Hurricane Irma?

Thank you @maxaroni! Their feelings waiting to make the decision sounds similar to what I experienced! My stomach was in knots, not sleeping, etc. It all went away once I cancelled.

Too funny that they came to Canada! We live a couple of hours from Niagara Falls and have decided to do a mini getaway to there this weekend! Hope they're enjoying their visit here!! Welcome fellow Disney friends!

We went from Pensacola to Gainesville last night, normally it should take 5-6 hours. It took us 11, gas was easy to find I still saw some long lines. My advice is is to top off right before or after Tallahassee. I-75 had the longest lines. Today we do the final push to the Poly! Good luck to everyone on the way here.

We went from Pensacola to Gainesville last night, normally it should take 5-6 hours. It took us 11, gas was easy to find I still saw some long lines. My advice is is to top off right before or after Tallahassee. I-75 had the longest lines. Today we do the final push to the Poly! Good luck to everyone on the way here.

We'll be there today as well! Using the Waze app and midway through North Carolina right now. Keeping tank full. Good luck! You're almost there!!

I'm checking in to say we made it through the eye of Irma. My town looks like a war zone, but my house faired well. Just a few areas of roof, down fence, and a big branch of one of our giant oak trees went down. It missed the car by inches! We had a lot of debris to clean up. We have power back. And are very lucky compared to the damage sustained by many of our friends.

Stayed in Panama City, FL for the past 5 days. Trekked back home NOT via I-75 and gas availability was intermittent. I-75 is likely to be shut down today as the Santa Fe river appears to be heading for flooding. Gas lines are/were long and police governed.

Lost some smaller trees and my privacy fence took some minor hits; it's all good with power though.

We made it home (Philadelphia) last night on Frontier. After two cancelled flights, and a 5:20pm flight not taking off until 9pm, we landed around midnight and after the drive home got in about 2am. Frontier emailed us each a $50 voucher that is non transferable and must be booked (not used) by December 11 for the long delay. The delay was mechanical, not due to weather.

Honestly, just glad to wake up in my own bed this morning even though I'm extremely tired! Good luck to all tying to make it home!

Please let us know how it goes, we are holed in MS trying to get back to the Orlando area, waiting on traffic to clear a bit and gas to be available.

Thanks

First, glad you are safe, but sorry that you had to go through something so scary.

This is out of curiosity - I am guessing from your user name you live FL. As a girl from the Midwest - I always thought no one in FL had a basement and now I want to know how do you get a basement in FL?

We live on a hill on the "spine" of the state. The house is two levels set into the hill, with part of the lower level completely underground. We had that part built like a bunker for riding out storms, although the entire house is reinforced concrete with a concrete tile roof. Our first Florida home was wood construction and once you have ridden out a storm in that, you go for something stronger for the next house.

We are from Ohio originally, and the tornado training helped form our construction plans as well.

They announced this am president Trump going to Florida tomorrow. Wonder if that will affect flights airports roads?
Hope it's not Mco.

For those traveling to Disney or South FL from the panhandle area might want to consider the US 19/98 route down the west coast of FL. My daughter left Panama City Beach, FL headed to Tampa at 5:30am this morning and said she is making good time with no traffic on the road. She is finding gas but I warned her it will get harder as she gets further south.

Last Wednesday when they evacuated she took the I75/I10 route (due to not having a good operating phone) and her friends took the US19/98 route - it took her 3 1/2 hours longer to get to PCB then it took her friends.

I always thought no one in FL had a basement and now I want to know how do you get a basement in FL?
You're mostly correct, having a basement in the Orlando area is like having struck gold. The vast majority of Central Florida homes are not able to have basements due to the water table, but we do have a number of hills in the area that will allow homes to have basements. There is Sugarloaf Mountain, Iron Mountain and Mount Dora just to name a few.

Ok, at just over 300 feet or less, they probably don't qualify as mountains but we'll take what we can get. And located just 15 minutes from me are Splash Mountain, Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain.

They announced this am president Trump going to Florida tomorrow. Wonder if that will affect flights airports roads?
Hope it's not Mco.

Not sure what it will be like this time but we were trying to fly out of MCO when Trump was in Florida in February. Most flights were delayed for a couple of hours even though he was flying elsewhere in the state. Not sure if it will be the same tomorrow but this was our experience earlier this year.

Hope it's not Mco.
Anytime the president flies into an airport there are brief closures of the airport and roads he will be traveling on. These are very brief and won't really have an impact on the average traveler.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter