Hoop De Doo

lmmollohan

Earning My Ears
I have heard wonderful things about the Hoop De Doo Musical Review and had planned to go with my 3 kids (7, 5 and 2 1/2) when we are there in Dec.

I have been reading the tour books though and they basically say it is corny with bad jokes and mediocre food. Any opinions on this one? Is it worth the price and the time spent or are there better ideas?

DH and I went to the Hoop De Doo Revue and the Luau on our honeymoon back in 1986. The entertainment at the Luau was good, but the food was only so-so. The food at the Hoop De Doo was great, however - good fried chix, ribs, corn on the cob, awesome salad, and real strawberry shortcake for dessert! The show was extremely corny, but funny and catchy, and we love that kind of humor.

We took our kids last March for the first time, ages 13, 11, and 5, and as soon as we made our ressies, my DH said, call and book the Hoop De Doo. I thought he was nuts, too much money since I had to pay full price for the 13 year old, but that was one of his favorite memories from our honeymoon.

THE SHOW IS EXACTLY THE SAME! Still funny after all these years! The food was okay, chicken was great, and hubby still loved the ribs. I loved the salad! No more corn on the cob anymore though - corn mixed with peppers, and the strawberry shortcake was more like a strawberry jelly. Maybe we just went out of season?? More importantly, the kids LOVED it! This was their favorite meal of the week - they still sing Hoop De Doo when the mood strikes.

Another thumbs up. If the cost was not so high we would do it every trip! The show was county style fun. We found the food quite good and even our very picky DS ate well. The service was awsome. The favorite part for me was watching these toddlers and small kids watching the show. They loved it so even your toddler should get a lot out of the show. I say go at least once>

Jordan's mom

We did the HDDR this past June with our dd9 and dd2 and they loved it!! Now when we look at the pictures from our trip the 2 y/o dances in a circle singing "Hoop dee do, hoop dee do." The jokes are corny but it is hilarious-I definitely recommend it!

DH & I went to see HDDMR on our honeymoon, in 1989. We thouroughly enjoyed it (we still joke about how the menu was almost identical to what they served at ARABIAN KNIGHTS, and MEDIEVIAL -SP?- TIMES).

We are going to be at WDW over Thanksgiving, and I got the bright idea to get PS at HDDMR for our THANKSGIVING dinner. Our DS is 7, and I really think he's going to have a blast!

Kids don't care if the jokes are corney -- they laugh at just about anything, anyway! (They don't serve corn on the cob anymore?? Geesh, that's ONE food DS will eat!)

Yes the corn is now off the cob and even had green "stuff" in it. It tasted great but our picky DS would not even consider it. He did however love the chicken( this from a kid that only ate nuggets), ate a little of the ribs and ate a whole loaf of the bread. Your DS won't starve.

jordan's mom

Dd and I went when she was 4 and we both loved it, she can't wait to go back (we may go in April!). The food was great and although my dd loved what was served the CM offered her mac & cheese or pb&j as well.

Thanks for all the info and the enthusiasm....I have been wanting to go since the first time I went to WDW but it has never worked out. I was very disappointed to see the reviews in the tour books as I had always heard it was a blast. Now I am back to being excited about the experience.

Thanks again!!

Lisa

My theory is "GET ALL THE INFORMATION YOU CAN, THEN DO WHATEVER FITS!" Well, there's really more to it than that, but I am challenged when it comes to concise explanations...

It's something I picked up back in the "wedding planning" days, "new baby advice" days, "choosing a house" days, and on and on. DH & I made the realization that people like what they like for their very own, personal, and different reasons (duh!). It often turns out that WE like something for the very reason that someone else dislikes it, and vice-versa.

Anyway, my advice is to find out WHY people or reviewers gave something the "Thumbs down," (or sometimes "Thumbs up").

...and that's exactly what you did! I don't know what I'd do without resources such as this forum. I make a lot of "Disney decisions" based on what I read here!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :bounce: :bounce::bounce: :bounce:
:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :sunny: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

How long in advance did you make reservations? We are going in June and want to see the show. Help!

Make them today. The seats are assigned according to when you make the reservation. You can book up to two years out.

Jordan' mom

I made our reservations about 2 or 3 weeks ago (or, < a month in advance). I was surprised that they had openings during T/giving week, and that I was able to get ours for Thanksgiving! I just knew they'd be booked.

Count me as another one who LOVES the Hoop Dee Doo Review! The food is great, and the show is wonderfully funny. Watching my children rolling on the floor laughing, was almost as fun as watching the show itself.

Go and enjoy!

I've seen the show about 10 times and still love it. The CMs trade parts so you never know who is going to be who, but the routine stays the same. The show is a hoot and we find ourselves singing along and anticipating the punch lines. Yeah, it's corny, but we expect that and that's part of the fun. the variables are the "citizens" that are drafted from the audience. Their actions and reactions are always funny. This is our favorite show (not counting Cirque, of course). Go - eat - loosen up, and have a blast.

Thanks for all the tips and reviews. We have the last show booked for June 8th. I'm so excited!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter