Hurricane Dorian / WDW Theme Parks Discussion

I have a question concerning Disney transportation when the parks are closed tomorrow at 3 PM. Do they also shut all transportation between parks and resorts?. The reason I ask is that I have to return a rental to the dolphin and would need to get back to Coronado. I’m just wondering if Uber- taxis will be available Wednesday to get me back??
Transport of some sort will still be running because I saw a note to TAs that WDW is honoring hotel dining reservations until 5:30pm. I wouldn’t wait until then to get the car back but prior to that I wouldn’t worry about transport.

I've seen a couple people mention the disturbance behind Dorian. Does anyone know how long it took Dorian to make it to florida (tomorrow) once the disturbance was observed? Wondering about me trip 18-26th.
Most disturbances don’t become hurricanes. Most hurricanes don’t hit the US. Most hurricanes that hit the US don’t hit Florida. Most hurricanes that hit Florida don’t hit Orlando.

It’s too early to worry.

We were scheduled to fly home tomorrow, so this is the first validation that we made the right decision cancelling, as we would have been stranded for who knows how long. I’ve been kicking myself all weekend reading reports about the low crowds and great weather, thinking “we would have been fine, we should have just gone!” Stay safe, everyone there now!
Trust me, it's very stressful with this storm and we felt on a rollercoaster ride, with how rapidly the storm changed and progressed. We were there and the low crowds were great, but something definitely felt "off", we knew something big was going on but it wasn't good.

Don't kick yourself, I told dh I never want that stress again about Disney. When we finally got to MK on Friday night for the party we had been driving for two days, the whole time hearing bits and pieces of the weather. When I saw the castle I cried, I was so relieved we made it.

It still might be fine at Disney and I really hope is. There's been enough death and destruction with this storm already and it needs to stop. But trying to enjoy Disney while feeling on pins and needles is difficult. We did make the best of it and we're home safe.
Just cancelled a FoP FP for tomorrow at 3:45. This hurts.
I hear you...I gave up Oga's because we left early!

The airport doesn't cancel flights, airlines do.
Which came first, the chicken or the egg?
Obviously airlines can't fly to a closed airport, right?

I have a question concerning Disney transportation when the parks are closed tomorrow at 3 PM. Do they also shut all transportation between parks and resorts?. The reason I ask is that I have to return a rental to the dolphin and would need to get back to Coronado. I’m just wondering if Uber- taxis will be available Wednesday to get me back??
When we were at the parks and they closed early for Matthew Disney still transported guests just like any other park closing. Disney isn't in the habit of leaving guests stranded at the parks with no way to return. As for private transport, like Ride Share, they'll be out unless it's too dangerous to be on the road. Forecasts at this point don't indicate it will reach that point in Orlando.

Can't believe the reports of Disney cancelling the fireworks at all the parks this evening, all models/forecasts have nothing more than light breeze.

There are bands from Dorian actively hitting all over Florida as we speak. Orlando is currently under a Tropical Storm Warning.

WDW's first priority is to keep their guests safe. I can absolutely believe they're taking every necessary precaution to do just that (including cancelling fireworks), given the reality that there is a MASSIVE Cat 4 hurricane parked right next door churning and churning. Perspective.

MCO is expecting to reopen at 5pm Wed. FAA link. (This doesn’t mean flights will actually happen, it’s subject to change, it takes a while to get an airport up and running, blah, blah, blah etc can be discussed on the transport board as per mod request but in the spirit of present realities FYI.)

So is the consensus now that Dorian will not make landfall into Florida but head north. Locals have told me to ditch weather channel and listen to Tom terry and Brian shields. So Orlando is looking at some rain bands and some potential high winds but nothing devastating correct? I understand the coast and barrier islands of Florida could be a different scenario but it appears some bad weather and winds Tuesday night thru Wednesday. My guess is that once the winds are decent all should be fine at mco.
We travel to Aruba frequently and the wind is almost always 15-25 mph. Last I saw Orlando had “potential” of 30-40 so nothing too crazy.

So is the consensus now that Dorian will not make landfall into Florida but head north. Locals have told me to ditch weather channel and listen to Tom terry and Brian shields. So Orlando is looking at some rain bands and some potential high winds but nothing devastating correct? I understand the coast and barrier islands of Florida could be a different scenario but it appears some bad weather and winds Tuesday night thru Wednesday. My guess is that once the winds are decent all should be fine at mco.
We travel to Aruba frequently and the wind is almost always 15-25 mph. Last I saw Orlando had “potential” of 30-40 so nothing too crazy.

Right, but the storm only needs to come about a half a tick to the west for the winds to really pick up. Tropical force storm winds can get up to 70+ mph, which can result in downed power lines. Not saying that will happen, but it's absolutely possible, depending on how far west the storm shifts.

Went to Hollywood studios tonight on a chance, we had a fastpass showing of Indiana Jones cancelled partway thru earlier today (bummer because we were picked to be extras) and got the fastpass back for use on anything. Was able to use it for Fantasmic! 8:30 showing, half expected a paired down show - but we got pretty much all effects including pyro and the dragon. The only thing missing was the cloth the characters wave on the ending boat.

We're going to chance Typhoon Lagoon tomorrow seeing as it's open hah.

Universal don't need to close. Doubt they will see any sustained winds over 35mph and gusts probably no stronger than downbursts in a normal large thunderstorm that they get regularly, the only adjustments they will probably make is rip ride rocket/hulk closing mid afternoon once winds get to speed that could slow/stall train(would say hagrids as well but that is down more than it is working, so at least they can blame the wind when it inevitably goes down). Can't believe the reports of Disney cancelling the fireworks at all the parks this evening, all models/forecasts have nothing more than light breeze. Just back from spending evening at ICON park and even the star flyer is still going.
I was at the party and there was a projection show without the fireworks. We questioned why as there was only a light breeze. Better safe than sorry I guess.

The damage is going to be to beaches and coastal areas. Beach erosion, flooding will definitely happen.

WDW's first priority is to keep their guests safe.

Exactly this! ^ We got home today from Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort. Today was our checkout day but last night (Sunday) we got a notice in our room that the whole resort was closing today and guest needed to be out by noon. We decided to gas up last night before gas ran out or had long lines and good thing we did! Every station on our was out was out of gas! Disney takes these storm threats seriously and places guest safety first.

Another reason they may have cancelled flights for Wed is the area the flights are going into. If the flights are going up the East coast those areas could be effected and planes aren't going to fly into a storm. Also because of the large area the storm could effect the planes have been placed out of harms way. It may take some time to get things all back in place.

We were scheduled to fly home tomorrow, so this is the first validation that we made the right decision cancelling, as we would have been stranded for who knows how long. I’ve been kicking myself all weekend reading reports about the low crowds and great weather, thinking “we would have been fine, we should have just gone!” Stay safe, everyone there now!

We were supposed to go down Friday evening and fly back yesterday. Turns out we would have been fine, but I would have been stressed out the whole weekend and probably would not have enjoyed myself.

I've never been to Universal but I thought it was pretty close to Disney. Why do you say Universal wouldn't have to close? Don't the two parks get the same weather?

My only guess is that Universal usually closes early in September anyway and has more indoor attractions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter