Hypothetical--Receiving a windfall

Definitely a new car. I've also got my eye on a Purple mattress - one of those will set you back 12 Benjamins. I also need new furniture.

Other than that, no major lifestyle changes for this guy, beyond traveling more (including the not-infrequent trip to Denver for "souvenirs").

I doubt I'd change my habits much for only 2 million dollars. I'd put it away, invest a good part of it, and live as normally. I'd probably put a bit of money into the house and car, and yeah, maybe I'm staying deluxe at WDW on my next trip, but that's about it.

Like most others, pay off loans, put a chunk in for retirement, pay for college & weddings for two daughters. DH would want a big shop for his semi and his tractors. Our house isn't fancy but I'm not sure I would replace it. I'm kind of partial to it. Certainly would get some work finished up on it though.

Just the other day DH said he'd love to buy each niece and nephew a car if he could. Then he said, well the ones that respond to me. (A niece hasn't responded to a text or two of his. She works multiple jobs and just graduated from OT grad school. She's friendly at Christmas so I would have to tell him it's all of them or none of them!) So if we got the $2 million we might consider that. But I just don't think that situation will ever come to pass so I guess I won't worry!

I'm in a pretty good place and have no debt other than a small mortgage which I got at a preferred family rate. My folks are well situated although I might do some things for their farm they won't pay for, but it'd make life easier for them. I wouldn't have to go back to work unless I wanted to. I would take some friends and family on a trip. I would buy my brother's family a nice, but slightly used minivan. I'd probably trade for a convertible BMW, but while my Jeep is a pretty basic model, it's all I need and is just 2 years old. I hate driving anyway.

I did receive a windfall of about that size (my mum died before my grandmother, so my brother and I split her share of my grandparents' estate). It is all invested - I hope to be able to pass a significant portion onto my nieces and nephews. It did allow me to make some risky career choices (ones that put me into the position of of great future benefits, but involved considerable short-term risk) and gives me "screw you" money (so I don't have to take/keep a job that I don't want). It also gives me the feeling of having insurance in case anyone in the family needs medical care that isn't otherwise covered (my mum needed a lot of expensive medical care - luckily it was covered between provincial health care/private insurance, but it definitely taints my thoughts).

Honestly, I'm probably one of the few people whose father's tell them to spend more money (when I was worried about taking the career risk, for example, my father pointed out that I was worrying unreasonably). I'm not a miser (I swear), but I do probably err on the side of worrying to much about having plenty of money for the future (and leaving money for the next generation).

First this:
I'd change my phone number, e-mail, and other social media accounts so friends, co-workers, and relatives wouldn't be able to contact me seeking a handout.
'
Pay off my mortgage. Reno the master bed/bath and add a balcony that would double as a porch overhang. Have the back yard professionally landscaped complete with mature trees. While we're at it since I don't have a mortgage anymore we'll add a maid and landscaper.

Make sure my kids are taken care of.

Hire someone full time to help my stepmom take care of my dad.

Go to Hawaii. Since I have 2 mil I'll even wear my jewelry. ;)

Put it all in pillow cases and fake my own death (thereby avoiding taxes.)

We are already debt free and only have two semesters left to pay for the last child's college so I would use about $500,000 to build my dream house.

I would probably use the rest to beef up retirement savings to a level that would allow us to truly spend our retirement years however we wanted. DH would likely consider retiring sooner than he currently plans. I like my job and have lots of time off for travel so I don't think I would change my retirement timeline.

Set aside some for the kids' college expenses.

Pay off our current house & sale it.

Build our dream house.

And, then, if there was enough left over - Buy a beach condo.

I'd set aside 250K for each of my kids to use toward the purchase of their homes.
I'd pay off ours and do some small upgrades to the house and outdoor space so when we sell it we won't have too.
I'd build a small cabin to replace our camper on our land.
I'd love to buy my dad a home in Florida since he is planning on doing that himself.
The rest would go into the retirement fund.

I would leave my current career and move with my boyfriend into a bigger apartment. I'd invest the rest for lavish vacations and retirement fun. I'd definitely plan a great vacation to CA to show my boyfriend Disneyland. We would eventually (when he retires with his state pension) leave the Northeast for a southern state.

Pay off debt, upgrade house, beef up retirement accounts, set aside money for kids, and take a less stressful job closer to home that still had medical benefits.

Pay off the house, and set enough aside for our son to finish school.

Save most of the rest.

Honestly, I don't know that 2 million would be enough to retire. Even after taxes. Not if we wanted to be able to vacation frequently at Disney.

Fund retirment, finish funding college for dd and probably pay for my nephew's undergrad degree anyway. Then build a nice house on some land in the country. Any left after that would go to travel and savings. More than a couple million? I'd put as much as I could into some sort of fund for dd's future if she's not able to get health insrance at some point (she has JRA, type 1 diabetes, anxiety and a few other health/mild learning issues).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter