How does using a USA TA work out?

Sundancer UK

DIS Veteran
Hiya,

I’ve done WDW twice, 14 days each time and planned super well, had great times.

This time I have more people, more complications and less time to plan. I’ve seen excellent reviews about a few USA based travel agents but never needed them before.

This time I’d like to use a TA but wondered if it’s even possible to use an American company when I’m in the U.K. - but then I saw it in a thread on this forum so thought I’d ask.

I really need some help this time!

I am from Ireland and I have booked a Disney Cruise with Dreams Unlimited.

Dreams have an online payment site and I have used my Irish credit card to pay off my cruise with no issues.

You pay in US dollars, which goes direct to Disney. Dreams Unlimited does not not hold the money. You will get a email from Dreams when a payment has gone trough. You will have a login page on Dreams Unlimited website, as well as your Disney account.

If I was planning a WDW holiday, I would book the hotel with Dreams and book the UK ticket offer separate.

Dreams Unlimited can not book the UK special offer tickets, but they can get the hotel offers.

I am from Ireland and I have booked a Disney Cruise with Dreams Unlimited.

Dreams have an online payment site and I have used my Irish credit card to pay off my cruise with no issues.

You pay in US dollars, which goes direct to Disney. Dreams Unlimited does not not hold the money. You will get a email from Dreams when a payment has gone trough. You will have a login page on Dreams Unlimited website, as well as your Disney account.

If I was planning a WDW holiday, I would book the hotel with Dreams and book the UK ticket offer separate.

Dreams Unlimited can not book the UK special offer tickets, but they can get the hotel offers.
I'm not sure that Dreams can get some of the special deals that we get as Brits, like the dining credits offer for hotel stays. I have used Attraction Tickets to book my stay this trip, which has worked really well (had to postpone the trip twice, and they were great sorting stuff out).

I'm not sure that Dreams can get some of the special deals that we get as Brits, like the dining credits offer for hotel stays. I have used Attraction Tickets to book my stay this trip, which has worked really well (had to postpone the trip twice, and they were great sorting stuff out).
correct
Any offers on The Walt Disney Travel Company, the UK / Irish 3rd party travel agency run by Disney can not be accessed by Dreams Unlimited. However they can apply USA offers for UK customers.

would the TA be able to organise things for me like ADRs, lightsaber workshop, etc?

We’re supposed to be going this December, which is reeeally short notice compared with what I had before and the amount I need to fit in (we had everything planned before for May 2020 🙄) and I am feeling a bit lost!

I use Smallworld Vacations. I have an AP and if any offers are released they will automatically try to apply them for me. I like the flexibility of being able to apply offers, change dates/resorts without penalty. The TA willingly spends hours on hold to WDW when the need arises.
As PPsaid, SWV don’t hold any funds, and I pay WDW directly through the TA. I use a virtual Revolut account to pay in USD.
Some TAs will book ADRs and experiences, although personally I have never used this facility.
Check prices, as without an AP, U.K. packages are often cheaper than US packages.

Personally, with the way the $ rate is at the moment I wouldn't book with an agent that I needed to pay in $.

The offers we get in the UK are usually pretty good too, in comparison.

Personally, with the way the $ rate is at the moment I wouldn't book with an agent that I needed to pay in $.

The offers we get in the UK are usually pretty good too, in comparison.
You only pay one night’s deposit and the balance on arrival at the resort. The benefit of Revolut is that you can change currency as and when you want to, and by exchanging a little, regularly, minimise, to an extent, market fluctuations.

You only pay one night’s deposit and the balance on arrival at the resort. The benefit of Revolut is that you can change currency as and when you want to, and by exchanging a little, regularly, minimise, to an extent, market fluctuations.
I never use Revolut, Starling all the way for me!

Thanks for the responses. As per the last reply from Plague, my priority is that I need things easier!
I'm not wealthy by any means, but also have five disabled children (ranging from 9 to adult) and a lot going on at the moment making it harder to organise.

It's starting to look like a TA might actually complicate things further though, so back to the drawing board with a big mug of tea for me!

but also have five disabled children (ranging from 9 to adult) and a lot going on at the moment making it harder to organise.
Sounds like you need a holiday :)

It's starting to look like a TA might actually complicate things further though, so back to the drawing board with a big mug of tea for me!
Lots of people here with lots of knowledge - just ask.

But ... maybe don't overthink it. I realise the constraints of some dependents needs, but if you don't set high expectations you probably don't need to plan a lot, because often it's the plans (to do all this stuff and have that 'perfect' holiday) that set expectations that it's then a struggle to meet in the reality of a crowded theme park.
Park passes are obviously a must have, but aside from those and maybe some ADRs you could just roll up at the parks and go with the flow. You can't miss a target you didn't set.

Sounds like you need a holiday :)

Lots of people here with lots of knowledge - just ask.

But ... maybe don't overthink it. I realise the constraints of some dependents needs, but if you don't set high expectations you probably don't need to plan a lot, because often it's the plans (to do all this stuff and have that 'perfect' holiday) that set expectations that it's then a struggle to meet in the reality of a crowded theme park.
Park passes are obviously a must have, but aside from those and maybe some ADRs you could just roll up at the parks and go with the flow. You can't miss a target you didn't set.
I echo the bit about over-planning. Last trip we had the DDP - and spent ages booking all the restaurants. Then we found we were tied into all those times, and found it so constraining when we actually got there. We missed a lot of the spontaneity that we like on holiday. It feels liberating this time to not be planning any on-site restaurants at all.

Booking the park passes is a pain in the **** though.

Yeah thanks. I’ve already cut one thing off, and that’s not only removed a stress but it’s also allowed more time for other things. I think that’s going to be the way to go this time!

I echo the bit about over-planning. Last trip we had the DDP - and spent ages booking all the restaurants. Then we found we were tied into all those times, and found it so constraining when we actually got there. We missed a lot of the spontaneity that we like on holiday. It feels liberating this time to not be planning any on-site restaurants at all.

Booking the park passes is a pain in the **** though.
We had that issue the second time we went (full DDP) compared with our first trip (QSDP). I did have ADRs set up for our last trip, need to re-work that now, and without dining credits…

Can I ask what the pain is with booking park passes?

Can I ask what the pain is with booking park passes?
I think for most people it's a pain to have to decide well in advance which parks are going to be which days, and then just the chore of doing it as Disney's interface is tedious.

On the other hand, when we had advance booking for fastpass it was similar as you needed to pick your park days and then book the passes. The difference then was you had a benefit at the end of the exercise ... whereas PP :confused3

Okay, I think I see.
I have a literal spreadsheet open from our cancelled trip and I'm trying to see what will still work, so I don't mind working out ahead of time where we're going - it's my standard!

I do need to work out how to book the park passes though. Will that be through the MDE app, or the web page?

Also, am I right in thinking you can park hop to anywhere (after 2pm?), so long as it's not full?

Okay, I think I see.
I have a literal spreadsheet open from our cancelled trip and I'm trying to see what will still work, so I don't mind working out ahead of time where we're going - it's my standard!

I do need to work out how to book the park passes though. Will that be through the MDE app, or the web page?

Also, am I right in thinking you can park hop to anywhere (after 2pm?), so long as it's not full?
Yes, but you still need to book one park first. I don't think you can just amble up to any park after 2pm and get in, without going to another park first. And often parks 'sell out' if you try it on the day.

I have a number of days where I am wanting to do some non-park stuff in the morning (water parks, Discovery Cove, shopping etc.), and then may pop to a park in the evening. At this stage I'm not sure what park I want to go to, but I am needing to select parks just in case they fill up.

Plus another scenario - say you have a park reserved for the morning, but you end up not going to that park in the end (say you decide to sleep in - you know, actually have some relaxation whilst on holiday!). But you fancy going somewhere different after 2pm. Well you still have to go to your original park you had reserved, before park hopping. Now, you may be able to cancel your original reservation, and book a new one for the park you want to go to, but it may not be available.

Yes, but you still need to book one park first. I don't think you can just amble up to any park after 2pm and get in, without going to another park first. And often parks 'sell out' if you try it on the day.

I have a number of days where I am wanting to do some non-park stuff in the morning (water parks, Discovery Cove, shopping etc.), and then may pop to a park in the evening. At this stage I'm not sure what park I want to go to, but I am needing to select parks just in case they fill up.

Plus another scenario - say you have a park reserved for the morning, but you end up not going to that park in the end (say you decide to sleep in - you know, actually have some relaxation whilst on holiday!). But you fancy going somewhere different after 2pm. Well you still have to go to your original park you had reserved, before park hopping. Now, you may be able to cancel your original reservation, and book a new one for the park you want to go to, but it may not be available.
Thanks, I see your points!
We tend to get more done in the morning, return to resort for a break and then take it easier in the afternoon/evening. So I'm hoping we're ok with this. My concern is making plans for the afternoon that don't play out if they fill up...

Two new questions, I hope it's ok to put them here rather than spam the board with new threads.

1, I am sure tipping is still huge in the states. I can't even remember the last time I handled cash because everything changed with Covid. I take it there's no non cash way to tip over there?

2, What do people do if they get a positive covid test at the last minute? Do Disney refund covid cancellations, or are we able to move dates?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter