How to go Home more often....

tchrrx

<font color=red>Blame it on the plastic cow I ment
I would love to do more short trips rather than a long one each summer. However, the cost of flights makes this inconvient. How can we get cheaper flights in order to come home more often? (flying from OKC, only able to go on school breaks)

I would love to do more short trips rather than a long one each summer. However, the cost of flights makes this inconvient. How can we get cheaper flights in order to come home more often? (flying from OKC, only able to go on school breaks)
The only thing I can think of is for you, your spouse or one of the kids to get a job with one of the airlines - they usually have some sort of discount or nearly free way for their employees (and their families) to fly. Other than that, if you want to fly, you have to pay whatever it costs for the dates you want.

Is it worth it to sign up for an airline's frequent flyer program? How does that work?

Is it worth it to sign up for an airline's frequent flyer program? How does that work?

An airline's FF program gives you credit towards future flight.

Are you actually asking about a credit card with airline credits? Those are different. With most of them, you'll get credits with each purchase you make using the card. Some are tied into hotel/motel chains; some are "partnered" with car rental companies, etc.

Each airline is different, and each credit card is different. You can visit the web page of whichever airlines are most convenient for you to use. There should be an explanation of how to get flight credits there, and any incentives to getting their credit card.

Some credit cards, such as Choice Privileges actually are more generous with their perks than the airline's (I changed from my SWA card because of this.).

There is a website, www.flyertalk.com where you can ask all the questions you have regarding perks/ airlines/ redeeming credits, etc. The folks there are happy to share their knowledge. :thumbsup2

Being from Oklahoma too we rarely are able to get decent airfares. It is so hard to see people talking about the cheap fares they get.

I too would love to be able to go more often but for now we are stuck with our longer trips once a year. For our trip last Christmas we did fly out of Dallas. We went down the night before and stayed in a hotel that had the park and fly option, it was actuall cheaper than paying for airport parking! But we got the cheap fare only three weeks out. Until then we were driving.

Have you signed up to receive the ding alerts from SWA? I still haven't found anything I am willing to pay for so at this point we are driving in only 33 more days!

Here is your solution: Do like me and DF, and that is live 60 miles away:) We go for 2 nights every month at least, sometimes more, yet it still isnt enough.....

Best advice I can come up with is drive to a larger airport.We have an airport 20 minutes away but drive to either Phila or Newark for sheaper flights. Our July trip is $49. each way and Oct is $59. have to get up early and drive a little but it's worth it. We also subscribe to all the airlines cheap flight alerts. Also have Jan.08 booked I think that one was $59. not sure and to lazy to go look.:rotfl:

Here is your solution: Do like me and DF, and that is live 60 miles away:) We go for 2 nights every month at least, sometimes more, yet it still isnt enough.....
That's my next plan but I still have a few years to wait maybe 2015.:banana:

We live in Tulsa and decided this year to fly out of KC. We got n/s flights on SWA and flew, round-trip, for less than $160 per person. I know lots on the east coast and big cities get fares cheaper than this, but we have never seen any fares less than $220 per person w/ taxes. When we factored in the time we would have sat in other airports for the connecting flights (no nonstop out of Tulsa on SWA), that 3 hour drive to KC made the trip (driving plus flying) no longer than one out of Tulsa w/ the connects.

Sharon

Believe it or not, DH actually checked the other day & brought home a list of available jobs for him that were within a 2 hour drive of WDW! I couldn't believe it! He's never lived anywhere other than OK & both of our families are here. While it's somewhat tempting, I figure we'd spend more money trying to come back to visit families than it would be worth. (Plus, whenever we saw family, we'd all have to stay the night at each other's houses. At least now we can go home at the end of the night!) Who knows though...maybe in about 15 years when DD is grown & we're getting ready to retire...:cloud9:

DW and I use the Capital One No Hassle Rewards Card. Basically we run all the bills we can through that card: mostly utility bills, insurance payments (as long as they don't add an extra fee for that), gasoline charges. The key is that we pay the balance off each month. That way we don't pay any interest. If there's something we would normally pay cash or write a check for, we put it on the card, and pay it off. We earn one point for every dollar spent. So the points pile up for doing the things and paying the bills we would pay anyway.

The advantages of this over using an Airline Frequent flyer card are several: first, you can use your accumulated points on any airline. Second, the number of points you use is dependent on the price of the ticket, and it is redeemed at 80 points on the dollar -- instead of 100 points to the dollar as in most rewards programs. Third, you can use the points to pay for a ticket already purchased as long as you do that within 90 days from date of purchase. This allows you to get the best price, and the rewards you use is tied to that, rather than to a fixed amount. It also avoids blackout dates. You buy the best-priced ticket you can for the dates you want, and get reimbursed after the fact.

Let me explain that last part more fully. As an example, to fly round trip using United Mileage Plus frequent flyer miles takes 25,000 miles. Period. If the trip you are using those miles on would otherwise cost you $100 or $1000, you still use 25,000 miles. And you can only book with miles when United tells you there are award seats available. With the Capital One Rewards card, you use reward points based on how much your ticket cost. So the $100 ticket will cost you 8,000 points, and the $1000 ticket will cost you 80,000 points - it's up to you to decide, not the airline. You get the best price you can, and Capital One will reimburse you.

Say you buy a ticket for $300, using your No Hassle Card. As soon as the purchase posts to your credit card account, and providing you have enough points to use, you go to the Rewards redemption site, tell them you want to pay for this ticket using your points. They will deduct 24,000 points from your reward account, and give you a $300 credit on your credit card account. And the best thing is, if you DO happen to have a frequent flyer program on the airline you bought the ticket for, you get mileage credit when you fly. If you had used frequent flyer miles for that ticket, you wouldn't get credit for those miles when you actually fly.

I hope this all makes sense, but it has worked well for DW and I over the past several years. We make usually two longer trips to WDW each year, as well as a couple of shorter ones. Last year we also had a trip to London. In 2005 we cashed in miles for tickets to Paris. Currently we're saving miles to take the whole family to Tokyo in a couple of years. This involves ten people. We probably won't be able to buy all of the tickets this way, but at least six of the ten we will. And the other four are DS and his wife, and she works for an airline, so we feel we're covered.

Are we nuts? :upsidedow Absolutely! And lovin' it! :flower3:

And, no, I don't work for Capital One. :cool2:

We fly from Oklahoma also, and have had great success with the SW VISA. We use it for everything from groceries and gasoline to DS college tuition. I don't think we've paid for a flight in years. Disclaimer: I have a business, so I end up buying things like computers on the card, so I suspect my points may rack up faster than someone just using it personally. However, they charge a lot less than most airlines point wise for a ticket so I suspect you could get some free tickets.

The best way is to use a credit card that offers free airline tickets for using the credit card. We have frequent flier accounts with several airlines but have just switched to the credit card offer.

AirTran drops all frequent flier points after 1 year, so it's difficult to accumulate enough for a free flight. So far, we've only been able to redeem points to upgrade to business class (which was great!).

I just received an email from another airlines (don't remember which one) is changing their cut-off period. They used to keep your points account active as long as you had activity within a 3-year period. Now, all FF points drops after 18 months. It's likely more airlines will follow suit or adopt a similar more short-term policy. But the credit card points do not expire, have no blackouts, etc. So it should be much easier to redeem.

The problem with FF miles with legacy airlines is that it is very difficult to get a ticket for 25,000 miles. For popular destinations, you usually need 50,000.

We're also from Oklahoma City and feel your airfare pain! While we're flying out from OKC this next trip, we've driven down to Dallas twice to fly out from there for $132 pp/rt. Makes the drive and staying in a park and fly hotel the night before very worth it.

move to Ala, Georgia or SC.

then the drive is doable in less than 10 hours.

I'm talking to DH about the credit card plan. We currently get gift cards to Best Buy with our points. But, now that he's upgraded pretty much all of our electronics, maybe it's time to switch.

I guess all of us Okies could get together & rent a bus! I can just see us now...

Everybody sing with me, "The wheels on the bus go round & round..."

The problem with FF miles with legacy airlines is that it is very difficult to get a ticket for 25,000 miles. For popular destinations, you usually need 50,000.

For SW you only need 18,000.

I vote for a Disney DVC airline where we can pre-pay our flights to coordinate with our points/UY/amount of years on our contract, etc. :banana:

Well, I can dream can't I?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter