How should I handle this situation if it ever happens again?

Liz

Make a miracle!
Came from Wal-Mart a little while ago with my DD. When she is with me we park in a handicapped spot. She had just gotten back in the car and I was putting things in the trunk when I noticed an older couple walking past the car giving me dirty looks. One was saying to the other "they don't look handicapped" and then they were looking to see what kind of person had just gotten in the car to see if they were elderly. I guess they saw it was a teenage girl and they shook their heads in disgust.

I was so dumbfounded. I got in the car and felt my eyes water up because I hated that someone would think I was such a low life that I would take up a handicapped space inappropriately. Then I got mad. Mad at them that they were so ignorant and mad at myself for not saying something. How should I handle this if it happens again?

Even though she is walking so much better I know the doctor still wants us using the handicapped parking. We saw the doctor just last week and she said she wanted us still using it so Laura doesn't use up all her energy getting in the store and she will have strength to walk around without having to rest in the shoe dept.

Any advice?

I would assume you have handicapped parking tags ----- no explanation is necessary. If you don' t have the tags you probably should get them.

Ignore them. Unfortunately, there's nothing you could do or say that would help the situation -- they've already made their mind up. :mad:

Yes, we do have the handicapped thing that hangs from the rear view mirror. I just think they are thinking maybe we have an elderly person in the house who needs it but we use it even when that person isn't around. I never use a handicapped space if I'm out without Laura, even though I always have the hangtag in the glove box.

Originally posted by wovenwonder
I would assume you have handicapped parking tags ----- no explanation is necessary. If you don' t have the tags you probably should get them.

I totally agree. You have enough to worry about Liz without worrying about what those people mistakenly think. {{{hugs}}}

:( So sorry this happened. I would have said something right then. I would have been as nasty to them as they were to you, but I'm a mean/nasty/scary person when it comes to defending my loved ones. You should not have to deal with that :mad:

I also would have said something. And unless they needed the spot - they had no right making a comment. There are plenty of handicapped spots at WalMart.

Liz, some disabilities are not visible, some people should know that!
You should not have to explain yourself to anyone, they are not the ones walking in your shoes.

I am sorry that this happened to you.:(

I don't have any suggestions, since you said that you have the handicapped hang tag. Some people are just mean-spirited.

In this kind of situation you have to do what is best for you. If that means ignoring them, then do it. If it were me....I would have let them have it. People like that just make me sick. I guess it's because I have known a few people who needed handicapped parking that "look" healthy. I hate judgemental idiots like that. I would have embarrased them to the point where they would have wanted to crawl under a rock :mad:

Drive by and give them the finger (I'm in a Jason Lyon advice dispensing mood today!)

For me, it depends on what mood I was in. Sometimes, I'd ignore them. Other times, I would have chewed them up one side and down the other with comments along the lines of "obviously you've never had a daughter who...". Of course, letting them have it would leave me shaking and angry and crying, so I don't know if that's the best solution or not. ;) (As it is, I'm shaking with anger for what you're having to go through and I'm not even in your situation) :( *hugs*

I'm so sorry to hear that this happened to you. I think the handicap parking spaces are the best thing that has happened as a result of the handicap laws. Unfortunately there are some people who think that being elderly is the only handicap that counts. This law was not passed for the elderly, although they do benefit from it. My grandson was born with a hole in his heart and a malformed pulminary artery. He has had several surguries and is doing very well and looks like a VERY healthy child and at this time has very few limitauions on his activities BUT someday that may change and we will have to get the handicap tag. Believe me if that day ever comes and someone says anything in a parking lot that I overhear they will sure get an earful from me.

I'm sorry you had to go through that scrutiny. {{{{HUGS}}}} Liz. I sure hope you won't have to deal with that type of situation again.

Hugs Liz, Im sorry that happened.

When my dad was dying he had to wear a mask because of the transplant medications. He could still walk though he was often exhausted, we still got looks from people when I parked in the handicapped spots when he was with me. :mad:

Now the people who *do* park there for no good reason are on my list for sure!

You had the tags, Liz, so in my eyes no explanation is necessary. What bothers me is when people park there w/o any tags or plates (or whatever). I think they had no right to say anything and I would most likely ignore them {{hugs}}

I think if it ever happens again, instead of getting mad, giving them an earful, I'd simply say:

"I refuse to dignify your obvious stupidity with the explanation necessary to ensure you understand. Suffice it to say, all disabilities are not outwardly obvious."

Or something a little more eloquently worded - but you get the gist of it. Don't spend your valuable time explaining the world to any of the morons who inhabit it - just let them know they don't know everything, and let them fend for themselves.

So sorry you had to endure that.

Most often people can't see my disability and I use the hang tags. My car is often inspected by people as they walk by. I've never heard anyone say anything, but I've seen many, many people bobbing their heads up and down from my license plate to the mirror. I just smile at them and say hi. I think that makes them take a look at themselves for being the nosey bodies they are. Oh, and I've never had one of the parking lot mayors say hi back to me either. They just kind of turn away and keep walking. :eek: :p

I honestly don't know what I would say if someone were to say something to me. I think I would be so shocked and hurt that I would probably just ignore them. Maybe saying something would be the best thing to do, but I don't think I would be able to think of the right words to say at the time. I'm sorry you were put in that position today. :(

I was getting out of my car yesterday and had something similar happen----a man walked by and said--"Hey--no hang tag--move it"

I said--"Check the license plate--and believe me I'd love to not have the condition that causes me to qualify for that plate!"

I'm learning to speak up for myself! ! !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter