How much do you have in your jar so far?

Blue dear.

I haven't been this confused since Algebra II.
Awhile back I read a post from someone saying he never spends change and instead puts it all in a jar which he then cashes in before going to WDW. Sounded like a good idea so DH and I started doing this about a month ago for our upcoming Jan '02 trip.

We counted last night and we have about $57. Is this good for a month's worth of change? <b>How much is in <i>your</i> jar, how long have you been saving and when is your trip??? </b>

Just think!!

That's $57 less than you would have spent if you weren't saving!!
We took an empty Laundry detergent jug that we'd cleaned up and are using it.
Of course we don't think of opening it up except to put change in, and whenever it gets to the top, we'll break down and count it.

You're doing a great job though!!

Hi,

I usually save mine and exchange for dollar bills for kid's lunch money. But going to WDW in Feb so decided to save for trip. I have $170 since September. I roll it very frequently, so it's not such a big job. Was going to get Disney dollars, but afraid of losing them, so will get money order to pay credit card.

Happy saving!

Vivienne

I have always had a change jar, saved for twice a year dollhouse shows, this year (really only about 8 months worth) went to Disney. I also have a "laundry penguin", a really gaudy plaster penguin bank in the laundry...if it is found in the washer or dryer it goes to the penguin. When I cashed them both out last month the grand total was...$465.00 give or take. The Grandpap rolled all the change but the pennies, he gave up after a few dollars, and took $43.00 worth to a change machine! The only problem is now he cleans out his pockets before the pants go to the laundry :( he swears all the laundry penguin money was his and he isn't getting anything out of our Disney trip:p

Keep saving...this method has kept me really happy twice a year at the dollhouse shows:D :D :D

I have $150 after 1 and 1/2 months of saving. :D I only pay with paper money, NEVER give exact change so I can go home with lots of coins! I also put stray one dollar bills in the jar, i try to think of them as lonely, when there is just one anywhere and put them in with their friends in the change jar!:rolleyes: I stop at TDS as my last stop whenever I am in the mall and change whatever money I have left in my wallet into DD. I keep a DD envelope in the change jar and put all the DD (and their receipts) in that envelope. Most importantly NO ONE ELSE IN THE FAMILY KNOWS ABOUT THE JAR! If they did they would secretly borrow from it constantly and I would never grow! LOL! ;)

Jennifer

I work as a waitress and save all my change...Some nights good, some not. Save all my change from the grocery store etc. too!
I have a separte saving acct. for just Disney! It's a passbook account and I put Mickey stickers all over it..(The gals at the bank must think I'm nuts!) and I separate my change into 4 different jugs @ home. When they start to get heavy I sit down at the kitchen table with some newspapers and roll, and roll and roll. What a filthy job! That's my Mickey Money!
Just rolled another 125.00 in Quarters, dimes and nickels...The pennies are going to the coin machine, I just can't do that!:eek:

I have been saving change for about two months. One jar is for pennies and the other is for nickles, dimes and quarters. The penny jar has over $50 and the silver jar I havent counted yet. I wont count that jar until the beginning of April right before our first trip to WDW. I cant wait. Hoping for spring. :) :) :)

I'm curious. A couple of you have mentioned that you roll your coins. Why not just take the jar to the bank and let the tellers dump it in the counting machine?

And to those of you that have $150 or more that you've saved in less than two months - I SALUTE YOU! Ironically, about 15 of our 57 are dollar bills! So I guess we're not doing as good as I thought we were! :(

I save PER trip so since my next is my fourth trip this year... three to Orlando, one to Dollywood, we've emptied it out quite a bit.

I counted it Tuesday and I have about $30 in it. The last three times there was over $50. I still have 8 weeks to go and I think it'll be about the same at the last three. It is an incredibly easy way to save! :D

I don't take my change to the bank 'cuz they won't count it for you. Plus, I've heard one too many stories of people being shorted on change they brought to the bank.

I also won't do CoinStar, 'cuz I refuse to part with any of my hard-earned change.

Most of all, I *like* rolling my change! :D It's very satisfying! I roll it about once a month, deposit it in my checking account, and then transfer it to my ING savings account which pays 4% interest. That interest just gives me more free change every month! :D

Blue, dear.

You are doing a great job. I also put my change in a jug and after a couple of months i roll it up and take it to the bank. I also have a pass book account just for disney and i love watching it grow. My boyfriend and i have a budget on our excel program and it is fun watching that grow and seeing everything coming to place. I can answer the question about the change machine. I dn't know if everyone agree's with me but i enjoy rolling it all up and brining it to the bank.

Originally posted by Raggedy
I dn't know if everyone agree's with me but i enjoy rolling it all up and brining it to the bank. [/B]

Oh I dunno... I like the sound that machine makes when it's chugging it all in. heh

Though I've never heard of anyone being short-CHANGED (ha!) at the bank before. I'll be sure to count it all before I take it in! :(

We just started our "Coffee Can Savings", as our
trip is not until June 2002. We have it about half
filled right now, its the large 2lb can. I'm hoping to have several filled by the time we go. I get
all change or bills left in pants, so its been adding up.

We don't roll our coins though, we take them to the grocery store and cash them in. Our stores here in Houston have COINSTAR machines, you pour the change in and it issues a receipt to cash in at the customer svc desk. I don't think I could handle
rolling all those coins.

Good luck to all !!!!

We have round metal canisters for flour, sugar, coffee, and tea. We don't drink tea, so that is our change jar. Since all of the banks started charging to count change we really haven't use it until 3 months ago when Grandma decided to pay for a family reunion in WDW next week. I counted it yestereday and took it to work to cash it in. We have $56. Unfortunately for us, but fortunately for my relatives, that will probably go towards our CP lunch next Friday. In the last week, money has become an issue and $17 for lunch is more than most can afford. This will atleast help out. ;)

In January when DH and I planned our Christmas Week trip we decided that each week whatever spending money was left over we would put directly into a savings account to help pay for the trip. We finally took the savings book out last week because we had to pay for the room in full and we could not believe that we had put $3200.00 in that account in 9 months. We both looked at each other and said look what you can save if you just give up a few things here and there.

Wow, what a neat thread!! We have been saving since early September, putting the
money in a milk gallon jug. I went to move the jug to the other counter and could hardly
pick it up. I took it to the bank and the teller groaned when she picked it up! Why?-
because there was $260.78!! My husband and I betted the night before how much money would be in there: he said $135 and I said $168- boy were we both off! I have about 45 days left til our trip- so hopefully we will accumulate some more!

I love taking a quiet aftrenoon to count and roll change! Though I must admit since my son started school in sept I have a lot LESS change all of it goes to lunchmoney and milkmoney and snack money.........

Does anyone know if I cash in my change and get Disney Dollars,
will all the resort and park restaurants accept them for meals??

I was hoping to save all this change for my Character meals.

Thanks,
Cheryl

Hi

Very good question. My mother and my boyfriends mother has asked us what we wnated for christmas and i have told them Disney Dollars. I wanted them for the same reason you want them for is for dining. I figured one less expense for me.

We havea plastic bank that looks like a baby bottle, but its about 3 ft high and about the circumference of a large coffee can....
My wife obviously never collected change before, because she told our 2 y/o (who loves to put change in the bank) "when we fill it up we'll take you to the store to buy something"!!!
I laughed and told her when we fill it up we could take them both to disney for a week, I'm no expert on money, but I know we have well over 50 bucks in it and it is only a couple of inches deep. I wonder how much it would hold. Now you guys are making me want to go home and count it.

Also its good to keep some change around the house if I need to keep my 2 y/o entertained for a few min. I just tell him to go put it in his bank, and he does... One coin at a time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter