How to eliminate risk for DVC Points Xfer for Direct TUG Trade?

BuzzLightYear3

Mouseketeer
Hi.....Via the TUG Direct Trade listing, I found someone who is willing to trade a week at another timeshare in exchange for a DVC points transfer. How do we go about doing this to protect both of us? I guess they are safe once I've transferred the DVC points to them. How do I ensure we really get the desired reservation in exchange?

Thanks in advance for your help!

If this is a transfer of points for a trade, once they get the points you have no recourse. You could get references but that only goes so far. You might suggest half before and half after your trip, that way you're both on the hook for half the points. For a straight direct trade, the one that travels first is in the best situation.

You might ask for references. Does the person you are trading with have a lot of posts on TUG? Check our his/her previous posts.

Be sure to get the confirmation in your name before the transfer of points. This would be the same advice if you were paying cash/check/PayPal/etc. Since you are trading with an owner at some resort, they can put the reservation in your name and have it faxed, emailed or sent to you. You in turn should be able to call the resort to confirm the reservation. Then you can do the transfer. Note that the owner retains control of the reservation (like we do with our DVC reservations), so you need to feel comfortable with that aspect of it.

Denise.....thanks for your reply!

The other owner did provide a reference of another person whom she traded with last year and who was thrilled, and she's basically offered to do exactly what you've advised, so I think this is going to work out well. It also turned out to be another DIS board member which makes us both feel better.

Coincidentally, the resort for which we're training is the Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas which I see in your signature. So, do you have any inside tips to offer? Things to know about the resort? Things to do in that area? etc.? This will be our first trip to Hawaii. We're going to do Oahu first and then spend the second week at Maui.

Thanks!

Linda

Coincidentally, the resort for which we're training is the Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas which I see in your signature. So, do you have any inside tips to offer? Things to know about the resort? Things to do in that area? etc.? This will be our first trip to Hawaii. We're going to do Oahu first and then spend the second week at Maui.

Linda, I am glad that the trade is going to work out for you! We love :love: the Westin Ka'anapali (WKORV for short) and have been there four times so far. What size/view villa are you trading for? What time of year? There are three buildings. We like to face south so that we can see the sunsets every night. There is a kiddie pool, pool and fun pool slide. Do you have kids? We basically never leave the resort, we are happy with the pools, beach, bar & grill, etc :banana: . Great snorkeling and diving right off the resort beach. Grocery store is nearby. Feel free to pm me if you want to discuss everything in more detail!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter