How off-menu/ethnic can you order in the MDR?

My son has real (anaphylaxis-risk) food allergies. We have noticed a decrease in the level of service and attention to his allergy needs since we started cruising in 2005, particularly on the larger ships. We have to be more diligent in requesting/checking every item, they want to bring him gluten free everything (that's not his food allergy so no idea why this happens), and during one cruise his meal was regularly served 45 minutes after everyone else's at the table. I assumed it was because the quantity of passengers with allergies was increasing, and I do sympathize with the staff on what must be a real challenge to manage with so many guests. However, I'd hate to think it's because people think it's "fun" to request off-menu dinners. Someone even suggested emailing special services to request special fun foods in advance? Um, please don't.

Last edited:
No, in my first post i said how we had been speaking with our server about his homeland, must have mentioned something about the cuisine, and two nights later he surprised us with it and the night after as well.

Being surprised is definitely not the same as asking for it and you shouldn't have to defend it. I don't believe in asking for anything special be made for me on a cruise or elsewhere but the surprises are always nice.

I think we as passengers as a whole have to think of others and how our "fun" requests affect others like the kitchen staff, other guest tables being slowed down , the pressure it puts on the servers etc.

Being surprised is definitely not the same as asking for it and you shouldn't have to defend it. I don't believe in asking for anything special be made for me on a cruise or elsewhere but the surprises are always nice.

I think we as passengers as a whole have to think of others and how our "fun" requests affect others like the kitchen staff, other guest tables being slowed down , the pressure it puts on the servers etc.

Exactly. And I said in my initial post, surprises are one thing and I have no issue with it.

People asking for special food just for fun or to see if they can get it can be an issue in service to other guests (I have to wonder if some of the decrease with allergy alertness is because they're being stretched so thin with "fun" off-menu requests - they can only do so much and keep so much in mind and while allergies should 100% take precedence, the pressure for "excellent" ratings could well be making them focus on these "I thought it would be fun" requests). Which is why if requesting it for fun (or even "in the past we've gotten...can we get it again?") gets too out of hand, I could definitely see it going the way of dropping things off to be signed. No one thought that was a big deal either until everyone and their cousin read about it on the internet and started doing it and there weren't enough hours in the day to get it done for everyone.

The frog custard? Honestly, that was one I wasn't even willing to try. It was on a dessert table, in a small cup, and looked innocuous enough. But it was labeled "double boiled frog custard." This was in China, in a very Chinese, non-tourist hotel. We'd already had feet and heads in other parts of our meal on this buffet and I simply was unwilling to even attempt it. LOL Translation error? Actual frogs? I'll never know!

The frog custard? Honestly, that was one I wasn't even willing to try. It was on a dessert table, in a small cup, and looked innocuous enough. But it was labeled "double boiled frog custard." This was in China, in a very Chinese, non-tourist hotel. We'd already had feet and heads in other parts of our meal on this buffet and I simply was unwilling to even attempt it. LOL Translation error? Actual frogs? I'll never know!

It was probably hasma - the fatty tissue near the fallopian tubes of frogs. I've seen it at the Hong Kong-style dessert places in San Francisco.

Now are you glad you didn't try some? :laughing:

A friend of mine mentioned to her server that she is part Jamaican. The next night he served her jerked chicken! She was so touched by hid thoughtfulness!

Yes, I'm sure they will make their best efforts to accommodate, but I'm never quite sure why people ask for foods that aren't on the menu? Would you go to a restaurant in your town and ask for them to make you a special dinner different then what they are offering on the menu? I love Mexican food but wouldn't think to ask my server in the MDR if they could make me tacos or enchiladas. Or mmmmm I really feel like Italian so could you make lasagna for my dinner. Disney offers a wide variety of foods and places to eat on the cruise, imagine if more and more people started asking for a special dinner to be made for them. i like to be aware of others that might be cruising and my servers-do I need to have escargot every single night even if it means others won't be able to try it? Does my server (who is already overworked) have to ask the chefs (who work hard to procure food and assemble menus) to make something different because "it would be fun" and, " my parents would get a kick out of it". The simple is answer is no. And to those that will respond, well I'm paying for the cruise so I should have what I want, I say, think beyond yourself!
The sad thing. They really don't offer Italian on the MDR menus.

It was probably hasma - the fatty tissue near the fallopian tubes of frogs. I've seen it at the Hong Kong-style dessert places in San Francisco.

Now are you glad you didn't try some? :laughing:

Well, that at least explains the name! And, nope, still glad I didn't touch that one. I'll eat a lot of foods, but dessert frog custard is a no go. :)

A very large family next to us on the Dream kept kosher. It was AMAZING how well the crew accommodated them. I was extremely impressed.

I agree that people shouldn't go in expecting to order off menu cultural dishes. It strains the serving teams and the kitchens. However, for those who either ask for, or are pixie dusted a non-dietary restricted meal, I hope that tips are provided commensurate with the level of effort for providing service outside of what is expected as part of your experience onboard.

A very large family next to us on the Dream kept kosher. It was AMAZING how well the crew accommodated them. I was extremely impressed.

That is something you are asked to inform the cruiseline of well in advance of your cruise. So it should have been a known factor.

The Magic this April had a few delicious choices of Indian food on the lunch buffet - hopefully they will continue to do this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter