Hurricane Irma?

Latest model has the eye never going over Orlando... has it more to the east. Could still be a few rough days but this is why I don't think people coming this weekend should change plans yet. Give it till tomorrow at least.

The eye is the calmest part of the storm...just saying...

Come on you know what I mean. You don't want the eye to go over you. That's hurricanes 101

@DoTheDisFam is totally correct! Hurricane force winds extend outward a long ways (depending on storm strength) so if you're close enough for that, at least there is a lull as the eye passes over!! So, in that scenario, I'd rather the eye pass over me (been there, done that - in fact was having a baby at that time!!). Was able to get to hospital during the eye lull! :tilt:

We are scheduled at Beach Club from 9/7-9/13---for those who have rescheduled your visit, did BC have any room/availability for September or late October? This has been such a hard decision for us. We need to decide soon what to do. What was the rescheduling fee?

There was availability this morning for 9/17-9/20. Also, I found BC rooms on Orbitz and Priceline; they weren't really discounted, but they had them. I also saw rooms for POR both Riverside and FQ, and several other resorts.

i was just ranting. which everyone does. like i mentioned in a previous post, i have depression, and this trip is/was basically my livelihood. it was kind of the only thing i had to look forward to. trying to make it to a new trip date, is going to be very hard for me. i know for some people it's just "oh it stinks", but for me, it's so much more than that.

i just think Disney should be helpful, since they have such a huge impact on this country. not trying to ruffle feather.

I completely sympathize as I'm in a similar boat. As I mentioned a few pages ago, clearly I made a mistake in booking now and forgetting insurance but it's the only trip I have ever booked and I'm not from anywhere that ever gets hurricanes. I genuinely, truly didn't know, and all the research I did just said "omg wow September so great, kids in school, low crowds, still warm, great!" Nothing that indicated I had such a high likelihood of having my entire trip devastated by the worst storm to have ever been recorded in the area...

I know lots of people here are veteran travelers, FL residents, people who can afford to make changes and I get it, I'm sure it's frustrating to see people like myself mope around. But I'm very low income and already mentally fragile on a good day, and seeing "you should have known better" is like twisting the knife. I do want to sincerely thank everyone who has been so helpful and informative, I've learned a lot and still trying to figure out what to do. I am leaning towards just going at this point because I don't know that I'll be able to cancel and afford to go again and only have til tomorrow morning to choose. I should have known better, but I didn't, and nothing can change that now.

When are they predicting it will hit fl. We have a flight at 6am arriviving in Tampa at 830am. Everyone keeps telling me it will hit at 3am and flight will be canceled. I am even being told Florida schools have closed for friday. I personally think we will be last flight in for the day since it's so early. I think people are over reacting. Anyone else feel this way? I don't understand the panic. We don't know exactly what it's going to do yet.

I am leaning towards just going at this point because I don't know that I'll be able to cancel and afford to go again and only have til tomorrow morning to choose. I should have known better, but I didn't, and nothing can change that now.
What are your dates again? This thread is moving fast and I can't go back and find out.

thank you for this kind response :) i am dealing with a lot so right now so this is all overwhelming!
After staying up late searching for FP availability and dining reservations it is very frustrating to lose them. And, I feel your pain. I had BOG, FOP, and SDMT scheduled for the next four days. However, I don't know how Disney could make accommodations to give me the same reservations for things that are no longer available. It would be nice, but I don't think that it can happen. Sorry that you have to give up your reservations.

i have trip insurance, but unfortunately this doesn't cover FP and ADR.
My apologies if I misunderstood your comment, but, you are upset because you might have to wait on line for Space Mountain, or not be able to eat at a certain restaurant at some point in the future? This is your concern in the face of what is coming and what will, certainly, destroy lives?

IMHO, I think people should wait a few days before changing any plans. Right now the Irma is so far away that an accurate path is too difficult to predict. The models will give much better guidance by Thursday evening.

Some of us are leaving tomorrow and Thursday so we don't have the luxury of waiting. It is such a hard call for a lot of people to make right now with the uncertainty.

I disagree. This is the reason we are always told to have trip insurance during hurricane season

Hate the break it to you but the whole travel insurance turned out to be a waste as well for us. I have it for exactly this reason and it only really helps if something happens during your trip travel or while on vacation. It does nothing to help us cancel the trip if we could actually make our flight there. This is totally idiotic to me as JetBlue has only added waivers for Saturday and Sunday. It's like they are saying, ok we can get you in on Friday so you have to go or lose a bunch of money. I'm not so sure we really want to be flown into FL so we can ride out a cat 5 hurricane in a $400/night resort.... I wish they would offer the waivers from now through Sunday...really hoping they do so if the forecast gets more accurate and tourists are encourages to stay away....

If worse case secnario
When are they predicting it will hit fl. We have a flight at 6am arriviving in Tampa at 830am. Everyone keeps telling me it will hit at 3am and flight will be canceled. I am even being told Florida schools have closed for friday. I personally think we will be last flight in for the day since it's so early. I think people are over reacting. Anyone else feel this way? I don't understand the panic. We don't know exactly what it's going to do yet.

2 early to tell if and when it will..

Most likely Sunday night into Monday night I would assume..

Some of us are leaving tomorrow and Thursday so we don't have the luxury of waiting. It is such a hard call for a lot of people to make right now with the uncertainty.
True, you are in a pickle on what to do. You get down there and you might not get a flight back out.

Yes this! We're not checking in til sunday but we're a 2 day drive away so leaving friday evening. We kind of have to make a decision soon!

My apologies if I misunderstood your comment, but, you are upset because you might have to wait on line for Space Mountain, or not be able to eat at a certain restaurant at some point in the future? This is your concern in the face of what is coming and what will, certainly, destroy lives?
Welcome to America! From your post I can see you haven't been here long!

What are your dates again? This thread is moving fast and I can't go back and find out.

I was supposed to arrive the 7th and do parks the 8th-11th, and leave the 12th. I would be totally, completely fine with extending my trip 2 or even 3 days to make up for it, but as much of an Eyore as I am, even I don't want to risk death by hurricane. And I worry that if this is truly unprecedented, there will be evacuations or at the very least that the park will be closed much longer than it ever has been before. As has been said a brazillion times, no one knows. Just unfortunate that my arrival time makes it so I probably won't know if I'm doomed til I get there and settle in!

I was supposed to arrive the 7th and do parks the 8th-11th, and leave the 12th. I would be totally, completely fine with extending my trip 2 or even 3 days to make up for it, but as much of an Eyore as I am, even I don't want to risk death by hurricane. And I worry that if this is truly unprecedented, there will be evacuations or at the very least that the park will be closed much longer than it ever has been before. As has been said a brazillion times, no one knows. Just unfortunate that my arrival time makes it so I probably won't know if I'm doomed til I get there and settle in!
Are you flying in?

there is no need to be nasty. like i mentioned in a previous post, i have depression, very severe depression, and this trip is/was basically my livelihood. it was kind of the only thing i had to look forward to. making these plans and everything gave me a reason to be happy. trying to actually make it to a new trip date, is going to be very hard for me. i know for some people it's just "oh it stinks", but for me, it's so much more than that.

I'm sorry, I truly understand your point and do agree, but it's possible to be monumentally upset over ones vacation and still be equally horrified for the people who live in the storms path. I am of course worried for everyone. I know it's a terrible situation all around, but let's all try to be understanding - everything about the situation sucks from every angle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter