Hosta question

BernardandMissBianca

Rum makes math fun!
I have 2 huge hostas that I want to split but I can't remember when I should cut them. Should I do it now, wait til the leaves die or wait til next spring?

TIA!

They're easiest to handle when there are no leaves. I usually wait until spring, just as they start to stick their little noses out of the ground but before they leaf out.
However, I have divided hosta at every conceivable stage of growth, and they're pretty hard to mess up.
If the clump is really large, I usually won't bother digging up the whole thing. I just take a good sharp spade and cut straight down into the plant, hacking out the piece that I want to transplant. So I'm lazy....

Thanks, that what I thought.

They are pretty hardy, I had them sitting in a box with my iris tubers for 2 years before I planted them and everything came right back. I have taken the hostas and iris from my Grand-MIL house and have been moved to all 3 of my houses. Everything has been in the ground for 3 years now and all of it needs dividing so I'm giving my mom some of the splits form the hostas. But since all the flowers on the other plants have died the hosta is the only thing with color so I'll leave them for now. I think they are close to blooming too.

I'm lazy too, I have a very little green thumb. Thanks for your help!
Off to finish cutting the grass and spray more poison ivy. :rolleyes:

The slugs always get mine! MIL plants them because she brought them from Hungary

The slugs always get mine! MIL plants them because she brought them from Hungary

mine get a little eaten but they are close to the well so I don't want to spray. So they are not perfect but Bob's your uncle, right?

WOO HOO I finally got to use my favorite British phrase!!!:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Did I get it right MUK??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter