How strict is Disney with the Under 3 Rule?

I know where you are coming from. Last April ds was 15 months old, so we didn't need to buy them a plane ticket. He would have sat on my lap the whole time anyway even if we did buy them a plane ticket. We knew we were going to go again this April, he'll be 2 years and 3 months old, so we have to buy him a plane ticket (24 months and older). He's free in parks and free buffet and pre-plated meals (Cindy's gave him a meal for free last year). BUT, we considered a Jan 2002 trip, ds would have JUST turned two years old the week before. I was just dying at the fact that I would have to purchase a plane ticket for him. I debated with myself about it for days. Finally we decided the April trip was better for us and 3 months is way different than 3 days, so it's a no brainer for me, we buy the plane ticket. But it's hard to make these choices. It's just like the "using refill mugs at other resorts" My heart and brain say NO NO NO, but my wallet says YES YES YES! I am sending you HAPPY THOUGHTS in your decision!

Our tall for his age DS(9) was asked a couple times how old he was at butffets. They asked him not me. We did take along a copy of his birth certificit but it was never needed. We will be buying an adult ticket next year. Only fair as he now rides everything. Maybe I can get DH a child's ticket, he hardly rides anything that has a hight restriciton over 40 inches.LOL

Jordan's mom

LOL, good one re: dh and child's ticket. Since I cannot ride everything, I wonder why they don't offer a reduced rate. (Just kidding, honest, but, it is the same theory, just reversed)

Children are honest - painfully honest.

My DH and I are both ski instructors...

I used to teach full-time at one of our area resorts with a really great kids program...and no on-hill daycare for the really little ones.

The age for entering the child in the program is 4 - and must be potty trained - not usually a problem for a 4 year old (and we weren't allowed to help much in the bathroom with all the layers of warm clothes either).

Parents would always try to pull a fast one over on the registration table - but the kids would never lie...the biggest clue - ask "how many" and the kids would hold up a mittened hand - the child is 3 or under. A four year old almost always will say "I'm Four!"

We had alot of very embarrassed parents - and I taught alot of 2-hour private lessons with 3-year olds (& even 2 year olds).

Enjoy 'em while their young!

-LA

:)

For the buffets, a child is under 12 even though for tickets it's under 10. So my son will be an adult for admission and a child for the buffets. I'll definitely take that savings as he usually doesn't eat much yet, but I am sure I will be red-faced again when I have them taking that charge off. Although he's only turning 10 this month he's very, very tall and wears a size 14 Levis, has his braces now etc... so I know we'll have that confusion. Buying him an adult ticket doesn't seem like that big a deal because the adult ticket doesn't cost much more than a child's ticket, really, and I know he gets as much entertainment value as I do.

It's a much bigger chunk of change when they turn 3 and go from no ticket to the child's ticket. I have to say, though, that my daughter absolutely got her money's worth when we went back and she was 3 even though she did exactly the same things as when she was 2 yrs 11 months. She could ride almost everything both times and it's really only fair that Disney get money for that. So maybe it's less an issue of being able to do more at 3 yrs 1 month than at 2 years 11 months, but more like we're lucky that Disney hasn't lowered the age to 2. I was just thrilled when she was free at 2, but did not begrudge the ticket when she was 3.

Hi Everyone.
I guess this might seem like a silly question, but I'll ask. My son turns 10 on 6/8, if we check in on 6/07 do we buy the "childs" ticket since he is 9 when we bought it, or do we just buy the adults ticket? I have already purchased these tickets , and did buy him an adult, but after reading these post and remembering the agent asking his age I may have just paid $$ more than I needed to on this trip. Am I off base?:eek:
Thanks
Christi

Hi Christy! And Welcome to the DIS (if I haven't already Welcomed you - and if I have - Nice to see you again! :D )

From all that I have read on these boards, you may have overspent a few dollars. From what I understand, you pay the price of the age of your child on the first day of use. So your son will be 9 on the first day of use. Of course if you are not going to the parks on the day that you check in, then you probably paid the right price since he will be 10 on the first day of use.

Interesting thread. Just had to add that when my daughter was 3 she insisted she was 6. She stuck to her story too. Probably because everyone thought she was funny.

Now she is 6 and her little sister will be 4 next time we go. Sometimes dd 4 hardly eats anything. I don't mind paying for a character buffet since we are mainly paying for the experience. But we won't be going to any other buffets ... just too expensive. I would love to try Boma's for breakfast. Maybe when they are older. But this brings up a question would they let her order off of the menu while the rest of us do the buffet?

cookie2001 -- I don't believe the places that do buffets have menus b/c they are buffet all the time.

I have this question too! My family is taking a trip for my parents 40th anniversary. There will be only 1 child with 7 adults. My niece will turn 3 on Aug. 28th and we are going to Disney on September 29th. I say we buy her a ticket. Her cheap father (my brother:rolleyes: ) does not want to, as she is missing the deadline by only a month. I am very much a rules person and cannot see lying about this, the rules are the rules. But, it is his daughter, I will just make sure I am going through a different line! (And I will buy her a pass for when I take her to the parks without her father! I could not do that!) Maybe if I share this with him he will change his mind? (She is very tall for her age and has an excellant vocabulary. She will definately be the child saying no Daddy, I am three!)

Sorry, my question was too hot to handle and has been removed!!!!!

It was not a slam at anyone or anything, just a question to make you think.

BethR, Moderator wrote this:

TO EVERYONE ELSE - This will NOT become a debate NOR will we have any personal attacks. Sharing of personal experiences is fine.

Please let's not start attacking each other over this issue.:(

Nice to see that SOMEONE reads my posts! :D

THANKS beattyfamily!!! :)

Originally posted by cookie2001
Interesting thread. Just had to add that when my daughter was 3 she insisted she was 6. She stuck to her story too. Probably because everyone thought she was funny.

My 3 yr. old DS tells everyone he is 4 and my 2 yr. old DD has been telling everyone she is 3 since before she turned 2:D

When I took DS & DD to the MK my cousin & her DS joined us. Her DS was 5 1/2 and in an umbrella stroller. She bought him a ticket but was never asked for it or even asked how old he is! He is avg. size for his age and she was shocked that no one seemed to care how old he was.

No one has ever asked how old my children are but they are very small for their ages and the last time we went DS was not yet 3 & DD had just turned 2. We are hoping to go again in Dec. when DS is 4 & DD will be 3 + our new bundle of joy will be about 9 mo. old. Buying a ticket for DD is something I have been on the fence about. She is so tiny for her age that I know she can pass as under 3 but I'm not sure I could survive the guilt of "cheating".

Very interesting thread! I love reading "hot" topics!

I am going to have to buy my DS a child's pass this year for the first time too. I would like to say that the whole idea that children are supremely honest about their age is nonsense. Some are , some aren't . I recently had to pay to take DS to the movies (he is still 2) because he insisted that he was three already! The lady at the window gave me the meanest look - BUT I WASN'T LYING! So , I paid . I also don't like the idea of carrying a birth certificate around. I have already lost three copies of DD's birth certificate and she's only 6.

I don't think anyone is meaning that all kids are supremely honest about their age. I posted about a girl whose dad said she was 2 at the movies and then she kept telling everyone she was 3. I meant it as a "what would you do if this happens" because it might.
I actually saw a family once who looked like they were preparing to get their over 3 yr old child into the park without paying. If that wasn't what it was, I don't know what was going on. It was at Epcot at the area right under the monorail, well before you get to the turnstiles. We were sitting on a bench waiting for my FIL to catch up with us.
The adults told the little boy to get way down in the stroller so he looked smaller (they actually said that), stay sitting and not say anything until they got into the park. They said he'd be in big trouble if he did anything. A lot of people saw and heard them. They must have gotten in because they were gone by the time we got thru the turnstiles.
Personally, I wouldn't have been able to do that since my red cheeks would be shining so bright that the CMs would see me by the time I was 15 feet away.

I have to tell you our experience.
A few years back, we took our goddaughter to WDW. She was 10 I believe, so we purchased an adult pass for her. We got more questions because she didn't look 10. They basically drilled her in line. I'm sure they thought that we had an extra adult ticket that she was using.. It was to the point, I had wished we had only gotten her the child pass.

When we took our son went he was under 3- he was HUGE, almost as big as our twins that is 2 yrs older then him. They never question us.

Last year when we went to WDW my son was 3 1/2. He is little for his age and was under 40" (well according to Disney but that's another story). I did buy him a 5 Day Hopper Plus Pass and a 3 Day Universal Escape Pass plus a Day pass for Busch Gardens and admission to Discovery Cove w/free Sea World included so I spent a mint on tickets for the 4 of us. I just was curious at first and wanted to test the waters so I did not offer his Hopper on the first day (it was in my fannie pack the entire time) and they never questioned me at all. I did not use any of his Disney or Universal Admissions and we went to all 6 of the parks. They never questioned me once and I did not use the card. Did I feel guilty? Yes and No. Yes because I am generally a kind and honest person and No because believe me, Disney got my share of money for my little man. We are going back exactly a year from Wednesday and I don't have to buy tickets for him so I am taking that money and buying my daughter's best friend a set of passes so that we can take her with us so it all came out in the wash. On a final note, I would love to see them charge by height for the little ones.

No flames chrisn - personal attacks are not permitted on these boards. The original poster was asking for experiences and you related yours.

Thank you!

:)

Originally posted by BelleBeautyandtheBeast
I love reading "hot" topics!

Then- be sure to check out our Debate Board, BB&B - but proceed at your own risk! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter