• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

how do the parks handle "lost" children?

violet13

Mouseketeer
We are going to Disney and Universal in November with 4 children, the BIGGEST fear I have is losing one of my kids, it only takes a second. Should we put name tags on them? Does the staff look out for lost children? Where do they take them? Anybody experinced this??....any and all advice would be helpful. Thanks!

I don't think I would put name tags on your kids. If there are any preditors around they could use the childs name to lure them away.

I lost my son at Blizzard Beach last year :( ... worst experience of my life. I went to the stand the guards told me to and reported him missing. The CM had me write a description of him, I did this with tears running down my face. She said they would not page him, but that they would alert the guards via those 2-way radios and they would look out for him. This didn't give me much comfort because my description of my son was... 10 year old boy, brown hair, black bathing suit... do you know how many kids fit that description!!! Anyway he finally came back, he had gone to one of the slides (without bothering to tell me) and got stuck in a long wait for the slide :( My DH had decided not to join us that morning at BB and stayed back at the hotel. All I could do was visualize having to call my DH and say I had lost our son... anyway, needless to say it was the worst 20-30 minutes of my life!

Here is my suggestion. Craft a bracelet. It doesn't have to be artistic unless you are good at that but the bracelet should be waterproof. The information should have your child's name, your name, your hotel, hotel number as your hometown/phone number. When I went I used bracelet's from the hospital I worked at. If your local hospital has the same type bracelet, maybe you could ask them for a few. You don't want to put name tags on them, then anyone and everyone will know there name. I don't know the age of your kids but you should rehearse with them a few details such as explaining what the bracelet is for and if they get lost they should go to the first disney castmember they see either one working at a store or even a character. My kids are now older 11,13 so we wil have cell phones. It might be a good idea for you and your husband though, this way you could split up if you had to.

The funny thing is that it's never the kids that are lost, they know right where they are! It's the parents that are lost!

This is actually a pretty serious subject that everyone needs to discuss as a family before your trip even begins.

First, do NOT put name tags on your kids. In fact try not to have their name displayed anywhere that a predator could see it. (Jewelry is a prime example) Make sure they know their name, your name, the hotel you are staying at, and hopefully the room number, and your home telephone, including the area code. If they are too young to know this info, they really need to be in a stroller or holding your hand at all times.

Discuss not ever going anywhere with a stranger. This gets dicey, because if they do get separated from you, they will need to seek out the help of a cast member and probably be taken to a place where you will be able to be reunited. Point out the cast members to them, again, dicey as they all have different costumes which vary from hotel to park to land. You might want to show them the WHITE nametag that all WDW CM's where. If the person is wearing a colored tag, they are NOT a CM and your child shouldn't go with them. Tell them that if they are lost, they need to go into the nearest shop or restaurant, and go to the counter, and tell the CM they are lost. By them seeking out a person behind a counter, you are pretty much guaranteeing that they are actually going to a CM. Tell them that NO MATTER WHAT, THEY NEVER, NEVER, NEVER leave the park with ANYONE, period. WDW will never remove your child from a park if they are lost.

Anne

Disney has an extremely sophisticated security program. However, you can do the most to secure your children. Talk to them about staying together, listening to you and making this a fun family trip.

Helpful hints: Don't worry about what they are wearing, people can change clothes, hair length, etc. The bracelet sounds like a good idea, but if it can be taken off by burning or scissors, it will be.

Always remember your child's shoes! For whatever reasons, abducters do not bring change of shoes!

Disney has a systems that can locate help locate children in minutes.

Also, remember, there are more abductions at the nearest mall than their are in amusement parks.

Keep an eye on your kids and let them know that they need to listen to you! If bribery will help, so be it.

My SIL lost my niece a couple of years ago - she was about 6 at the time and just wandered off. They found her nearby fortunately.

When it happened, my SIL immediately went to the closest CM. They told her they would radio other CMs and also that Disney security has cameras watching all over the park. However, he also told her that abductors usually take children so quickly to the closest bathroom or secluded area and change their clothes, hair, etc. that it is really important to find the child immediately.

The leashes sound like a great idea. You need to protect your child, wherever you are. Instead of putting the childs name, I would suggest infomation such as your hotel, room number, cell phone - this way a stranger can't address your child by name.

Does anyone really believe that urban tale about the kidnapped child who's hair was dyed and cut and clothes were changed in a public bathroom? HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

It takes 20 minutes for hair dye to take after application. And don't you think a crying child who's appearance was being changed would be noticed in a restroom at WDW? I mean REALLY when was the last time that you were in a restroom at WDW and the entire time you were in there--what 2-3 minutes--nobody else was there?

Sorry folks, it doesn't work that way. A predator gains the childs confidence, and the child happily walks off with him or her. They ask for help with something like a lost puppy or another child, or they tell the child that the childs parents are a friend of theirs, and that the parents asked them to bring the child someplace. It's especially easy for them to pull the latter off if the childs name is displayed on their clothing or jewelry. Think about it. A perp sees Suzies name on her necklace. He/she walks up to her and calls her by name, and because he knows her name it is very easy for him to make her think s/he knows Suzie and is really a friend of her parents.

A sexual predator working a public area goes on the idea of gaining the childs confidence so they will readily leave with the predator, not forcing them at all.

Anne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter