I am a POLY NEWBIE & could use some help?

skipwick1

Earning My Ears
My wife and I will be staying GV at the Poly for the first time. We arrive on 5/12 & I have a couple of questions.

First about Captain Cooks. Do they have toasters, microwaves, etc?

Next about the construction. Are there any buildings/room locations that should be avoided because of constuction?

My wife is disabled and one of the things we most enjoy will be sitting out on our patio. We want to avoid looking at construction in progress. We also prefer a quiet section.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.:bounce: :Pinkbounc

Have you requested an accessible room? If so you will almost for sure be in Rapa Nui. It has many accessible rooms, close access to a parking lot and incredibly beautiful landscaping. It is also in a quiet part of the resort. Our DD has CP and ever since she was old enough to want to manage baths etc. on her own we have stayed there on our longer trips if she is with us. The rooms are very large and we love sitting on the lanai and reading. Be sure to take the path to the TTC to go to Epcot. Although we usually take the monorail from the Great Ceremonial House to MK we often take the ferry back. It is VERY close to Rapa Nui. If you do take the monorail back from MK you can get off at the TTC if you don't need to do anything at the GCH.

Coming back from AK or MGM you can take whichever bus comes first...TTC or Poly. The walk will be about the same.

Enjoy the Polynesian. It is very special!

Thanks BCV23 for the info. No, we didn't request an accessible room as we really don't need a roll in shower and hate to reserve a room that someone else might need, although we do use a wheelchair

I've heard that there is construction over by Rapa Nui, and that the parking lot there is closed.

Does anyone have any info on this? Thanks.

Yes the construction for the new bus stop is over near Rapa Nui. I would suggest Tokelau or even Fiji. Tokelau does have some accessible rooms like Rapa Niu and even if there is no need for it there are still great rooms in Tokelau. Fiji may give you more to look at from your balcony or patio but the second floor does not have a balcony so request a 3rd floor or ground level. The rooms facing the marina in Fiji are X311-X322 (put the floor number where the "X" is)

Aloha

Steve

Oops forgot...yes there is a toaster. I've never noticed whether CCs has a microwave?

We were there a month ago and there was no construction near Rapa Nui. They are apparently building a bus shelter but I think it is closer to the GCH and probably affects part of the main parking lot. Perhaps someone else can help you there. Since you don't need an accessible room Tahiti is a quiet building that shares the same gardens as Rapa Nui. The East viewing rooms of Tokelau would be quiet, too.If you are using a manual wheelchair I would ask to be on that end of the property because you will have to deal with only one ramp if you're going to Epcot if you walk to the TTC. As I mentionned before the ferry is an easy way to get to & from MK without dealing with long ramps which can be as hard to go down as up.

Yes, there is a microwave in Captain Cook's, and they sell microwave popcorn, too. The construction I saw a couple of days ago is near the Neverland Club/laundry building - kind of between that building and the GHC and the drive-thru area where you check in.

I don't believe the construction fence extends all the way past Raratonga to Rapa Nui (Tiki, please correct me if I am wrong). I am pretty sure the drive up entrance on the parking lot side to Rapa Nui was accessible as of 3 weeks ago. The north side of Rapa Nui would not face the construction and would be a good choice if you need an accessible room. I think the marina side of Fiji might be louder than most.

Yup, Captain Cook's has a toaster and microwave. I made oatmeal in the microwave a couple of mornings.

Have a great trip Skipwick1!

Hey Polypal,

Someone who was there a week or so ago reported that the construction was down toward the Neverland club and Rapa Nui and that the parking lot next to Rapa Nui was fenced off. That was the last thing I heard.

Aloha

Steve

Hi Steve

If you're referring to Erika's posts I think as her visit went on she realized the constuction was by Raratonga not Rapa Nui. It truly would make no sense to have the bus stop down by Rapa Nui. The Neverland Club and the laundry are on the far West side of the building which includes delivery areas on the East side near the guardbooth. It is a deceptively large building.

Thanks everyone for your info and advice. This trip will be special as I am celebrating my 50th birthday.:jester:

I guess that means when I get back home I will be a senior citizen, at least in the eyes of AARP. NOT!!!

I just know that we will have a great time.:bounce: :Pinkbounc :wave:

I am not saying it is right next to Rapa Nui I was just told it was toward the side of Rapa Nui near the Neverland Club. I am just reporting what I am told by a few people who just returned. I do know the Rapa Nui parking lot was closed .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter