How do you deal with sit down eating alone.

I have been to Disney tons of times and have never noticed anybody solo. I just went for a week with my daughter over the 4th of July. This trip, I looked for solo people because I have my upcoming solo trip. I noticed solo travelers for the first time ever and all of them looked happy and content. That’s how I’m going to look when I go in September!!

I booked a solo reservation at Topolinos for my birthday dinner and I am so excited to eat there alone. I will not have to share with my daughter 😂.

I’m going solo 9/8-9/14 and booked breakfast reservation at Topolinos really looking forward to it. Also booked a reservation for 2 at Ohana and was just going to change it to one when I got there but thinking it might be uncomfortable to eat solo there and may just cancel that one.

They do not charge the no show fee as long as one person shows up for the ADR.
Confirming what @gottalovepluto said. One year we had a reservation for Thanksgiving dinner at Trattorio al Forno. There were multiple families involved, and everyone else's dinner plans fell through, so I ended up being the only one dining. The restaurant told me that as long as at least one person shows up, they don't penalize the no-shows.

-bring something to read on your smartphone. I buy an iBook before a trip so I have something to do while waiting around for food. At first I used to browse my phone but news, family, etc was not very relaxing. I’m in a much better mood disappearing into a book as vacay for me when I travel solo is about disconnecting.
Yeah, I tend to use my phone to entertain myself while waiting in line or waiting to be served at a restaurant these days, but I realized partway through a solo trip that I need to be conscientious about what I browse on it. It's too easy to get pulled back into real world worries and frustrations if I browse the news or social media, and I don't want to fixate on something outside the parks when I'm meant to be enjoying myself. I have really liked the Play Disney Parks app; it has enough different games and trivia questions for different areas of the parks that it kept me pretty well occupied throughout a week-long solo trip. I'll play non-Disney games on my phone during a trip, too, but I do try to stick to games rather than wandering the internet. I played a ton of spider solitaire on my trip to Disneyland Paris, to the point where whenever I open that app now I get a blast of nostalgia for those parks because I associate it so strongly with that trip.

While jerks can happen anywhere I will chime in as well that blessedly I haven’t run into any traveling as a solo female at bars at Disney hotels or parks. It’s one of the things I enjoy about traveling at Disney. I don’t doubt for a second people have run into jerks at Disney bars but I wouldn’t be scared off trying a bar at Disney out of that fear.

If you’re not looking to socialize at all definitely avoid bar sitting but if you’re content on your own or making general chit chat a bar at Disney* is one of the safer bars to do so.

*Disney parks or hotels. I have no experience at Disney Springs places
Yeah, I'm disappointed to hear people have had bad experiences at the bars, but I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. I have found that bars do tend to make for a more social experience, for better or for worse. I've often enjoyed that; Trader Sam's is the most fun if you can join in with the callouts and sitting right at the bar put me in the center of it. I was a solo woman sitting next to a solo man; we chatted but he didn't hit on me or anything; he was just there to enjoy the bar the same as I was. If that hadn't been the case, I suppose I would have had to leave if I felt unsafe. The general methods for staying safe still apply even though it's Disney; I don't leave my drinks unattended regardless of where I am.

For myself, I was always fine with going and sitting at a table alone--not a big deal. The first hump I really had to get over was going to more social dining experiences, like sitting at a bar or at a communal table (like at Biergarten), or going somewhere you're expected to interact more with your server (like Whispering Canyon, or to a lesser extent, Skipper Canteen). Shared spaces are always luck of the draw in terms of who you end up with, but so far I've had good experiences with it--I just know that it's going to be more social and less relaxing (I'm an introvert, so I do need alone time to recharge). The ones that still scare me a bit are character dining and buffets; I haven't been able to bring myself to book either. I can do family-style meals just fine, but getting up from my table to go get more food makes me worry my table's going to be cleared while I'm gone (good idea to make a card to put on the table--I would have thought leaving a jacket or hat would be enough!!). And then I'm nervous about getting attention from characters. But I've built myself up to other social experiences that had scared me, so I'm sure I'll get there eventually.

I've thought about this myself. Many years ago I did a solo trip where I stayed at one of the All-Stars resorts. I had partially finished my meal and got up to refill my drink. By the time I returned (less than two minutes, tops) my table had been cleared! I explained that I had not finished eating, and they replaced the meal. I actually complimented them on the efficiency of their staff. It was briefly frustrating but overall funny.
Same thing happened to me at Saratoga Springs. Now what I do is ask people at an adjacent table not to let anyone clear my table. People are really nice about it, but one time when I got back, the people said "No, Ma'am-that food is being held for someone.":laughing::laughing::laughing:

I'm working on this myself. For my first solo trip I only did quick service or room service. I have worked up to doing sit down breakfast and lunch but dinner still feels awkward. I think it just takes getting used to and it's a whole lot easier when the food is good lol

I was worried about this my self but I ate at Ohana, Le Cellier and California Grill Brunch solo and no problem. Sure people might notice a solo diner because it is unusual in WDW but they give it no more than a thought. Any awkardness you feel you bring yourself.
And believe me before I did it the first time for a solo trip I was concerned about it. But I got encoragement from this board to go ahead and do it.
Even at Ohana when they started rushing the meal like the place was on fire I in a very nice way told them to back off and it worked.

Love the card when you leave for a bit idea.
Has anyone done this?
What did you put on the card? Just wondering....😊

Personally, I find LESS stigma eating alone at a table service at Disney than I would around home or on a business trip. Not that I have any problem doing so myself - but of all the times or places I've eaten solo, I've gotten less notice or attention at Disney than any other place. The sheer number of people there mean that odds are there are dozens or hundreds of solo diners every day, almost anywhere in the parks or resorts. Probably a good half of the times I've been solo at a sit-down restaurant at Disney, I've seen other solo diners within my sightline. It's just not that unusual. Plus, at Disney World, eating alone doesn't always mean you are alone - I've been on trips with family or friends, and still had days when I felt like doing a different park, or eating a different food, and split off to eat.
Most people are too busy with their own vacation to worry what someone at another table is up to - in fact, I notice quite often that the diners having the most enjoyable experience are the solo diners, or the middle-aged couple. The big groups of people with kids often look rather occupied and often a bit miserable trying to control the unruly kids running all around and the teenagers on their phones, and are trying to wrap up as quickly as possible to get to the next ride or queue. One of the greatest pleasures of solo dining at Disney is being on your schedule only, taking all the time you want, enjoying the restaurant's decor, listening to other tables, no rush.

LMAO .... Everything that Everyone said is soooooooo familiar. But I had to experience and learn it my~solo~self. JUST DON'T DO THIS: My first solo meal back in 2017 was at Epcot Italy. I have been an amateur photographer since high school. My camera gets more action than my phone. My appetizer arrives, prosciutto & melon, and it is awesome! Bring out the camera / twist for focus / click the shutter / and FLASH goes the flash!!! I look up, as surprised as everyone else seated around and LOOKING AT ME. "What?!? I just need to show my Dear Wife at home what she is missing." That got some really good laffs! Just remember ~ Everyone is there for the same reason as you: A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes.

I agree with others saying to bring a book! You can also get meals at many of the lounges/bars if that would be more comfortable. I've dined alone at a table service before and had a good experience just chatting with the server and the people working.

I’m going solo 9/8-9/14 and booked breakfast reservation at Topolinos really looking forward to it. Also booked a reservation for 2 at Ohana and was just going to change it to one when I got there but thinking it might be uncomfortable to eat solo there and may just cancel that one.
No need to cancel. I’ve dined Solo at Ohana. It was fine!

I have a solo trip next week and I booked an early breakfast reservation at Cinderella's Royal Table, because I want the experience of being in the park before it opens. And experience the beauty of the castle, which has always enchanted me since a child, I've always wanted to explore

Anyway I'm a 53-year-old guy so lol I'll let you know how it all goes feeling self-conscious, but loving Disney. Hahaa. I'm totally excited and I'm going to take pictures of the princess and enjoy the vibe and smile the whole time, who cares what other people think

I probably already wrote this but surprisingly Ohana solo is fine. I had a great deal of trepidation because I felt it was purely a family and group place but I was encouraged by this site to go alone and they were right. If you want the food and atmosphere have no hesitation. The servers treat you like everybody else. That is too fast but you can say I'm not ready for that yet and they leave.

I am going to Disneyland in September with my cousin. My cousin may back out.
Just wondering
What is the process to reach out on disboards for people who might want to join me for lunch.

I am going to Disneyland in September with my cousin. My cousin may back out.
Just wondering
What is the process to reach out on disboards for people who might want to join me for lunch.
You can start a new thread here in the solos forum, and/or in the Disneyland forum.

I agree with the other comments, people are simply too busy with their own to be concerned with someone eating solo. I always bring my phone and keep myself occupied that way.

Are buffets any better (now that they're coming back)? My plan was to put my park bag on the chair across from me and pretend my partner got up to get food... :rotfl2:

I just can't get over eating alone at a TS restaurant.

I'm not sure why you're reluctant. You have plenty examples here of it being ok. If an extremely shy self conscious person like me can do it anybody can.
And I don't know why you need to pretend you have a partner when people will see you clearly don't. And it doesn't matter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter