How to keep from getting insanely jealous?

Please don't use my comment as a validation of your feelings. How you handle those little petty jealousies makes or breaks you as a grown-up. You seem very ... young ... to me. Do you mind telling us how old you are?

I'm quite old - 26.

Very interesting. I cannot decide if the jealousy comes from entitlement or insecurity. More info needed please. popcorn::

OP, maybe if you concentrate more on your blessings and less on others blessings, good fortune (however you define that) will find you. :goodvibes

Karma is real. Wishing bad things upon good people is bad juju. :sad1:

I wouldn't call 26 "quite old" :lmao:. Neither would most 26-year olds.

OK OK, :rolleyes: I am relatively young! I guess I am old compared to people who have such feelings as I do. Some people get over it early in their lives, mine still lingers with me. After all, I know my feelings aren't very adult, are they?

Very interesting. I cannot decide if the jealousy comes from entitlement or insecurity. More info needed please. popcorn::

OP, maybe if you concentrate more on your blessings and less on others blessings, good fortune (however you define that) will find you. :goodvibes

Karma is real. Wishing bad things upon good people is bad juju. :sad1:

... can I offer to refill your popcorn bag?

Your feelings are your feelings no matter what age. You just need to learn how to get by the "jealous" feelings. Hey, I'm twice your age and still find myself getting a little jealous of other people sometimes. That's normal. When that happens, I then remember all the wonderful things life has given me (over other people) - like two healthy children, the ability to keep a roof over my head, food on the table, etc - and still have $$ to visit WDW. When I look at it that way, I'm seeing everything I have as opposed to what others have.

I truly believe that a lot a people focus more on what they don't have then on what they have. In life, things happen for a reason, we all have our own path to travel (darn I sound like pocahontas). I don't think you are mad about other people getting what your are not getting, you should try to find what you really feel you're missing in life. The only joy someone can get in life can only be brought by oneself.

My 2 cents.

Kazzy:hippie:

In all seriousness, do your best to keep your jealousy in check. The emotion of jealousy affects the adrenals and the reproductive system. Jealousy can be conterbalanced with generosity....give it a shot....what do you have to lose? You are a step ahead of most your age. You know and admit that you get jealous while at Disney. Now that you have the awareness, what is the lesson to be learned? Just something to think about.

Well, I guess because I went to WDW not expecting to receive any Special Dreams (I never WIN anything...I'm a loser....in real life...LOL), it really didn't bother me, I'm used to it. We had my ADORABLE DGD with us...and she did not attract any Dream Team prizes. We did see Dream Team members and placed ourselves within possible "Dream Position", but were never chosen. I just told the family that we didn't fit the profile.
However, we did receive Magic from our wonderful Mousekeeper, Marie and a late check out from CM Jean! Nonetheless, we had a GREAT time!

In all seriousness, do your best to keep your jealousy in check. The emotion of jealousy affects the adrenals and the reproductive system. Jealousy can be conterbalanced with generosity....give it a shot....what do you have to lose? You are a step ahead of most your age. You know and admit that you get jealous while at Disney. Now that you have the awareness, what is the lesson to be learned? Just something to think about.
:thumbsup2

I was thinking instead of visiting WDW on your next trip, maybe you should try a volunteer vacation. Seeing the world & being able to give to those less fortunate than yourself will fix your attitude in no time!:goodvibes
Then you will become a real princess & not a jealous step sister in disguise:)

One of my favorite quotes it:

The foundation of gratitute is to expect nothing.

ANd to go along with it:

Happiness is not having everything we want, it's wanting everything we have.

Make your own magic.

At 26, you're still on the journey to self-actualization. On a postitive note, you acknowlege your feelings and admit that they aren't what they should be. That's a big step in the right direction. The next step is to work on why you feel that way and what you can do to turn that negative into a positive.

Think of the times that someone has done something nice for you, for no special reason. How did it make you feel? Imagine how it made that person feel to do something for you. Try to focus on that the next time you see the Dream Team at work and you're not on the receiving end.

And as others have mentioned, try to spread a little of your own pixie dust. Buy some glow necklaces or bracelets and pass them out to children at a nighttime show. Give the FastPasses that you aren't going to use to someone who just entered the park. Help a young mother struggling with a stroller and toddlers to get on a bus or tram. Hold a door open for someone in an ECV. Small acts of charity bring big karma points and they make you feel good, too.

I know it's difficult not to feel jealous when you see someone receiving something special. It's a human emotion and you're allowed to own it. The problem is not "feeling" jealous, it's in how you handle it when those feelings creep up on you.

Keep growing as a person, OP. :hippie:

I know I am just repeating what others have said but:eek: What a horrible attitude to have! You should be thrilled to just be able to go to WDW, especially getting in free!
Have You thought that the people with illnesses that get extras(that you hope something bad happens to them) are already going through something horrible! Maybe that little extra they receive brings just a little bit of joy into their life!
You should just count your blessings that you are able to be in WDW. There are people who are too sick to go, or that just don't have enough money!
I have had really bad things happen to me, when I was 26 I had twins. One of them died. The other was in the hospital for 87 days. Both my parents have cancer! When I walk into the gates of the MK, I am so overjoyed and happy to be there, I can forget my troubles! I think it's sad that you walk around the happiest place on earth with that whoa is me attitude. Maybe you don't get anything extra because you don't deserve it. Change that attitude around, and maybe something special will happen to you!

Let me just say upfront, that I understand this may offend some people on this board and to all you with cute little girls running around in Cinderella outfits this is not directed to you or your little girls.

Someone wondered earlier if these feelings came from insecurity or a sense of entitlement. Let me say I vote for sense of entitlement. You are not a princess, ok. You are a 26 year old woman that needs to grow up and realize that this world does not revolve around you and your needs.

This may come across as harsh, but I feel that is what you are opening yourself up to with a post like this.

:thumbsup2

I was thinking instead of visiting WDW on your next trip, maybe you should try a volunteer vacation. Seeing the world & being able to give to those less fortunate than yourself will fix your attitude in no time!:goodvibes
Then you will become a real princess & not a jealous step sister in disguise:)

I was going to post the exact same thing. I lurk on the Coping and Compassion part of this board, and frankly I was horrified to see you (OP) post over there that you were jealous of the joy someone received from Disney after the death of a family member.

There are several young posters on these boards who trouble me, and I hope that they are not indications of their generation. (I have met many many young people who offset this type of attitude, and hope that those people represent those in their early/mid twenties)

May I suggest that you stop focussing on yourself, and focus on others. Spread your own magic by giving kids stickers at WDW. Or buy a meal for the person in line behind you. YOU can make magic for others, and I guarantee that in return you will find magic for yourself.

I don't know - but the worst of me rears though when I see or hear of people and all the great "bonuses" Disney gives to them be it a Million Dream blessing or special treatment due to illiness

I just re-read the OP & noticed the "illness" comment!:mad: :sad2: :scared:
Maybe you should add a ~TIC! to the end of your name!?
I will stop myself now because I could go on & on...

I was going to post the exact same thing. I lurk on the Coping and Compassion part of this board, and frankly I was horrified to see you (OP) post over there that you were jealous of the joy someone received from Disney after the death of a family member.

That is absolutely beyond wrong. I am not saying this is in any kind of joking or sarcastic manner. If the OP truely felt that way and then went so far as to reply to the post, then she needs to speak with some type of counselor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter