How is the DAS working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll have to disagree the GAC was never a FOTL pass for our family. It was an FP, plain and simple. It allowed my DH which has issues with crowded lines an opportunity to wait in the FP line which was less crowded and faster moving. In all of the years using the GAC we never got immediate access to a ride. I'm not concerned with the DAS about waiting our turn, I am concerned about my DH being in a crowded area which he cannot exit and return if needed.

It was actually a FOTL pass at DLR. However, having an unlimited FP with GAC is still a significant difference than the one at a time approach of the DAS. And DAS users can still use FP. The fact that many say that still isn't good enough does give the impression that they want more than to bypass crowded lines but are otherwise willing to wait.

I'll have to disagree the GAC was never a FOTL pass for our family. It was an FP, plain and simple. It allowed my DH which has issues with crowded lines an opportunity to wait in the FP line which was less crowded and faster moving. In all of the years using the GAC we never got immediate access to a ride. I'm not concerned with the DAS about waiting our turn, I am concerned about my DH being in a crowded area which he cannot exit and return if needed.

Ok I"m confused then.

What is the difference between then and now? you still get into the FP line just like before, or am I wrong?

With the DAS you come back at your time and get into the FP line as far as I understand it -or am I wrong? , so how is it different?

Ok I"m confused then.

What is the difference between then and now? you still get into the FP line just like before, or am I wrong?

With the DAS you come back at your time and get into the FP line as far as I understand it -or am I wrong? , so how is it different?

Reports coming in now suggest that since the initiation of FP+ that the FP lines are much longer and more crowded than before.

Ok I"m confused then.

You are correct, the GAC allowed you to enter the FP line immediately, the DAS has you obtain a return time to come back to the FP+ line (the same line as before or a new line for things that didn't have FP).

The OPs concern is that the FP+ lines are being reported as being much longer than the line previously was as a FP line. The reason would be that many more guests are utilizing the FP+ system and attendance seems to be on the rise.

We found last month that most FP+ lines were still the same as they were on previous trips except for a handful of attractions. These same attractions had long FP return lines last May when there was no FP+.

Reports coming in now suggest that since the initiation of FP+ that the FP lines are much longer and more crowded than before.

Isn't it possible that FP+ lines average longer now because of FP return enforcement? We're people hoarding their FPs to use at the end of the day before enforcement, making the return lines seem shorter throughout the day. It may be that the combination of enforcement and the frustration with only being able to have 1 DAS return time is giving people the perception that it's FP+ alone that's causing the increase.

I think with any system in place, there will be people who find a way to take advantage of it and DAS is no exception. My daughter competes against a girl who proudly told everyone that she got the DAS and so did her mother, because she has ADHD. They also proudly told everyone what they had to do/say to get it and took their chosen few party members along with them because, as they said, they were allowed to have up to 6. However, this girl had no problem competing all weekend at wdw and needed no special accommodations at Universal and whatever that place is with the slingshot.

But...people that I would readily give a "totally skip the line, you deserve it" pass are getting the 3rd degree from CMs who have no medical training or being told they have to use a wheelchair. If they do get the DAS then they have to explain their situation at each and every attraction. One person I know was refused any accommodation at all -- they were waiting for surgery on a dislocated knee cap and while they could walk, they couldn't step up or down. No DAS, so no special accommodation -- so no perpetually loading rides like HM, no getting into boats etc.

Giving somebody a return time to come back later doesn't necessarily help many people. It takes longer for many people to get around the parks, and there are few things they can do in that amount of time. I guess I'm not very selfish, because I have no problem with giving some people some extra magic if their every day lives are that much harder than mine. Nobody with a GAC ever kept me from getting on a ride, and if they were ahead of me it only made my wait, at most, 2 minutes longer. No big deal for me. :confused3

And yup, FP+ lines are long now just because FP+ lines are long now.

But...people that I would readily give a "totally skip the line, you deserve it" pass are getting the 3rd degree from CMs who have no medical training or being told they have to use a wheelchair. If they do get the DAS then they have to explain their situation at each and every attraction. One person I know was refused any accommodation at all -- they were waiting for surgery on a dislocated knee cap and while they could walk, they couldn't step up or down. No DAS, so no special accommodation -- so no perpetually loading rides like HM, no getting into boats etc.

How would having a DAS help someone who can't get into a boat because of an injury? If they can't get in from the standby queue, how does loading from the FP queue change that?

One thing that GAC users and now DAS users routinely say is that they only need it for certain rides. How else are CMs supposed to determine if their attraction is one of the ones for which a guest needs an accommodation but to ask what accommodations they need?

And that's nice that you've determined who deserves a FOTL pass, but you do understand that Disney only has to provide the access people need to get on a ride or into a show, not to give preferred treatment to people who deserve it or who could access the standby queue but just want a faster way.

How would having a DAS help someone who can't get into a boat because of an injury? If they can't get in from the standby queue, how does loading from the FP queue change that?

One thing that GAC users and now DAS users routinely say is that they only need it for certain rides. How else are CMs supposed to determine if their attraction is one of the ones for which a guest needs an accommodation but to ask what accommodations they need?

And that's nice that you've determined who deserves a FOTL pass, but you do understand that Disney only has to provide the access people need to get on a ride or into a show, not to give preferred treatment to people who deserve it or who could access the standby queue but just want a faster way.

She was told that since she didn't qualify for the DAS she couldn't ask for any kind of accommodation at any of the attractions. They wouldn't even give her more time to get on the ride. She would have only needed it for certain rides too -- but she didn't get to do them at all because she was refused.

And I guess you just didn't understand the rest of my post.

She was told that since she didn't qualify for the DAS she couldn't ask for any kind of accommodation at any of the attractions. They wouldn't even give her more time to get on the ride. She would have only needed it for certain rides too -- but she didn't get to do them at all because she was refused.

And I guess you just didn't understand the rest of my post.

And did she try at the attraction?

When she got to HM for example did she go up to the CM and say I have great difficult keeping my balance because of my disability , would you please ask them to slow or stop the moving sidewalk when I need to get on? (I'm just making up an example)

And after asking did they say no at the attraction?

If you only need something at specific rides I don't understand why you would need a DAS. You don't need to wait somewhere else you only need help at specific things.

You just need to ask for help, as my DH always tells me They aren't mind readers you have to tell people what you need.

I have a hard time believing all the CM's at all the rides she asked refused her.

... One person I know was refused any accommodation at all -- they were waiting for surgery on a dislocated knee cap and while they could walk, they couldn't step up or down. No DAS, so no special accommodation -- so no perpetually loading rides like HM, no getting into boats etc. ...

She was told that since she didn't qualify for the DAS she couldn't ask for any kind of accommodation at any of the attractions. They wouldn't even give her more time to get on the ride. She would have only needed it for certain rides too -- but she didn't get to do them at all because she was refused. ...

Unfortunately, either your friend misunderstood or was sadly misinformed. While she was refused a DAS, which only pertains to the actual waiting in queues, it should have been explained to her that she could ask at each ride for moving walkways be slowed or stopped. That is possible at all but 2 rides at MK. No, it is not considered "special accommodation" but it is available for the asking at each ride. As a note, CMs cannot offer her any physical (hands on) assistance to step up/down into a ride vehicle, another member of her party would need to provide that if necessary.

And did she try at the attraction?

When she got to HM for example did she go up to the CM and say I have great difficult keeping my balance because of my disability , would you please ask them to slow or stop the moving sidewalk when I need to get on? (I'm just making up an example)

And after asking did they say no at the attraction?

If you only need something at specific rides I don't understand why you would need a DAS. You don't need to wait somewhere else you only need help at specific things.

You just need to ask for help, as my DH always tells me They aren't mind readers you have to tell people what you need.

I have a hard time believing all the CM's at all the rides she asked refused her.

Good example, because that is her favourite ride. And yes, she asked, and yes, they said no. Even though they specifically told her at GS that they wouldn't be able to do that because she didn't qualify for the DAS. So after that why would she try at any other rides :confused3

And since she couldn't stand very long and a wheelchair wouldn't work because she couldn't bend or straighten her knee completely yet, she actually didn't use all of her park days -- it just wasn't worth it. Shame if they could have actually accommodated her -- she was pretty awesome at hopping. She was in good shape until the day her knee cap moved to the side of her leg (a picture I may never get out of my head).

But having said all that, it was just after the change from GAC to DAS so maybe it just wasn't handled as well :confused3 I'm going to go with "sadly misinformed". I was there and they were pretty adamant about it.

Abuse potential aside (not saying you were trying to abuse it), I personally don't find it reasonable to expect that accommodations should be granted without explaining why they are needed.

I do believe though that the DAS provides far less incentive for abuse than did the GAC, which is a good thing, IMO.
Explaining a "situation" in front of everyone within earshot, can be quite embarrassing. Especially, if you have an insensitive CM.

If wait time is the issue, and the FP return line seems long, then why not go through the regular queue? .

If you can maneuver a regular line, there's no need for a DAS.

Good example, because that is her favourite ride. And yes, she asked, and yes, they said no. Even though they specifically told her at GS that they wouldn't be able to do that because she didn't qualify for the DAS. So after that why would she try at any other rides :confused3

And since she couldn't stand very long and a wheelchair wouldn't work because she couldn't bend or straighten her knee completely yet, she actually didn't use all of her park days -- it just wasn't worth it. Shame if they could have actually accommodated her -- she was pretty awesome at hopping. She was in good shape until the day her knee cap moved to the side of her leg (a picture I may never get out of my head).

But having said all that, it was just after the change from GAC to DAS so maybe it just wasn't handled as well :confused3 I'm going to go with "sadly misinformed". I was there and they were pretty adamant about it.

Then I'm very sorry for her! and that shouldn't have happened.
I'm thinking she just got a dud of a CM but it still shouldn't have happened.

It's to bad she didn't try again because I think she hopefully would ahve been helped.

As someone whose Knee dislocates, I'm doubly sorrry for her!! ouch.

HM is a very good example - they have a disproportionate number of rude, unhelpful CM's stationed there. I've had HM CM's literally turn and walk away from me while I was in the middle of telling them I needed the walkway slowed down. So I guess that doesn't TECHNICALLY count as saying, "no," since they didn't even stick around to hear the end of the question, let alone answer it.

I think they put all the CM's with personality problems and lousy attitudes back there, hoping they'll go unnoticed in all the spookiness.

HM is a very good example - they have a disproportionate number of rude, unhelpful CM's stationed there. I've had HM CM's literally turn and walk away from me while I was in the middle of telling them I needed the walkway slowed down. So I guess that doesn't TECHNICALLY count as saying, "no," since they didn't even stick around to hear the end of the question, let alone answer it.

I think they put all the CM's with personality problems and lousy attitudes back there, hoping they'll go unnoticed in all the spookiness.

I agree! We've had that happen several times to us too. My mom will be in her ECV, we try to tell them she can transfer, but must have the walkway stopped. Sometimes they just either roll their eyes and walk away or else they just walk away and act like they didn't even hear us. One trip last year, we got a very rude CM, who point blank said they were too busy that day and weren't stopping the walkway for anyone, and if she couldn't transfer using just the slowed walkway then she wouldn't be able to ride. He absolutely refused to stop it. We just had to leave.

Explaining a "situation" in front of everyone within earshot, can be quite embarrassing. Especially, if you have an insensitive CM.

But they have to know why someone needs the DAS, so there is no way to get around explaining needs. It just isn't reasonable, IMO, to expect accommodations without having to explain why you need them.

But they have to know why someone needs the DAS, so there is no way to get around explaining needs. It just isn't reasonable, IMO, to expect accommodations without having to explain why you need them.
Also, if you don't want anyone to hear, remember inside guest relations, they have an actual line marked off with ropes. The roped off area ends about 6 feet or more from the desk area and there is a sign at the end of the roped off area that says to wait there until called. From what I have seen, everyone pretty much abides by that.
So, there are few people close by when explaining the needs.

Some people have also written out their needs, explained they feel more comfortable with the CM reading it than talking about it. All the people who have posted about doing that had no problem with the CM reading it.

If you can maneuver a regular line, there's no need for a DAS.

It embarrassing to explain is a complaint I see often but it's really no different than when you had to explain why you needed a gac. To get a gac you had to explain to get a das you have to explain. The only difference is the gac usually got you right on to the ride via fp line or back door and with the das you have to wait.

It embarrassing to explain is a complaint I see often but it's really no different than when you had to explain why you needed a gac. To get a gac you had to explain to get a das you have to explain. The only difference is the gac usually got you right on to the ride via fp line or back door and with the das you have to wait.

I've asked this same question - I know that when we needed a GAC for a member of our party, we had to explain the needs. So what's the difference between explaining needs for the GAC and explaining needs for the DAS?

***edited to add: I understand the difference when it comes to not having a DAS for something that used to a warrant a GAC, and having to explain at the attractions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter