemed too big to hope for. We have had such a fun three months planning. So here are the players: I am the obsessive planner, DC26 is my co-conspirator, DS just barely tolerates the non-stop planning, but will go along with whatever we say, DC30 is interested but clueless. She has conceded that we are the experts and will let us pursue her best interests.

The plan is a good one, a long as the airlines and weather do not get in our way.

We are leaving on Friday January 15th at 7:15 am. The two DCs will spend the night at one apartment. DS, not a morning person, has decided to sleep at our parents in order to sleep an extra 15 minutes in the morning. I am the chauffeur who will pick everyone up at 5:00 am. I can barely sleep ten days out, I'm sure I will be up all night anyway. After we get through security, one of the best bakeries in town is on the way to the gate. A nap on the plane and we will be set when we get to Orlando.

Day one, the afternoon of the 15th, will involve taking ME to Pop, checking in (or at least checking bags), then heading right over to Epcot. We want to hit a few FW attractions (like Nemo and Living with the Land) and try to snag a FP for Soarin' later. I missed UoE last time because it was being refurbed. Is it worth it? We have early ADRs for Akershus so we can have our pictures taken with the princesses. Also, DC26 did a semester abroad in Norway, so it brings back fond memories. Epcot has EMHs on Friday, so we will see Illuminations and wander the pavilions before heading back to FW for Soarin' and Spaceship Earth. Figment and Honey, I Shrunk the Audience are also on our radar if time permits.

We will crash at Pop that night. I hear it will be cozy to have 4 adults in one room, but we're related so it's okay.

Day 2 will be at MK. I am determined to be there at rope drop and have pleaded with my DS to cooperate. She says she will be there if I don't mind waking her up multiple times. I agreed, provided she promises not to hit me! She promised, but added that she will not wear mouse ears and does not want to be bullied into doing it. We reluctantly gave in on that one. (The rest of us will be sporting mouse ears for sure!)

We are going to hit all the high points of MK, not including Splash Mountain which will be closed. I can't wait to ride the new and improved Space Mountain. We even hope to fit in some of the minor attractions like the Tiki Room and the Hall of Presidents. We have a lunch scheduled at the Plaza Cafe and want to do dinner at Cosmic Ray's. Wishes and Spectromagic are also on the agenda.

Sunday will be another rope drop morning, this time at DHS. None of my traveling companions has ridden TSM yet, so that is our first stop. ToT is high on the list of priorities too. We get to have a late lunch/early dinner at Prime Time Cafe. I am keeping my fingers crossed for a good server. Fantasmic is the most important part of the whole day, so I hope the weather cooperates. I am the only one who has seen it and I can't wait to share the experience.

After the 8:00 show we are torn about what to do next. We could go shopping in DTD. We might try to play a round of golf at Fantasia Gardens. Or, we might hit Jellyrolls. Of course, we might be so exhausted that we go back to Pop and go to bed.

Monday is our last day and we have to be back on the ME by 3:00. We will dine with Donald at TH at AK, then be the first in line at EE. If it's warm enough I want to try the Kali River Rapids and I desperately want to see Festival of the Lion King. I missed that one last time. We also will not miss KS and want to see ITTBAB.

Our Monday evening flight will send us home to the frozen north. But for now the anticipation continues. I just spent the last few hours talking with DC26 and we keep pinching ourselves to see if it's real. Packing commences in 9 days. Yay!:cool1:

My wife and I are from Minnesota, too, and going down the same day, but on an evening flight, and staying the whole week. (Can't wait!) I assume you must mean French Meadow Bakery in the airport, right? Great place.

Sounds like a good plan. We did something similar on our last trip, although we had a couple extra nights, so we had a full day for each park. Boy was that exhausting!

We thought Universe of Energy was pretty fun. Ellen is a hoot.

Animal Kingdom is a good park for your last day. We did AK on our Monday departure, and it worked well. The tricky part is getting the timing right to see the shows.

I can't stress enough the importance of going straight to TSMM immediately as the park opens. Have one person grab fastpasses, while the others grab a spot in line. There is usually a line at the fastpass machines: you have to hope the timing works out so that the person holding the spot in line doesn't go inside prior to the fastpass person getting back. I barely made it when we did that. This will get you two rides on TSMM right away in the morning. It's a great ride, and well worth it.

Have a great time down there!

I do mean French Meadow Bakery. It's a great way to start a trip. We may even get sandwiches there to eat later so we don't have to stop forlunch on our way to the park.

I hope you have a great trip too. Let's keep our fingers crossed for nice weather. (Of course, it's almost certain to be warmer than here, right?)

It's showing low to mid 60s for that weekend on Accuweather. I'll take it! If it hits 70, life will be golden!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter