How much more can Disney cut the DDP?? I won't do it again....

Blessed_wth_Triplets

DIS Veteran
Just back and the ddp is just NOT what it used to be. For those who always complained that is was too much food...well it certainly isn't anymore! It seems there are no good deals or hidden gems in the dining plan anymore. Just a few things I noticed that changed from a couple years ago...

-no more ice cream cookie sandwich at Main Street Bakery for a snack credit

-no more milk shakes with the kids meals at Sci Fi

-Kids lunch at Le Cellier was a joke...my kids ordered the pizza...and it was a thin, small pizza brought out on a mickey head plate with Nothing in either ear! I thought it was a mistake and asked shouldn't fruit/veggies/something be in the ears?? She said no?? Um...okay.

-No more juice and water for breakfast

- No more make your own creation at Goofy's candy Shop

- No more bottled water at Earl's...have to get a fountain drink and can choose either chips or desert..not both...

Bascially...it really isn't a whole lot of food anymore...and I just don't see the worth.

I didn't see the worth from the beginning. I wish instead of cutting back what's available, they would just cut that darn DDP completely!!!

I don't find the DDP worth it unless I can get it for free. Free being a relative term, since it does require rack rate for the rooms, but that is the only way the dining plans are a good deal IMO.

We're going with grandkids in December, ages 3,4 & 6 and decided it's worth it with them. Otherwise we use TIW.

-no more ice cream cookie sandwich at Main Street Bakery for a snack credit

-No more juice and water for breakfast

We were just there in August and were able to get the ice cream cookie sandwich at MSB for a snack credit. In fact, we did it more than once. Maybe we were just lucky or the person you encountered made a mistake?

As for the juice and water - are you talking about a TS restaurant or CS? We had no problems at any of the TS restaurants.

We're going with grandkids in December, ages 3,4 & 6 and decided it's worth it with them. Otherwise we use TIW.

I agree. Think it is worth it with young children especially if you are doing a lot of the buffets. Otherwise it isn't worth it so much any more.

The first time that DH and I had free dining it was great. So good that we had decided that we would pay for it on our next trip. However, the next year they eliminated the tip and the appetizer so we agreed then that we would never pay for it. That said, we are happy to take it when it's free. In Sept. we'll get FD again but this time we'll be on the QSDP and will not pay to upgrade.

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

I just got back Saturday and I also got the ice cream cookie sandwich using a snack credit. My son is 12 and not on the childs dining plan, but we ate at the Sci Fi also and we both got shakes as our drinks, and our waitress gave us vanilla cokes also with no charge.

I had the free dining plan, so of course it's worth it!! I agree it's not as good as it used to be. Taking away the appetizer and included tip was a big disappointment.

My issue is with the kids meals! My kids are adventurous eaters and I felt awful with the choices in every single sit down restaurant. At buffets, they ate their full of regular food, but at the sit downs, they just didn't want the pasta, chicken tenders, hot dog, hamburgers, etc. They want smaller sized steaks, shrimp, crab legs, etc. I was really disappointed in this. I ended up a few times giving my meal to them to share and eating their meals :(

I get the DDP not really comparing the dollar for dollar but for the pre-paid aspect. I like to have that part of the budget taken care of. It's nice going to a restaurant and not having to worry about cost. We have a 40% pin code for WL for our 11/14 trip. We are paying for our dinning plan, and yes it is expensive. We just like that our dinning budget is already taken care of. I think that getting rid of the free dining would be a better choice rather getting rid of the entire plan. Free dining was offered for our time frame but our 40% pin was a better deal.

I get the DDP not really comparing the dollar for dollar but for the pre-paid aspect. I like to have that part of the budget taken care of. It's nice going to a restaurant and not having to worry about cost. We have a 40% pin code for WL for our 11/14 trip. We are paying for our dinning plan, and yes it is expensive. We just like that our dinning budget is already taken care of. I think that getting rid of the free dining would be a better choice rather getting rid of the entire plan. Free dining was offered for our time frame but our 40% pin was a better deal.

This is exactly why we always get the dining plan. We put all our budgeting worries to rest before the trip and try to just enjoy the moment while we are at WDW. We have had the Free Dining offer once and any other time we have paid for the dining plan for the convenience.

My issue is with the kids meals! My kids are adventurous eaters and I felt awful with the choices in every single sit down restaurant. At buffets, they ate their full of regular food, but at the sit downs, they just didn't want the pasta, chicken tenders, hot dog, hamburgers, etc. They want smaller sized steaks, shrimp, crab legs, etc. I was really disappointed in this. I ended up a few times giving my meal to them to share and eating their meals :(

I agree with this 100% ... my 2.5 yo daughter enjoys chicken nuggets, etc. occasionally, but she also likes things like curry shrimp and calamari, etc. ... and we usually just give her some of our food when we go out to eat

Also, we aren't huge eaters, so except for special dinners out we usually split an appetizer, etc.

I understand the pre-paid aspect being really nice and if the DDP works for some families then great, but it isn't ideal for us

I see a lot of people complaining about the dining plan. What is so bad about it? If you want it, buy it, if you do not, don't. If they offer it free, take it. I really don't think that it is a value if you have to pay for it. The thing that I do not understand is people are under some impression that if Disney dropped the dining plan that all of a sudden meal prices would go down. I say not a chance. When congress would not fund the that thing with the airports did the airlines lower their prices. When oil goes down do the gas companies lower gas prices. I am sure that when or if Disney drops the dining plan food prices will go up, not down.

Some of this above is not accurate based on our experience a few weeks ago.

-on 8/26 we got an ice cream cookie sandwich at Main Street Bakery for a snack credit

- We got 1 chocolate dipped pretzel stick with 1 topping for a snack credit at Goofy's candy shop.

- we got bottled water at Earl's.

no more milk shakes with the kids meals at Sci Fi - We got them at WCC

I see a lot of people complaining about the dining plan. What is so bad about it? If you want it, buy it, if you do not, don't. If they offer it free, take it. I really don't think that it is a value if you have to pay for it. The thing that I do not understand is people are under some impression that if Disney dropped the dining plan that all of a sudden meal prices would go down. I say not a chance. When congress would not fund the that thing with the airports did the airlines lower their prices. When oil goes down do the gas companies lower gas prices. I am sure that when or if Disney drops the dining plan food prices will go up, not down.

There are a lot of reports of some restaurants "dumbing down" their menus to a) appeal to a wider audience that typically wouldn't try that restaurant if it wasn't for the dining plan and b) b/c they get a fixed fee per meal they take off the more expensive options

So people who want to try "fancier" options feel like their choices are being limited due to the dining plan and their meals would be better (not necessarily cheaper) if the plan went away.

Others also suggest having the dining plan only cover some options on the menu (or require an extra up-charge for some items), allowing restaurants to keep some more expensive options for those willing to pay extra for them ... but I think the thought is that Disney doesn't want to segregate things/people

We have been to WDW 6 times since March 2008, all except one time did we get DDP. It was free for us 2 times, the other 3 we got good discounts on room and tickets so bought DDP. Everytime we loved it, the food was paid for, it was convenient, not much of a limit on items, good portions, etc. Last time we went to WDW (july/aug 2011) we paid oop for meals, we ate fine still had snacks and everything, but all agreed we rather the DDP. Before we left WDW they released the free DDP and it worked out to be over our next planned trip so we are happy to have DDP next trip. It is different for each indiv family. IMO it is not woth paying for for my family anymore since 2 oldest are considered adults and eat like kids, and youngest is now a kid and rather eat off my plate. So, no we wouldnt pay for it again, but if the "free DDP" works out to be a better deal for us, we will take it.

Some of this above is not accurate based on our experience a few weeks ago.

-on 8/26 we got an ice cream cookie sandwich at Main Street Bakery for a snack credit

- We got 1 chocolate dipped pretzel stick with 1 topping for a snack credit at Goofy's candy shop.

- we got bottled water at Earl's.

no more milk shakes with the kids meals at Sci Fi - We got them at WCC

I have to say that if this is true and there are widely varying experiences of what is included and what isn't on the plan, that is even worse than not including things .... not getting something you anticipate being able to get can really ruin an experience

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter