How early to leave for LAX?

amydew51

Earning My Ears
We have a 7:20 am domestic flight out of LAX. I’m going to reserve an Uber. It’s a Saturday morning and we are staying at the courtyard Marriott themepark entrance.
Is 4:45 too later for a pickup? I feel like that should be fine

Are you checking bags ? LAX can really get backed up and depending on the airline you could be at one of the "remote" terminals which requires taking a shuttle to even get to your terminal.

With zero traffic it takes about 45 minutes to an hour.
I'd really go no later than 4:15am personally.
Also keep in mind reserving an uber is NOT a guarantee. The system will just ping for drivers and there is always a possibility someone will not take the ride.

I prefer to arrange a taxi or towncar service if going that route.

We are in Terminal 1. We are checking bags.
I have a read a lot of shuttle reviews and they are terrible. How do I prebook a taxi? LB limousines has good reviews and they can do a black SUV (there are 5 of us) but it’s 315 dollars just for one way!

I would do 4:30 and prebook an uber or lyft (from the app). Arriving at LAX at 5:30a and that gives you roughly 2 hours to check luggage and get through security.

Have both the Uber and Lyft app, see which one will be at hotel the fastest and/or cheapest.

Our rule is 3 hours before for LAX so I would do 4:20, but 4:30 should be ok.

We always use Uber/Lyft and haven't had a problem getting one early mornings in Anaheim.

We have a 7:20 am domestic flight out of LAX. I’m going to reserve an Uber. It’s a Saturday morning and we are staying at the courtyard Marriott themepark entrance.
Is 4:45 too later for a pickup? I feel like that should be fine

That is way too late.

First of all, don't count on reserving an Uber that early. Most drivers will bail on you the morning of. Reserve a cab the day before or get a reliable car service. My husband has been burned several times by Uber reservations for early morning runs to SNA. Drivers here are flaky when it comes to that, especially on weekends.

Your 7:20 flight will require bags to be checked by 6:20, with a boarding time around 6:50. If you don't have PreCheck, estimate 30 minutes for security checkpoint. Estimate 30-60 minutes for bag check. You will want to arrive at the airport by 5am. Give yourself 90 minutes to get there.

Leave your hotel at 4am at the absolute latest. I would never personally book such an early flight out of LAX unless I was staying at an airport hotel nearby the night before.

We are in Terminal 1. We are checking bags.
I have a read a lot of shuttle reviews and they are terrible. How do I prebook a taxi? LB limousines has good reviews and they can do a black SUV (there are 5 of us) but it’s 315 dollars just for one way!

Many taxis ( I use google) will set up one if you call. Honestly I avoid LAX unless I have a rental car due to the excessive prices of transporatation since my work government discount is usually less for a few day rental than one way transport. I would look into SNA or LGB airports if you can change , if not you're probably still looking at uber one way around $100 - $120 just fyi.

Lansky car service is well liked on these boards and I've had good service with Karmel shuttle but it was several years back.

That is way too late.

First of all, don't count on reserving an Uber that early. Most drivers will bail on you the morning of. Reserve a cab the day before or get a reliable car service. My husband has been burned several times by Uber reservations for early morning runs to SNA. Drivers here are flaky when it comes to that, especially on weekends.
THIS THIS AND THIS !! My husband used to drive for uber part time and his customers in the SF bay area scheduling airport rides would be flaked on about and he would have to get them there instead.
Your 7:20 flight will require bags to be checked by 6:20, with a boarding time around 6:50. If you don't have PreCheck, estimate 30 minutes for security checkpoint. Estimate 30-60 minutes for bag check. You will want to arrive at the airport by 5am. Give yourself 90 minutes to get there.

Leave your hotel at 4am at the absolute latest. I would never personally book such an early flight out of LAX unless I was staying at an airport hotel nearby the night before.
Again reiterating this. LAX isn't the worst to fly into , but flying out of or making a close timed connection is a hard pass for me. Rates are getting insane from the Anaheim area and if it's a busy weekend like after Dapper Days , surge pricing could hit upwards of $200 one way , I've seen it recently. LA traffic and commute is no joke and with gas prices skyrocketing still here versus across the nation , it might still be less expensive to change flights to SNA or LGB if it is an option.

Many taxis ( I use google) will set up one if you call. Honestly I avoid LAX unless I have a rental car due to the excessive prices of transporatation since my work government discount is usually less for a few day rental than one way transport. I would look into SNA or LGB airports if you can change , if not you're probably still looking at uber one way around $100 - $120 just fyi.

Lansky car service is well liked on these boards and I've had good service with Karmel shuttle but it was several years back.
There is no way I am changing. We got completely free direct flights with Southwest. Flying out of SNA cost over 1600 dollars and included a layover

I looked at Karmel but google reviews are pretty bad. I will look at Lansky

There is no way I am changing. We got completely free direct flights with Southwest. Flying out of SNA cost over 1600 dollars and included a layover

Just book a yellow cab. You can reserve them online.

Oh wow that is massive so that's reasonable not to change.

It's always worth to check all possibilities usually and you'll find most Disneyland regulars will recommend SNA/LGB due to how much closer they are and smaller , however it doesn't always work out depending on your origin airport of course. Lately I have noticed that many travelers ( espcially from out of state) are shocked how much uber/lyft can be one way from Anaheim to LAX or how far it really is. I do agree allow 90 minutes to get to the airport however. This isn't really inflated it's just that traffic starts early even on weekends and one accident can snarl things for miles and multiple freeways.

Also one last note if ordering uber , make sure to get one large enough for your luggae and party. I go solo usually so a Honda Fit works for me but would not be good for families for example and have seen delays where there are no uber xl available due to surge requests and missing the flight would be worse than any higher cost as you mentioned.

Are you leaving this weekend or just looking ahead ? Certain weeks may be much busier too and Lansky has been booking out faster and faster these days with rising gas and ride share prices.

If you are flying Southwest, be ready for a LONG line to drop off your bags at LAX.

I just called Lansky and they don’t have enough drivers so won’t do pickups before 6 am.
We leave this Sat and return the next

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter