How Do You Spend Check-Out Day?

As I read all of these replies I had a question, how much time do you have to allocate for time if you are flying out. In 5 previous trips we have driven but scared of heights girls have told me we can fly if I book the Poly so I am learning about all the details on flying from this board.
It depends on what time your flight is. Security check can take a long time. Early in the morning, you can get there an hour before. Afternoon, at least 2.

It depends on what time your flight is. Security check can take a long time. Early in the morning, you can get there an hour before. Afternoon, at least 2.
So the girls have requested an evening departure so I should plan on 3 hours or so?

We just booked our flights for our upcoming trip in October, and our return flight isn’t until 7 PM. We tend to opt for earlier return flights but want to sleep in this trip as we’ll be attending a MNSSHP the night before, so I am trying to decide how we should spend our last half day at WDW.

We’ll be staying at BC, so one option would be to spend the afternoon at Stormalong Bay, but I’m not sure how easy it would be to get ready after pool time without a room to come back to. We’ll also have already spend a decent amount of time at the pool by this point.

Another option would be adding an extra day onto our tickets and heading into Epcot for a few hours.

I’ve also considered spending a few hours in Disney Springs. We have a reservation at Homecomin’ for earlier in the trip, but won’t be spending much time in DS other than that.

So how does everyone else choose to spend their last day when they have an evening flight? Am I missing any other options?
Disney Springs with dinner at Rainforest. We sit outside and enjoy the lake view.

We always rent a car and our mission is to get to the airport on the least amount of toll road as possible, so we leave time and drive through town. I get to enjoy walking around the airport gift shops, which are my final good bye to Disney.

So the girls have requested an evening departure so I should plan on 3 hours or so?
Do you have TSA pre check? If so, you'll spend less time on the security line.
If you stand on line you'll spend a longer time at check in than if you use a kiosk.
On our last trip, we had a 9 pm fight and got into the airport to drop our car just after 6, and we had a lot of time to kill because of the kiosk and precheck.

We use to hang out at the pool but lately have been going to the park. Stormalong Bay is really awesome so I'd probably just hang out there. They have showers by the pool which makes it easy to get ready after swimming.

We have to fly to California, which is a long flight. I can't imagine walking around the parks all day and then having to fly home all sweaty and gross. Luckily we have family nearby so we hang at their house for a few hours and they drive us to the airport. Otherwise, I might go see a movie at Disney Springs.

So how does everyone else choose to spend their last day when they have an evening flight? Am I missing any other options?
We always get a late flight out - 8PM to Los Angeles.

We gave gotten that extra ticket and spent the day in the parks. One time, feeling very ambitious, we did one attraction in each of the four parks on check out day. So much fun!

Last September we didn't get the extra park ticket so we went to DS for lunch and then took the buses and monorail and boats to several resorts. We traveled all over The World and it was really enjoyable. A plus was we were pretty tired when we got to MCO. Had a couple of drinks at The Lobby Bar and actually slept on the flight home.

We used to hit the road after breakfast. Then it was after lunch. Each time I feel like we stall a little longer, we should just bite the bullet and visit a park the last day!

We used to hit the road after breakfast. Then it was after lunch. Each time I feel like we stall a little longer, we should just bite the bullet and visit a park the last day!
Same here!
Except on the last trip, we did go to the MK and it was great. We arrived with our 3 fast passes, fit other rides in between and after lunch, in the MK, we left. It was the talk in the car because everyone felt it was the best way to end the trip.

Pack up the car and go to a park until we're ready to get on the road. Sometimes it is 2:00, sometimes it is 7:00 or 8:00. We do drive at least to the other side of the FL/GA line that night, further if we leave earlier in the day. This is one great thing about driving, we aren't tied to a schedule. We split the drive home into two days and always take at least one day off after we get home.

I’m so glad you posted this! I was wondering how many people who fly out hit the parks on the last day and was wondering if we could squeeze in a half day at MK being that we are only making it there one other day! Would it be demonic if we sprung for the Early Morning Magic on our departure day (it is a Sunday and I think it will be available).....?

I've tried different things. A couple of times I went to the Magic Kingdom on checkout day, but it only made me sadder to be leaving, plus I got nervous about whether I'd get out on time. One thing I've found I most enjoy on checkout day is a late, leisurely breakfast at The Wave. But if I were leaving from the Beach Club as you are, I'd probably switch this to a late, leisurely breakfast at Cape May Cafe, and then walk around the boardwalk area for a while, maybe ride a boat around the lagoon, and enjoy the scenery in that area for the last time of that trip. IMHO taking it easy on checkout day is best, resting up for the trip back.

Do you have TSA pre check? If so, you'll spend less time on the security line.
If you stand on line you'll spend a longer time at check in than if you use a kiosk.
On our last trip, we had a 9 pm fight and got into the airport to drop our car just after 6, and we had a lot of time to kill because of the kiosk and precheck.
Thank You I had forgotten about the pre check thing. I truly hate flying. The last time I flew a TSA agent argued that my government I.D.'s ( I have 3 ) were not real proof of anything. Sigh

I prefer to hang out by the pool-and BCV has a very nice area to shower and change. So we’ve done that. But my husband doesn’t like it-hates greasing up, changing, dealing with clothes...so one time with a later flight we had a late breakfast at Olivia’s and then shopping and a movie at DS. And a late lunch/early dinner at the Boathouse. Then off to the airport where our flight was delayed-got home really late and exhausted. Our last trip we left really early and was home by lunch time. We like that best of all-if I wasn’t doing that, I would have my carry held and go to a park-especially with kids.

The last non-stop flight for us is around 7:00 p.m. so the DME picks up around 4:00 p.m. For us, that doesn't seen like enough time to go into the parks to make a full day of it and worry about making it back to the resort in time for the DME pick up. So, we take our time waiting up (something we don't do the other days on vacation), check-out and spend the day at Disney Springs walking, watching the people go by and having lunch and/or early dinner. Then catch the bus back to the resort in time for DME pick up.

The last day, we usually go to the resort shop and try to use up all of our dining plan snack credits. :-)

On previous stays at the Beach Club, we've done character breakfasts at Cape May Cafe. We RD every morning, so we don't get much of a chance to have a relaxed sit down breakfast.

On our last day, with an evening flight, we spend as much time as possible at Magic Kingdom. We take it slow and easy on this day, just soaking up a last bit of that Disney magic.

Great question and like you, we have a couple options. We are staying at AKV and our flight home isn't until 6:30 pm so we have to be back to the resort by 3 pm for a 3:30 pm pick. That gives us a lot of time to play.

I'm torn between one last resort day, some time in Disney Springs, or using the FPs I have for AK.

Cry? Just kidding...sort of. We drive down but we always leave in the evening so the kids will sleep for much of the ride, which gives us time to hit MK before we leave. It’s our tradition, we always end with MK. We sleep in a little, check out and head to MK. We leave from there, our car already packed up, for the sad ride home.

Back in 2000, it was me in the MCO airport crying because I simply was so sad we had to leave for home. We had such an early flight out we slept in our clothes. I said never again! I'll pay more to actually SLEEP on departure day and have time for breakfast/lunch and just...…. That could be 3 or 4 hrs in a park or a nice meal at the resort, or off to Downtown for some shopping.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter