How were you told about the birth of your first grandchild?

No, lol, my first labor and delivery was horribly traumatic, actually, but notifying people that I was in labor wouldn’t have changed that. You said “live and learn” like they had made some obvious mistake and I couldn’t figure out how it would matter one way or the other, that’s why I asked.

Oh, in our case, It was pretty chaotic. DS and DDIL were calling us and her folks with many questions, and a lot of help was needed when baby was brought home. We all had to quickly mobilize and reorganize schedules to pitch in.
It was kind of strange to start getting the panic calls when nobody even knew they were at the hospital.
They definitely did it differently with their second baby. But every family dynamic is different.

Last edited:
Our DD is having a scheduled c-section in 2 weeks. This is our first grandchild. She and her husband decided not to find out the sex of the baby--they want to be surprised, which makes this even more thrilling for us.

My DD wants to tell us in person after she is out of recovery. Something like "we'd like you to meet your new grandxxx." We love that idea. My son-in-law will just text or call us to let us know that mom and baby are fine. At that point, we'd head down to the hospital. Does this seem reasonable? It will delay our knowing by a few hours, but heck, we've waiting this long!

This is also the first grandchild for the in-laws. My SIL will most likely tell his parents over the phone. I'm sure he will be excited to share the news with his parents immediately.
One thing I will caution you about. This was our plan also. However, my husband was talking to his mother on the phone before she came to the hospital. He wasn't even thinking and told her that we had to stay the whole 2 days to allow time for the circumcision. Whoops!

I love that they are communicating with you about a possible plan (because I know birth plans change!) for when you'll see the baby, etc.

Last edited:
Our DD is having a scheduled c-section in 2 weeks. This is our first grandchild. She and her husband decided not to find out the sex of the baby--they want to be surprised, which makes this even more thrilling for us.

My DD wants to tell us in person after she is out of recovery. Something like "we'd like you to meet your new grandxxx." We love that idea. My son-in-law will just text or call us to let us know that mom and baby are fine. At that point, we'd head down to the hospital. Does this seem reasonable? It will delay our knowing by a few hours, but heck, we've waiting this long!

This is also the first grandchild for the in-laws. My SIL will most likely tell his parents over the phone. I'm sure he will be excited to share the news with his parents immediately.
This is similar to what we did, although my mom and in-laws were at the hospital before the c-section. (We told them to wait at home, that it would be several hours until they could see me, but they all insisted.) We knew the sex because we did IVF, but didn't tell anyone else. After the birth, my husband texted his dad a photo and let them know we were fine. We also texted updates during recovery and let them know an estimated time for me to get a room. My mom was going crazy waiting, but I warned her it would be long! Finally, we got moved and everyone came upstairs to see us. My husband was holding the baby and said "Hi everyone, we'd like you to meet Owen." Everyone just assumed I was having a girl so the screams of surprise from my mom were the best. :)

First three grandchildren are local.
First grandson, DS was the only one in the delivery room and all grandparents were in the hospital waiting room.
Next two, Grandfathers were in waiting room and DDIL’s mom and I were in the delivery room.
Fourth grandchild (my DS2’s) was born on the west coast and we live on the east coast, so we received texts, phone calls and pictures during and after the delivery. We visited when he was 5 weeks old.
Fifth grandchild is due in May (DD), also in the west, but I plan to go a few days before and be there during and after (DD’s wish).

This is similar to what we did, although my mom and in-laws were at the hospital before the c-section. (We told them to wait at home, that it would be several hours until they could see me, but they all insisted.) We knew the sex because we did IVF, but didn't tell anyone else. After the birth, my husband texted his dad a photo and let them know we were fine. We also texted updates during recovery and let them know an estimated time for me to get a room. My mom was going crazy waiting, but I warned her it would be long! Finally, we got moved and everyone came upstairs to see us. My husband was holding the baby and said "Hi everyone, we'd like you to meet Owen." Everyone just assumed I was having a girl so the screams of surprise from my mom were the best. :)
Oh I love this!!

I did tell my daughter that she might want to ask for a white hat for the baby. If we walk into the room and see either a pink or blue hat, we're going to know before she even has a chance to say anything!!

Oh I love this!!

I did tell my daughter that she might want to ask for a white hat for the baby. If we walk into the room and see either a pink or blue hat, we're going to know before she even has a chance to say anything!!
Our hat was pink and blue stripes!

The wrist bands were our giveaway. I sent a pic of my husband holding the baby in the recovery room, not realizing you could see the blue band. Thankfully, nobody really noticed it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter