How did you decide where to add on?

Debbiebee68

Mouseketeer
We bought 200 points last July with a March use year. When we stayed at SSR last week we decded to add on. While we were impressed with AKL, we figured it would be annoying to have points in two different places, considering that 200 points would not cover our annual vacation in July. So we did a 100 point add on at SSR. This year we used 248 points. We figured that this way we could make whatever ressies we wanted without the 11 versus 7 month problem. Anyone else use this rationale? I think our next add on could be somewhere else with less complications. Ahhh- decsions, decisions..................:confused3

I am always a fan for the KISS method... :thumbsup2

We did do two add on's, but they were at VB... I figured that as time when on and DVD build more and more onsite resorts, that'd it get harder to book offsite at the 7 month...

So... We do have two home resorts... One onsite, and one offsite.. Same use year...

DW has been thinking of looking into an add on for AKV, but I really don't think we need any more points at WDW... We have way more than enough... Plus AKV (like SSR and OKW) will be HUGE... I don't anticipate a tough time booking...

Not sure what'd we'd do if DVD finally starts to build something else offsite like at DL or somewhere else... Now... That'd be tempting.. :goodvibes

I believe that the old DVC recommendation is more important now than ever. Add or buy where you want to stay. :thumbsup2

I believe that the old DVC recommendation is more important now than ever. Add or buy where you want to stay. :thumbsup2

I couldn't agree more...

We started with 150 pts. at BWV, and then added 52 at HH a few years later. The 11-month window has been invaluable at BWV for getting the standard view rooms! :woohoo:

As for HH, we have never used the points to stay there. :confused3 Instead we have used them for other properties, or rented them to family, etc.

When (not if) GCV become available, we will be buying a small number of points there as well, since southern CA is our favorite vacation spot. We plan on buying more points in the place that we plan to stay most often. :cool2:

I went for simplicity for now. I did my add-on at the same resort as my original contract (AKV). I may change my mind in time, but for now, I want the simplicity of having all my points at one resort.

Originally bought at VWL. My kids fell in love with Beach Club, so when BCV went on sale, that's where I did my add on. (and when they opened up BCV you could no longer "hop" to Stormalong Bay!)

We have added on where we would want to stay. We own at VWL, BWV, VB, AKV and BCV. I want to be able to use the points at the home resort whenever possible. I'm one of the people who has had a reservation lost when trying to switch from one resort to another, in this case from BWV to VB. Both reservations were lost. I'm gun shy about changes now.

Bobbi:goodvibes

We added on where we want to stay. Started with BWV, added VWL and then AKL. I want the 11 month advantage for booking! Having all 530 points at one location wouldn't do that for me.

We have added on where we would want to stay. We own at VWL, BWV, VB, AKV and BCV. I want to be able to use the points at the home resort whenever possible.

Same thought here. I want the 11-mo home booking resort advantage where I want to stay - at AKV, VWL, BWV, and BCV.

DH and I also decided to add on to a different resort for the 11 month booking advantage. We already have 325 points at SSR and last week did an add on at AKV for 125 points.

Same thought here. I want the 11-mo home booking resort advantage where I want to stay - at AKV, VWL, BWV, and BCV.

Were you the family just before us on the BCV waiting list for March UY? We just got them earlier this month.

Bobbi

We originally owned 230 points at OKW but LOVED staying at BWV for New Year's Eve. Many moons ago there used to be special wait lists for busy times (like NYE and Spring Break) and anyone could put themselves on the wait list for any resort ... the 11 month priority did not apply. I would call for BWV's wait list as soon as I could and we always got into BWV using our OKW points. Then, DVC got rid of the special wait lists and went to a 11-month window for everything ... so we bought 200 points at BWV to be able to book over NYE. Both contracts were purchased off the resale market, so juggling points was a little tricky but not impossible.

Fast forward to this year and Disney announced AKV. My DH's favorite resort is AKL, so buying 2 50-point contracts at AKV was a no-brainer for us. We did have to sell our OKW points to pay for it though :(. The remaining $$ from the sale will be set aside for (knock wood) CRV ... the Contemporary being my favorite resort :). We'll buy another 100 points there (fingers and toes crossed). We will then have a total of 400 points (down from 430).

Our plan will be to use the BWV points for our annual NYE trips and then bank/borrow the other two resorts every other year so we have 200 points to use alternating between AKV and CRV. Juggling points between resorts becomes much easier too! Since all the resorts are under ONE contract number with the same use year (August) I can combine them to use at ANY resort within the 7-month booking window at that resort.

So, I guess that I would recommend that you not be afraid of having multiple resorts on the same contract. It's really not that hard to keep track of things. Buy where you want to stay!

We purchased 200 SSR pts. to begin with and considered it our main home resort. Then we decided to add on smaller contracts at BCV for the 11 month adv. for spring break and F&W festival - every other year.

Our next plan is to do a small add-on at WVL to assure us the 11 mo. window near the holidays every other year. But still SSR will remain the primary for our longer trips, ones with 2BR, any trading out with II or concierge and any spontaneous visits.

At the moment, we do not plan to "mix and mingle" the points from the various resorts at the 7 mo. mark - just use them for our original plan. Now when our children leave the nest (not all that far away), who knows?? for now, we are pleased with our decisions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter