Hurricane Irma?

Saw some reports of flight cancellations for Tuesday already. My stomach dropped. We are scheduled to leave Tuesday morning at 7:30am (rescheduled from 5:20pm Saturday). Can anyone share more information or specifics? Disney has been great, but I really want to get home!

My Jet Blue flight from Buffalo to MCO for Tuesday morning (7:49am-10:30am arrival in MCO) got cancelled, and rescheduled to Friday though Disney Reservations is closed so I am not sure I will have anywhere to sleep, lol.

That makes sense about the sheltering.

But I've never heard of an animal controlling their excretions in a home (or a hotel!) because their owners can't take them out. Very interesting.
It's more complex than that. They don't control it because their owners can't take them out.
But say they are in nature and living in a cave. They won't venture out of their cave to go out on their own either, they sense the changes coming so they start in advance to prepare by adjusting so they don't have to go out as often. And no, every animal will not do this but many will. So if your animal is not eating or drinking as much and you are in the areas related to Irma's path this could be why

Animals are more sensitive to the barometric pressure changes than we are.
Also how some of the large animals in the zoos and such know when to find and seek shelter. Not just in a hurricane but in just general thunder storms

That makes sense about the sheltering.

But I've never heard of an animal controlling their excretions in a home (or a hotel!) because their owners can't take them out. Very interesting.

This is very interesting. I'd never heard this before. Who knew? It's incredible what you learn on the DIS.

Here I pictured all these hotels and shelters smelling like zoos by Tuesday.

Just wondering if this would apply to people flying in the week AFTER Irma . . . should we avoid using the Disney luggage tags, and just haul our bags to the Express Bus. (Will the 3rd party group which transports bags magically to hotel rooms be unavailable? I don't mind picking up my own bags if that means we have them in less time and less confusion).

*Still hoping on everything going smoothly, and being able to come to MCO/Disney on Sunday 17th.
I would expect they'll be operating as normal. If they aren't, ME staff will be in touch with you, either by email or phone to give you instructions on what to do.

Nothing happening in Orlando. Had heavy rain a couple hours back.
My wife's weather app is showing the strongest wind to happen at midnight, and a whopping 58 mph. :rolleyes2
So, if that's remotely accurate the Orlando / WDW area will not see hurricane force winds.

Of course, next year everyone will say the largest hurricane ever hit WDW.

Saw some reports of flight cancellations for Tuesday already. My stomach dropped. We are scheduled to leave Tuesday morning at 7:30am (rescheduled from 5:20pm Saturday). Can anyone share more information or specifics? Disney has been great, but I really want to get home!

If you go back over the past 10 pages or so, there have been a lot of reports. Sorry, I was going to be more helpful having quoted some of the posts, but the dang post got messed up and I lost all of my quotes >:(

I've been watching since I rescheduled my trip this weekend to next. Most of the reports are incoming flights.

Have you looked at the status of your flight online? Or called the airline (though I really wouldn't get on the phone right now unless I had to, try online for now) I'm hoping you can make it home

I feel for your situation, but, this was not a surprise storm. I don't understand this at all.

Maybe some of your fellow hotel mates who took more personal responsibility will share their provisions with you. Worse comes to worse, you can drink tap water to stay hydrated and you likely will be ok without food for a day or two.

See, this type of comment isn't necessary. The OP lives abroad and is on vacation, so there's a good chance s/he wasn't as up to date on Irma as locals and those living in the USA. I know that I, personally, don't watch the news when I'm on vacation. The poster also mentioned that those they had asked about the hurricane were downplaying it. It's easy to miss the severity if it's a weather occurrence you're not used to. The OP also mentioned that they had gone out and purchased provisions, so there's no need for those with "personal responsibility" to share.

Our SW flight into MCO on Tues was canceled. (traveling from DC). Considered changing my flight into ATL on Tue and renting a car and driving the 6 hours, but I'm concerned that flight will be canceled as well. I could get a flight on Frontier for Thur but that will cut our trip by 2 days unless DVC has available rooms to extend or stay which is going to be very doubtful. Not to mention our annual passes run out on the 19th. :/ Southwest is telling me they *may reinstate the Tuesday flights so it's best to not cancel my flight yet. I can't seem to get a clear idea and how badly Atlanta is getting hit.... anyone know? Also.. how bad is it driving through a tropical storm? LOL! TIA! April

I love outside Atlanta and schools have been cancelled on Mon and Tues for most of the state, so we are expecting last i heard up to 7 inches of rain, and extreme winds and of course tornados. We had reservations for this thursday the 14 and I was able to move then to next week. Traffic has been s nightmare for a week. Everyone from Florida is here and its taking 17 hrs to go from orlando to here. I would NOT recommend flying into Atlanta, I wouid go to Alabama and drive, 75 S will be a parking lot Wed thru the weekend when the Florida folks go home and worse if we Ga folks have a lot of damage. Thats why I changed our reservations the HWY was crazy.

Yeah, speaking as someone who works in the animal health field, there is absolutely no evidence this occurs.

I am NOT a biology major, or a doctor and anything of the sort. However I have worked with families and children in crisis and major stress can have an effect on the digestives tracts of people. Its part of the "fight or flight" response. Motility in the colon is limited becuase many functions of digestion stop and energy is instead routed to the limbs. So you dont have to go right in the moment-you body is readying you to flee or fight. However after the immediate danger is over the body should trigger the "rest and digest" parasympathetic nervous system. Here is where a lot of people-and possibly pets get...shall we call it rapid waste issues. Lets complicate this with the third option we have under major stress-it's actually "fight, flight or freeze". If your a freeze person you are actually capable of losing control of your functions in that moment. Kids and families in crisis riding the wave of "fight or fligh tor freeze" to "rest and digest" over and over for days, or weeks can develop a lot of digestive symptoms that can then increase stress and can keep fueling the cycle. If animals have similar biological response to stress this may be true for them too-which I dont know because I know virtually nothing about pets. :confused3

Back to the hurricane and furry friends. They may hold it while they curl up and hide but once the immediate danger has passed they may have accidents. Or they may pee when they have an extreme fear response. hopefully those with pets in the resorts have at least some newspaper handy :oops::cat::dog::oops:.

It does strike me to wonder, why is it so far, only Southwest that's cancelling flights? Or does it just happen to be Southwest is the only airlines that folks here are flying and the others have cancelled and we just don't have anyone flying so no one has posted?
They are getting crowded out by the legacy airlines. SW isn't first priority so AA,Delta,United etc will be first then JetBlue and SW.

We've always trained our dogs to 'go' on command. Mostly for our own convenience so we aren't standing outside waiting on them forever to 'find the right spot', but it's also come in very handy in bad weather and for 'business after dark' when camping in Bear Country.

I'd say it's a very good 'skill' for a dog to have in hurricane country, too!

Seriously that guy should go inside.

It's not like we can understand half of what he's saying!

At this point I do wish they'd check in with other anchors/other areas. I understand landfall is big news, but we can't hear him and other areas are being affected too.

Randomly: standing there in 80-100 mph like he is for so long must burn an insane amount of calories, bet he's gonna have a huge dinner. It looks exhausting, like swimming a marathon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter