Hotel Del Coronado & BUD/s - Walking along the beach?

brocklesnar69

Proud to be a Villain
We'll be leaving for Disneyland here very soon (Tomorrow) and since the day we arrive will be used more for sight seeing rather than being at the parks we were thinking about traveling down to Coronado and seeing the Hotel Del Coronado, and walking the beach in front of BUD/s (The Navy SEAL school) and checking it out.

Does anyone know if it's permitted to walk along the beach in front of BUD/s, down by the water? We were thinking of starting at the Hotel Del and walking all the way down along the beach the "Dirt Hole" (about a mile) and back.

I don't want to get all the way down there and then find out we can't walk out there. That would be depressing. :confused3

It was a while since I was there. Eventually there was a fence across the beach.

Hi there! That's actually where my husband works :)

The bulk of the "Amphib Base" as it's called, is on the opposite side of the street than the Hotel Del next to Glorietta Bay, but yes, the obstacle course and stuff is on the Del side on the beach. You can watch from the road, but as Ski said, you can't walk to the training areas because the base spans both sides of the road and is for authorized personnel only. Also, I'm not sure if there's a BUD/s class right now in that stage of training? In other words, it's not like there's always something going on right there. That's just one stage of MANY.

ETA: I thought that you were staying at the Del and walking down. I just re-read your post and see that you're staying at Disneyland and were going to DRIVE DOWN! In that case....EEK! Lol. The Del is cool and all, but if you weren't planning on coming to San Diego anyway, I wouldn't drive two hours each way just to see it, and I CERTAINLY wouldn't drive down to see the base because, well, as I said, you can't get very close!

Thanks for the responses!

Is your husband a SEAL? :worship:

Anyway, BUD/s runs four classes per year. One for each season (Spring/Summer/Fall/Winter). The second phase classes run in between these dates, so there's always a class going on there at some point. But yeah, the first two phases are there at BUD/s while the third phase group is out at San Clementie Island.

God Bless those guys! :hug:

Thanks for the responses!

Is your husband a SEAL? :worship:

Anyway, BUD/s runs four classes per year. One for each season (Spring/Summer/Fall/Winter). The second phase classes run in between these dates, so there's always a class going on there at some point. But yeah, the first two phases are there at BUD/s while the third phase group is out at San Clementie Island.

God Bless those guys! :hug:

No, not a SEAL. He's an EOD Tech. Not sure if you know what that is (a lot of people don't), but luckily the movie The Hurt Locker came out a few years ago so I can at least say "you know, the guys with the bomb suits in Hurt Locker?" and that helps explain what he does :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter