I’ve changed my mind on DVC (for awhile)

Moonlight Magic is way better, IMO. I don’t understand why they can’t do both though.

They also used to have "Welcome Home Wednesdays" at the Boardwalk. Don't recall when they stopped doing them but they usually did not do them in December because of the MMM.

In the late 90's, they would have a member meeting every week at both OKW and BWV. With doughnuts, coffee and juice.

As @KAT4DISNEY said it's nice to know before you step in what is acceptable to you.

I don't feel like a 2nd class citizen or as I've been treated that way. I purchased in 2000 and I get my value every year from DVC, even this year.

Unlike you and @KAT4DISNEY I have no idea what I stepped into, I crunched numbers but didn't otherwise do a whole lot of other research before buying. Sure I’ve rented, but I’m only a recent owner. So what I know is only from experience.

For me, I know my welcome home trip got cancelled.

I know I rented out a reservation, and I now know that was that a mistake.

I know I was able to call MS at least once a week since March to modify my reservation to a new resort or move to a new date due to the uncertainty.

I know I never waited for 10 minutes to chat or talk to someone while many others have.

I know they were always friendly, honest, and direct - if they had the answers.

I know I won’t ever rent my points again.

I know I was angry when my FP that I woke up early and snagged was cancelled.

I know I was even more furious when more than 10 dining reservations of mine were cancelled. The hours I spent stalking, rebooking reservations until I got my ideal time slot.

I know I bought set date tickets for my trip and they were extended free of charge into flexible tickets for a year and a half.

I know I got the points borrowed placed back, and expired points extended.

What I don't know is where I've been wronged. I don't know what I'm owed. I don't know how any of that is different from a cash package reservation. Most importantly, I don't know what I'm missing from 10 or 20 years ago. But I do know one more thing..

You guys are being treated like second class citizens.

I know that this is a bit insensitive right now. While I believe it as unintentional in the phrasing and a manner of speaking; perhaps now is not the time to compare a luxury/leisure purchase in which the corporation is actively trying to make things right for all members to discrimination and social injustice.

I actually think they've handled it ok - but it is definitely not the same as having a cash reservation from Disney. You own it, so there's risk there.

Partly why I have not bought in yet is because I feel the product is way overpriced currently for what you truly get.

Besides my DVC contracts, I also own a Wyndham timeshare. If you want to deal with a company that puts its customers last, try Wyndham. Wyndham charges you a "transaction fee" for making or modifying a reservation. They charge you "housekeeping points" when you stay at a resort. They charge you for a week of "housekeeping points" even if you stay for 1 night. If you want to bank your points ($30 on line, $50 by phone), you have to have enough "housekeeping points," or buy more from Wyndham. You can't transfer your points to another member. Have a guest staying? They charge for that. Your banked points last for 2 years--but you have to tell them which year you'll use them when you bank them (i.e., if you banked points this year, you have to state a use year of either 2021 or 2022).

Since I’ve been non DVC...

- Better rooms
- Better housekeeping
- Better cancellation policies
- More money

And, since I've been DVC....

-Better rooms - I enjoy having a villa with a kitchen
-Housekeeping available on demand
-Reasonable cancellation policies
-A LOT more money

DVC has worked for me. It doesn't work for everybody.

-A LOT more money

I know these days it isn't unusual to have a fridge in a room, but when my kids were small it was. I put in a lot of time finding that room so we could at least have breakfast in the room. I also could never pay the cash prices of the Boardwalk and Beach Club rooms I stay in. It works for me, it has ever since I bought. I haven't liked everything they've done, but I love my home resorts.

I know these days it isn't unusual to have a fridge in a room, but when my kids were small it was. I put in a lot of time finding that room so we could at least have breakfast in the room. I also could never pay the cash prices of the Boardwalk and Beach Club rooms I stay in. It works for me, it has ever since I bought. I haven't liked everything they've done, but I love my home resorts.

We love our home resorts as well, but the cash prices are crazy! BCV and VGC work amazingly well for us as being able to easily walk to our favorite parks is a huge priority. We never would have paid cash prices at Aulani (not a home resort), but DVC allows us to have a fantastic, relaxing vacation on an island we normally wouldn’t visit. There’s also something so satisfying about not paying taxes and parking upon checkout. And my Disney gift card stockpiling throughout the year makes paying dues less painful. I’m looking to add one more home resort and an add on to our BCV contract. Definitely works for us as well!

-A LOT more money

The DVC rooms are built cheaper, and they are often very worn & tired as compared to the regular deluxe rooms.
Other than that, I don’t see where there is a disagreement. Yes, housekeeping is available.... for a price which eats into my last point.
You need to look no further than the closing fiasco to prove my third point.

When I was sent the "Dream" book about DVC, I was gob smacked by a picture of a woman sitting on a balcony reading while giraffes walked by. I thought that was fantastic, and I have to stay there.
I looked up what it cost to stay there. When I saw about $450 a night, I thought no way I'd pay that much: over $2000 for a five night stay, no way!
So instead I bought a timeshare for $14,000 in 2009. Made more sense LOL. And I've never regretted it.

The DVC rooms are built cheaper, and they are often very worn & tired as compared to the regular deluxe rooms.
Other than that, I don’t see where there is a disagreement. Yes, housekeeping is available.... for a price which eats into my last point.
You need to look no further than the closing fiasco to prove my third point.

@Maistre Gracey - I remember back when you were a DVC member. And then you weren't. Loads of people have followed in your footsteps - happily.

I'm not one of them. I'm still getting what I paid for and expect. From time to time there is a glitch as with any relationship. And then from time to time, there is still enough magic to keep me coming back.

It's nice that you still feel drawn to the DVC boards as a former owner. Perhaps your words will inspire someone like you who shouldn't become a DVC member to think twice before joining.

Hopefully you won't throw cold water on the plans of someone who would benefit from DVC.

If you want to tell me why you gave it up, that's fine. But each time you tell me how much better your new rooms are, it sounds like bragging and an attempt to diminish my experience.

I would like to think that is not your intention.

We have been renting points for the past 15 years. From either this website, or my brother. This was the year my wife and I where going to pull the trigger and buy. However, after seeing how Disney has treated their DVC members, we have changed our minds. You guys are being treated like second class citizens. It’s like they know they have you, so now they can do what they want. We had a May trip booked, moved it to July, and now we are just going to wait until next year. But I no longer am Interested in buying into a “club” we’re members are treated worse then non-members.

I don't believe DVC has treated me "like second class citizens". Actually, I think they made me "whole" by banking my points. August UY. I also rented many times before purchasing DVC. My only regret is not buying sooner. I am disappointed that I could not go in May, but that was no fault of DVC. I do not know many people personally who own DVC but those I do know have not been "treated worse then (than) non-members".

But, you have to make your decisions. I just don't agree with your opinion of DVC.

@Maistre Gracey - I remember back when you were a DVC member. And then you weren't. Loads of people have followed in your footsteps - happily.

I'm not one of them. I'm still getting what I paid for and expect. From time to time there is a glitch as with any relationship. And then from time to time, there is still enough magic to keep me coming back.

It's nice that you still feel drawn to the DVC boards as a former owner. Perhaps your words will inspire someone like you who shouldn't become a DVC member to think twice before joining.

Hopefully you won't throw cold water on the plans of someone who would benefit from DVC.

If you want to tell me why you gave it up, that's fine. But each time you tell me how much better your new rooms are, it sounds like bragging and an attempt to diminish my experience.

I would like to think that is not your intention.
I certainly don’t mean to throw cold water. I truly enjoyed my time as a Member, even with the shortcomings we learned along the way. That said, I will try to be more mindful of my wording going forward.

We rarely stay regular resort rooms at WDW, as we are now local. So, no bragging there. Just pointing out how DVC can improve.

Yes, we still enjoy much of Disney. The DVC boards is what I started with on the DIS, so I guess that’s why I hang here. Also there is a good variety of topics here, including restaurant options, ticket options, etc.

What instigated our sale of membership was a job loss. That said, I’m sure we could have found a way to hang onto some of our points if we did not become a bit disenchanted with Disney. Don’t get me wrong, we still enjoy it, but it’s not what it once was. Things like the closing of Pleasure Island is one example, but many other cutbacks factored in.
I never minded paying the big money for the unparalleled experience, but I refuse to pay the big money for mediocrity.
WDW used to raise the bar and watch other parks try to catch up. Now, the other parks push the bar up and Disney struggles to stay above it.

I hope I did not go too far off topic.

Are other resorts nicer than DVC, sure, some by a lot. The main thing that DVC has going for it is location. If you want to walk into MK or EPCOT or HS, then you need to stay a a WDW resort. And staying at a DVC is the cheapest way to do that.

Without a doubt offsite resorts can be way nicer and way cheaper, but for me location is more important.

I certainly don’t mean to throw cold water. I truly enjoyed my time as a Member, even with the shortcomings we learned along the way. That said, I will try to be more mindful of my wording going forward.

We rarely stay regular resort rooms at WDW, as we are now local. So, no bragging there. Just pointing out how DVC can improve.

Yes, we still enjoy much of Disney. The DVC boards is what I started with on the DIS, so I guess that’s why I hang here. Also there is a good variety of topics here, including restaurant options, ticket options, etc.

What instigated our sale of membership was a job loss. That said, I’m sure we could have found a way to hang onto some of our points if we did not become a bit disenchanted with Disney. Don’t get me wrong, we still enjoy it, but it’s not what it once was. Things like the closing of Pleasure Island is one example, but many other cutbacks factored in.
I never minded paying the big money for the unparalleled experience, but I refuse to pay the big money for mediocrity.
WDW used to raise the bar and watch other parks try to catch up. Now, the other parks push the bar up and Disney struggles to stay above it.

I hope I did not go too far off topic.
Florida Resident tickets work good for us, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter