How comfortable are you speaking in front of large groups of people?

No problem at all. Was a tour guide for years & have conducted dozens of drivers’ meetings.

I have no problem with public speaking as long as I'm comfortable with the topic. I majored in Public Relations, so presentations were a big part of my classes. Several years ago, I was at a company meeting with about 300 people. The presenter was talking about mission statements and said they're kind of like the Preamble to the Constitution. He said anyone brave enough to stand up and recite the preamble would get a nice bottle of wine. Everyone just sat there and looked around, so I stood up and did it. It was kind of fun and people said they couldn't believe I had it memorized. Those of us who grew up on Saturday morning Schoolhouse Rock will know exactly how I learned it!

I can be the first one out on a dance floor but me talking and people looking and listening to me: no thank you!!
Started at my first piano recital, PANIC, I was around 8 yrs old, then in HS, I would take an F, couldn't do it, as an adult going to Tech school had to do a few "presentations" threw up before one. Maybe a shrink or hypnotist could tell me why LOL!

More comfortable now than I used to be. The more you do it, the better you get. Being in Toastmasters has helped as well.

I'm okay at it. I was the school PTO president for a few years, and the first few times I had to speak in front of all the parents my whole body would shake. I finally got used to it. I also was a lector at our church for years, and had to prepare speeches for our church youth on retreats. It's been a few years since I've spoken to groups, though.

I have no problem talking in or performing in front of a crowd. One on One with new people gets a little harder.

As long as I am "me" I'm okay in front of large groups. I cannot act or play any kind of character. If I'm in charge of something, I kind of hide within that role though.

Like others, I sometimes get shy one on one with strangers.

I taught for 20 years, I can speak in front of 30 kids with no problem. However an auditorium full on awards night always gave me serious anxiety.

I don't know why but my greatest fear would be that I would either say the wrong name, or be stricken with a sudden onset of tourette's syndrome or something like that.

I used to be better at it than I am now, and it didn't bother me as much. I don't have much opportunity to do it anymore, so when I do, it gives me more anxiety. (Like several previous posters have alluded to, I think practice really helps lessen the anxiety.) It also helps if I feel confident in the material I'm discussing. The fear of being asked questions that I can't answer also gives me anxiety when speaking in front of a group.

Like the OP, I'm often more confident in front of a larger group than a small one, and I'm not quite sure why. (Even if the people from the small group are in the larger group.)

Only if I know the material like the back of my hand!

I dislike giving speeches. I even worked a few years as a tour guide, at least I had prompts to follow.

I tend to avoid groups of peers, actually any group.

I have no problem speaking in front of anyone. I've spoken at conferences, whole company meetings, I lector at church... I'm comfortable inn a crowd or one on one. I can speak on things that I know, or I can wing it when necessary.

Funny story... I was at a Christmas party with my DH one year. I knew the host but no one else. My DH knew several people there. He ditched me at the door to the restaurant to visit with people he knew... much like we usually do at a party. I went to the bar and started talking to a man. We talked for quite some time. He was lovely. When we sat down, it was with the host and he pointed to the man with whom I was talking. He said that he was one of his foremen and the only time he spoke to anyone was to give them work instructions. He was shocked that I pulled him out of his shell to talk to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter