How does Disney handle cancellations due to a Hurricane?

Moushe

Mouseketeer
Anyone know how Disney typically handles last minute resort cancellations due to a storm?

We are due to drive up on Friday morning from Miami, staying through Monday. I will most probably have to cancel our trip. If there's even a slight chance the storm will come in to Miami as an actual hurricane my husband will not be able to leave as he works in a hospital and will have to report to work once the hurricane warning is in effect.

Will they let us reschedule or cancel?

It looks like it will stay east of the Bahamas. So Miami should be okay.

I agree that Miami will likely be okay. That said, it's not really a good idea to travel into an area that might be experiencing tropical-storm-force winds. If the storm continues on the projected path, I'd recommend canceling regardless of whether your husband has to work.

As for Disney, they are typically great about this sort of situation. I know that from the inside, as I used to work at the Disney Reservations Center. When I was there, agents were temporarily granted the authority to waive cancelation fees when storms were on the way.

If you do decide to cancel or reschedule, be aware that it might take extra time to reach an agent. When a storm happens, all training classes and management meetings are canceled. Everyone who is trained to answer calls does that and everyone is asked to work overtime. Even with those things, however, the number of guests calling can cause extended wait times. Please be patient.

If you have trip insurance you should be fine, but it also looks like Disney has a policy for hurricanes that will also allow you to cancel without any penalties. So either way, you will hopefully be able to cancel if necessary. There was a number on the website, also.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/hurricane-policy/cancellation-or-change-fees/

If you have questions or you wish to reschedule your vacation due to a hurricane warning, please call (407) 939-7675.

My experience with Irma was that they cancelled my DVC points stay and refunded the points. I would think they are happy to do it if they are looking at serious weather. Might as well stay in Miami with your electricity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter