How quickly did you add on? Addonitis poll

How long after buying your first contract did you add on?

• <1 month

Votes: 30 19.4%
  • <3 months

Votes: 29 18.7%
  • <6 months

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • <1 year

Votes: 26 16.8%
  • <2 years

Votes: 19 12.3%
  • <3 years

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • <5 years

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • 5+ years

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I am not planning to add on

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • I am planning to add on but have not yet

Votes: 14 9.0%

• Total voters

intamin

Ready to go.
Just thought I'd start a poll to see how long it takes people on average to add on? 🤔 Feel free to discuss if you wish you had added on earlier or regretted adding on as soon as you did

1700190258954.png

Here's my Total Points Remaining vs. time. Each add-on and stay is a dot (and one OTUP purchase). When points go up visibly, that's an add-on.

Definitely started off slow, taking over 2 years before adding on. Then had a burst of add-ons, then repeated the slow/add-on spree recently.

We added on pretty much immediately. Started resale with a December UY, closed in mid-October and added on in November to get that extra year's worth of points that we banked right away.

View attachment 811170

Here's my Total Points Remaining vs. time. Each add-on and stay is a dot (and one OTUP purchase). When points go up visibly, that's an add-on.

Definitely started off slow, taking over 2 years before adding on. Then had a burst of add-ons, then repeated the slow/add-on spree recently.
From 2018 to 2019 kinda looks like an addict taking a small hit each time 😂. I'm not one to talk though, I was the one who added on in under a month :earboy2:

From 2018 to 2019 kinda looks like an addict taking a small hit each time 😂. I'm not one to talk though, I was the one who added on in under a month :earboy2:
We added on right away… we did the minimum direct (75 RRV in 2019) and went straight for a VGC resale contract cuz that was always gonna be a core property for us. The rest is history (see my signature for the long version). 🤪

I think I was looking before our first resale closed and started making offers on a second within a week or two after. I’m pretty sure we’re good now, at least for a bit.

Glad I'm not the only crazy one who added on in less than a month! My husband thought I was crazy because a week after our offer on 100 pts @PVB was accepted I offered on 150 pts @BWV (this was all in the last 2 months). I'd like to say we're done for now but I look just about everyday for the next one!

We added on within a year but the 3rd and 4th took some convincing to get DH to do I was game he was not - he wouldn’t do resale at all I system it all be direct no exceptions - insane - I think he did that to not add on 🤣🤣

The week we closed on our first contract, a BCV resale, Disney announced the return of APs. Well nuts. We had a trip coming up and thought, gee, if we can get APs for our trip next month and be ahead of the game for all these DVC visits! That soon morphed into, hey if we had blue card we could get that AP for even less! Sigh. Unfortunate timing that cost my savings a VGF contract (ended up taking longer than planned, but still got it done). Still happy we got VGF before it sold out and timing let us redo it under the summer fire sale, but egads!

Now I'm eyeing a CC resale after we used some of our double-loaded resale points to try a few different resorts and loved the theming and layout [insert Michael Scott biting his bottom lip gif here]. But this one can wait. When they're stripped contracts there's little motivation to give sellers my money now to hold a contract for 1-2 years before its points arrive.

We added on pretty much immediately. Started resale with a December UY, closed in mid-October and added on in November to get that extra year's worth of points that we banked right away.
That’s the way to do it and cut down on your dues. You timed it perfectly!! :)

I'm surprised over 60% of people so far added on in under 3 months. I'm 99% sure that's not the case for most people but goes to show the selection bias on these polls we do lol

I'm clearly in a different grouping here. We bought around 1993 at The Vacation Club (now Old Key West). Those points served us so well for more than 20 years. Then, with the kids grown and our vacation patterns changing, we discovered the "add-on"! But, from the first add-on at AKL (our last direct), we're now in the 'every 2 years' area for resale points, which includes a couple sales, too!!!

We added on within 6 mos and then waited a few more yrs as kids grew into teens, needed more space. We added on 3 more times in those years

We bought in 2019 but didn't go on our DVC welcome home until a year later, but we added on during that welcome home trip from Riviera after being pixie dusted into a one-bedroom from the studio we booked during Covid shutdowns. The resort felt empty, but it was amazing!

We've hit the parks hard on these past three years, which was fun and exhausting/expensive. I'm glad we did it though! Now I really do have a sense of our evolving traveling party and park patterns.

I WAS all gung-ho on Poly 2.0, but the more I keep reading about how insanely crowded Poly/Ceremonial House is and the lack of pool R&R availability -- IDK. We love the tower design (not the outside Poly aesthetics though -- the renderings look awful, IMO, but we love room functionality of Riviera and expect them to have Poly 2.0 perfected,) but I'm thinking of CC resale if I don't see an amazing Poly 2.0 deal like the VGF summer promotion in the next few years.

IDK how you guys swing the dues on so many points! My hat's off to you. That does become a factor for us when thinking about retirement/fixed incomes later in life.

So, hoping to add on another 150-300 Poly 2.0/CC resale in the next few years, but then we really will be done. We're at double braces this year and then double teen car insurance a few years after that, so our DVC dream points may just end up being that, a dream! LOL.

I bought 250 points at CCV December 2021 and have not yet added on. Might add the cabins depending on the cost and points chart.

Last edited:
When we bought in 2017, we started with a resale contract. While we were waiting for DVC to make our account we purchased a direct contract for 25 points for benefits. We now have 550 points. Added on 3 more times.

I know the chart doesn't make it clear, but it was all 2019!

We had actually committed to buy more pretty early in 2019 and if it had been a normal travel year and if contracts were easy to find it might have looked more like 2023 rather than the staircase effect in 2019. But we did 'bonus' trips to attend SWGE opening on both coasts and it took some time to find the right contracts.

We started with a small Riviera opening week direct add-on, then balked at Poly direct sold-out pricing when we compared to resale ($100/pt difference!) and found a great Poly add-on pretty quickly, then the next two were goldilocks VGC contracts that took more time time find (and in one case, close).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter