How do you feel about wearing a mask at Disney parks?

How do you feel about wearing a mask while at a Disney Park?

• If wearing a mask means the parks can open sooner, I'll wear one. I just want to be able to go!

• Wearing masks would detract from the Disney experience I love so much! I won't go if I have to mask

Results are only viewable after voting.
I don’t like wearing masks but do for essential trips as required by the grocery store and pharmacy. I understand that some people do not want to drop thousands of dollars on a vacation and be told to wear one. That is one of the reasons I’ll be canceling our summer trip.
However, the thing I’m most concerned about is the “you can’t make me” types harassing and instigating the poor cast members during this. “I’ve paid lots of money to be here, so I’m entitled to my own rules”- we’ve all seen them there. They’re insufferable normally, but I’m afraid the masks will kick them up a notch.

Last edited:
There are reports of at least two Chinese teens who died because they were forced to wear masks in PE class. The reports come from many sources online. They are not hard to find.

There is another report of a Chinese man jogging in a mask who suffered a collapsed lung- also easy to find online. Some people claim his lung collapsed because he had a "tall and thin" frame (even tall, thin runners don't typically have collapsed lungs do they?) and perhaps an underlying condition, but there are reports that doctors say the collapse was ultimately caused by his wearing the mask because it caused an increase of pressure to his lung.

I have seen people comment that people need to "suck it up" and to stop being "babies" about wearing face coverings, but there truly are dangers to wearing them for longer periods of time- especially in the the heat. It just makes logical sense. Anything that reduces oxygen flow can be a health danger. When people get headaches after wearing a mask for an hour or less, that is a sign that they are bad for our bodies.

It would be ironic if, in an attempt to avoid lawsuits by requiring masks, Disney walks right into one when someone collapses due to being forced to wear a face covering.

Edit: Ha! I think several of us posted this at the same time.

There are reports of at least two Chinese teens who died because they were forced to wear masks in PE class. The reports come from many sources online. They are not hard to find.

There is another report of a Chinese man jogging in a mask who suffered a collapsed lung- also easy to find online. Some people claim his lung collapsed because he had a "tall and thin" frame (even tall, thin runners don't typically have collapsed lungs do they?) and perhaps an underlying condition, but there are reports that doctors say the collapse was ultimately caused by his wearing the mask because it caused an increase of pressure to his lung.

I have seen people comment that people need to "suck it up" and to stop being "babies" about wearing face coverings, but there truly are dangers to wearing them for longer periods of time- especially in the the heat. It just makes logical sense. Anything that reduces oxygen flow can be a health danger. When people get headaches after wearing a mask for an hour or less, that is a sign that they are bad for our bodies.

It would be ironic if, in an attempt to avoid lawsuits by requiring masks, Disney walks right into one when someone collapses due to being forced to wear a face covering.

I totally agree. WDW has a lot of guests who are of advanced age or just poor health/obesity in general. For some of those visitors, just walking around the park could be considered “vigorous exercise” in the summer months. Notwithstanding the argument that those visitors should probably delay visits to WDW anyways until masks aren’t required, this can even be dangerous to healthy individuals. My boyfriend is a fit and healthy man in his mid 30s who once had heat stroke in the military in his early 20s. I would be concerned about him as well. It’s just not feasible for a full day in Florida summer heat (where recent reports have said the virus is much less likely to transmit due to UV rays and the weight of droplets in humid air). If mandatory, they should only require masks in indoor enclosed spaces and transportation.

How will Disney enforce the way to properly wear the mask? People are different here then they are in Asia and I am sure many here won't even keep it on properly. i.e slipping it around their neck repeatedly and not covering their nose.

I have to wear a mask all day long and I am outside all day. I have gotten use to it but, on days when it is hotter I don't feel so good.
They won't. the primary reason to ask guests to wear masks is to make guests "feel" safe. If you know people are required to wear masks, you are more likely to come (if you were worried about your safety to begin with). Just like the security checkpoints.

It is also to protect the castmembers .. even if 50% of the guests don't wear masks, that is still (in theory) cutting down the odds of others getting infected.

But I doubt Disney is going to have some sort of "mask police" wandering around enforcing the requirement. The requirement is probably just to GET INTO the park. I highly doubt they will kick someone out for not wearing a mask or wearing it wrong (though they may get a friendly reminder or be offered a free mask).

I will wear a mask until this virus is under control. I have a trip planned at the end of August.... I know how hot that is, as we go at that time of year all the time. I will wear a mask if required. Sometimes we have to do things we don't like to do because it's what society has deemed best for most.... like wear clothes in general. Man, I would love to wander around Disney in the buff or possibly in a bathing suit, in the summer heat.... but that's not allowed lol. I accept that. I love being barefoot.... I don't do that in public. As for the masks, is what it is... it won't be forever I'm sure. If I choose to go to Disney, I will choose to follow whatever guidelines they have in place. Smokers make that choice... people with coolers make that choice... everyone has a choice.

I will wear a mask until this virus is under control. I have a trip planned at the end of August.... I know how hot that is, as we go at that time of year all the time. I will wear a mask if required. Sometimes we have to do things we don't like to do because it's what society has deemed best for most.... like wear clothes in general. Man, I would love to wander around Disney in the buff or possibly in a bathing suit, in the summer heat.... but that's not allowed lol. I accept that. I love being barefoot.... I don't do that in public. As for the masks, is what it is... it won't be forever I'm sure. If I choose to go to Disney, I will choose to follow whatever guidelines they have in place. Smokers make that choice... people with coolers make that choice... everyone has a choice.
Someone in a comment on another site mentioned how uncomfortable wearing a bra is in the heat of summer, but we do it. I thought that was a good comparison. I know, I know, a bra doesn't restrict your breathing but still. I'm a bra-hater!

YES! My feelings exactly!! I am one of those people who tend to pass out and literally hit the floor. It’s happened to me many times in my life. Now that I’m older I feel it coming and I know I need to sit, put my head down, breathe, get a fan or AC and get some water ASAP. Wearing a mask in August would no doubt not be good news for me!!

I love this board because of how friendly it is, I think COVID-19 is bringing out a lot of strong opinions and feelings so I'm going to focus on the latest news, an observation and my personal decision. Bob Chapek recently weighed in and mentioned masks as part of reopening. It does seem they will at least at first require guests and cast members to wear masks.

The poll result is really interesting it's nearly 50/50 and it's kind of funny because they'll want reduced capacity and the mask issue may (inadvertently) make that easier for Disney.

My own thought and I've stated this on a couple of topics is I personally don't feel a mask trip to Disney is something I want. I have reservations in November and may cancel. Everyone has brought up excellent points on both sides. I live in NYC and I wear a mask whenever I leave the house. But to echo what some have said: there's no way I can personally bare a 14 hour day at Disney World whether it's 60 degrees or 90 degrees in a mask.

I think now that they're publicly stating it's a fair probability, the question will very soon turn into "will they" into a question of "for how long?"

I think attendance vs their intended capacity cap will be the determining factor. Half of people want to cancel their trips because (like me!) they don't want to wear masks? Ok well we only want to operate at x capacity anyway. Now when they are looking to fill in the park to 75% and above that's when they might relax those rules as long as people who claim they won't go with those rules don't go.

One last point @Disneytrippin' made was the "stink eye". Even if they eventually relax this requirement I feel some will indeed be looked down upon. As an adult Disney goer, I don't want to be viewed as "you're putting my child at risk" or "my parent" or "Myself". Part of this is a much larger conversation that isn't happening as much yet such as "I recovered, I'm told I can't get it again so I can't spread it, why am I wearing a mask?". But I don't care for that conversation in the scope of WDW. Chapek noted that this is easier to adopt in Asia, and indeed that is true because though I'm happy to do my part in society, my payout is to go to Disney World and be a kid and not worry about anything (when I feel it's safe for me and my family to do so) 😉

Not only do masks have limited effectiveness, the environmental conditions and duration of stay are not conducive to wearing masks. I think a much more reasonable approach would to be to adhere to the science and data and restrict entrance for those over 60 or with high risk factors. Also, they will probably need to have people sign waivers upon entry or ticket purchase.

No way will my family or I wear a mask to WDW. Going to the grocery store is one thing, but dropping thousands of dollars to suffocate in the heat is a whole 'nuther thing.

And, although I have no evidence, I would be willing to bet that the 50/50 split on this thread would be a LOT more leaning to "Won't wear a mask" if you asked the average Disney-goer, since in general DIS-ers are a lot more "hardcore" than average.

I apologize if this has been asked before in this thread, but what could Disney's plan be for restaurants?

Are we going to be forced to sneak the fork-full of food underneath our mask? Or will we be allowed to remove it for 5 seconds to take a bite, then put it back on to chew?

Not only do masks have limited effectiveness, the environmental conditions and duration of stay are not conducive to wearing masks. I think a much more reasonable approach would to be to adhere to the science and data and restrict entrance for those over 60 or with high risk factors. Also, they will probably need to have people sign waivers upon entry or ticket purchase.
That's age discrimination. If I have a reservation and a ticket, I'm going in. :hippie:

And like I asked on another thread, when we get pictures taken by Photo Pass photographers (if we can), will they allow us to pull masks down while pic is taken then pull them back up? I personally do not want to pay for a bunch of pictures where I can't even tell if we're smiling.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter