How long does the spinning last on Mission: SPACE?

Any idea how many G's the orange side is? We have a G-Force Accelerator ride here at the Space Center which I have done many times, though it's been awhile and it pulls 3G's and had no issues with it. I have done the green side 9 years ago, wonder if I should try orange. Hmmm...

In multiple rides on the Orange side of MS since it opened I've yet to actually experience 'spinning'. I realize that centrifugal force is how the feeling of increased gravity is created and that spinning is the mechanism to generate that but all I ever feel is the sensation of gravity, not the rotation.

Bill From PA

Mission Space doesn't affect me at all. I love all thrill rides and have done those spinning rides at carnivals where you're either up against the wall or laying on a bench thing that slides "up" from the G-forces. That's what Mission Space is like, the spinning is to simulate liftoff & landing. Sadly I think the only way to find out is to ride it! As you can see from this thread, lots of people who haven't experienced motion sickness before can't handle it, whereas some people it doesn't affect at all. I will say that since the refurb the "feeling" of spinning seems less intense than it used to be. I was sad haha, but maybe they made it a bit smoother so people don't notice it as much?

As mentioned, just make sure keep you head back, and do not close your eyes. Your brain is taking information from what your eyes see on the screen and 'syncing' it with balance/movement info from your inner-ear. Look left or right (or close your eyes) during the more intense scenes and it may feel like you were yanked into a whirlpool ... basically your eyes and balance centers are getting conflicting messages.

This is why some folks who are OK on other spinning rides still have issues on simulators like MS ... If you're prone to fluid in your ears, sick, maybe just an off day? the inner ear / eye coordination can get to you.

Any idea how many G's the orange side is? We have a G-Force Accelerator ride here at the Space Center which I have done many times, though it's been awhile and it pulls 3G's and had no issues with it. I have done the green side 9 years ago, wonder if I should try orange. Hmmm...
They claimed 3Gs when it opened but they've (supposedly) toned it down since then. It's not more intense than rides I've done at various space centers, so you'll be fine!

Mission space is about 2.5 G's. It's not really the number that gets people but the duration of it. It's about 2.5 G's for roughly 15 seconds.

Rockin Rollercoaster has been tested to pull 4.5 G's on its takeoff, and Space Mountain gets about 3.5 G's.

Test track and mission space are said to both have the same amount of G forces at 2.5.. Just different lengths of it

i ride orange every time i go (ive only ridden green once) and before Flight of Passage, this was my favorite ride on property. I have never felt the spinning, not even once, however i have a very high tolerance for thrill rides, so take that into consideration!

From everything I've read on these forums over the years, it seems like many more people would enjoy the ride if the capsule weren't so small and enclosed. Maybe that would defeat the mechanics of it, though.

I never perceived the spinning-- just immense pressure on my chest, and an urge to inhale deeply that couldn't be fully sated until the ride ended. I feel a little "off" afterward but not nauseated. I stare straight ahead and don't close my eyes as instructed. For reference, I have no problems on roller coasters but am prone to being carsick at times.

I CANNOT handle spinning...no teacups can't even handle Astro Orbitor but I have ridden MS orange many times. I keep my eyes open facing the screen (I try not to even blink lol) and I never turn my head. I have never gotten sick or felt bad. A lot of the problems with motion rides is being unable to focus on a stationary object which MS provides via the screen. By the way I did manage to ride this before it was tamed down and I still didn't feel sick.

My 17 year old son is a space camp kid who goes almost every summer. He said he feels the space camp g force ride is more intense because you can see it moving. While the Mission Space goes faster you don’t feel it as much because of the movie. Does that make sense?

I really appreciate everyone's tips and anecdotes! I'm excited (okay, still a little nervous) to give MSO a try!!

Have you ever been on the carnival ride Gravitron? Mission Space is a giant one of those. You don't feel spinning per se. You feel pressure pushing you back and down into your seat. You feel like you are getting heavier. The ride spins the whole time. It speeds up to increase the G forces and slows down to give you the weightless floaty feeling. The capsule tips backwards and forwards to create different sensations on different parts of the ride.

Rode it shortly after it opened. NEVER SINCE OR AGAIN NOR WILL I. Only attraction I have ever been on that handed out barf bags (at that time) at the end. A free FP I should have declined, was sick for the better part of 2 days.

Last edited:
We happened to be leaving Test Track last summer because it was down when a cast member was announcing a soft open for Mission Space. We walked over and got our card for the Orange side. We were really worried about motion sickness even though none of us suffer from it but seriously, they have so many warnings right up until you get on the ride that all of us were nervous. Needless to say, none of us got sick, the spinning wasn't an issue BUT the claustrophobia was! Wow! Once they shut you in that small compartment! Yikes! I had to talk myself down from a panic attack. :crazy:

I really wished there was leaked video of the actual ride movement online. I've always been curious just how fast you spin at different times of the ride.

Ugh, just thinking about this ride makes me shudder! The last time I rode it (Nov. 2017), the ride broke down near the end for a good 15 minutes and we were stuck in the little pods with no way out, staring at a blank screen. When they finally resolved the issue, instead of letting us out, they had to reboot the whole system and we had to ride again starting from the beginning - never again!!! I was practically in tears when I could finally get off.

I looooove rollercoasters, have no issue with FoP (other than not being able to get more FP+ for it!), and once rode Star tours back to back around 10 times (low crowds), but I just can’t do this ride any more. I think it’s more an issue of feeling claustrophobic as others have mentioned, and then I get a little paranoid about staying fixated on the screen and not blinking (hard to do with the fan blowing in your eyes!) I don’t feel the spinning but you can feel your guts all getting sucked in/pushed back, not a pleasant sensation.

I love thrill rides but I rode the orange side 12 years ago and never again! I didn't get nauseous but the g force made me feel like I had a herd of elephants sitting on my chest for about 30-45 seconds and I couldn't breathe. Once that passed, I was fine but never again and have stuck to the green side. On our last trip at Christmas, the new green side was so disappointing. So i guess now Mission Space is off our ride list permanently.

My 17 year old son is a space camp kid who goes almost every summer. He said he feels the space camp g force ride is more intense because you can see it moving. While the Mission Space goes faster you don’t feel it as much because of the movie. Does that make sense?

Awesome, I think we may give it a try. The g-force has never bothered me, so I think I would be ok :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter