How much luggage can you really fit in a full size?

proud_canadian

DIS Veteran
We have booked a full size with budget (ford taurus or similar) and are wondering how much luggage you can really fit in it?

Could we fit two large suitcases, or should we try to fit everything into one?

We will also have some small backpacks/carry ons but those can fit on laps or at the kids' feet if necessary :)

I don't know about a Ford Taurus but we have rented two full size cars in the past year. First we had a Toyota Camry in which fit 2 big suitcases and two carry on size suitcases plus 4 backpacks and a computer case. We also had a Chevy Impala which fit 3 large suitcases plus 5 backpacks and a computer case.

I would suggest going to your rental car company's website and checking their information. They usually tell you how many passengers/size and luggage/size should fit in the vehicle.

Unfortunately, I don't believe they define the various sizes of cases. They just say "large" or "medium". :confused3

We rented a full size car from Budget in June. It was a Nissan Altiuma. We could have had a Mistubishi Galant or a Kia (I forgot which one).

Driving from the airport to AKL we had the montain buggy double stroller, a computer backpack, and a rolled carryon size suitcase. The larger suit case was in the back seat along with the empty large duffle that had the booster seats in it.
The the return trip we had all the suit cases in the trunk with out a problem as well as another carryone suitcase tote. We had the stoller wedged in the backseat.

We rented a full size car from Budget in June. It was a Nissan Altiuma. We could have had a Mistubishi Galant or a Kia (I forgot which one).

Driving from the airport to AKL we had the montain buggy double stroller, a computer backpack, and a rolled carryon size suitcase. The larger suit case was in the back seat along with the empty large duffle that had the booster seats in it.
The the return trip we had all the suit cases in the trunk with out a problem as well as another carryone suitcase tote. We had the stoller wedged in the backseat.

Personally if i rented a full-size car and was offered either a Nissan Altima or Mitsubishi Galant i would have had a fit. These are not full-sized cars, mid-size maybe, Budget is out of their minds.

There are three of us and with 4 regular pieces of luggage and a few carry ons we ALWAYS overflow to the back seat. ALWAYS. I definitely do not think the a full-size car is full-sized.

Personally if i rented a full-size car and was offered either a Nissan Altima or Mitsubishi Galant i would have had a fit. These are not full-sized cars, mid-size maybe, Budget is out of their minds.

Fit or not... that's a mid-size with most rental companies.

Rental car companies tend to size "down"

All throwing a fit would do is cause them to stare at you, it pays to understand YOUR car companies definitions PRIOR to booking. They won't "reclassify" based on your 'fit'.

I would consider packing a couple of smaller suitcases instead of one of the large cases. It will give you more options to arrange the luggage so it will fit in the trunk.

There are three of us and with 4 regular pieces of luggage and a few carry ons we ALWAYS overflow to the back seat. ALWAYS. I definitely do not think the a full-size car is full-sized.

A Chevrolet Impala would almost certainly hold all of that luggage; It's really a full sized car, with cavernous trunk to match. I put five suitcases back there last week, and a couple of them were 36" bags.

A Chevrolet Impala would almost certainly hold all of that luggage; It's really a full sized car, with cavernous trunk to match. I put five suitcases back there last week, and a couple of them were 36" bags.

I'm just tagging on to say that the August 2010 Consumer Reports tested the Impala and indicates the following:

"The large trunk holds five suitcases."

Fit or not... that's a mid-size with most rental companies.

Rental car companies tend to size "down"

All throwing a fit would do is cause them to stare at you, it pays to understand YOUR car companies definitions PRIOR to booking. They won't "reclassify" based on your 'fit'.

The PP said they got a Nissan Altima when they reserved a Full-size, not mid-size.

A Budget full-size quotes Ford Taurus or similar.

A Taurus is 203" long, 76" wide and has 102 cu ft passenger volume with a 20 cu ft trunk.
The Altima is 190" long, 70" wide and has 100 cu ft passenger volume with a 15 cu ft trunk.

That is not similar, (esp the trunk is 25% smaller) in my opinion, although Budget seems to think it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter