HoJo vs. Park Vue Inn vs. Going Broke

I just wanted to chime in that your 14 y/o may not care so much for the HOJO water play area. Not that he couldn't play there too, but it is geared towards little kids. So I wouldn't make the water park the deciding reason to stay at HOJO.

I assume there are no maximum ages or heights? Would you say that it would still appeal to a teenager who likes smaller slides and dumping buckets and playing with a younger sister? Is the hot tub in the same area, and is there also a decent pool for swimming? We need lots of pool downtime, so this is a major factor for us in choosing a hotel, but the Disneyland hotels are out of our price range.

I assume there are no maximum ages or heights? Would you say that it would still appeal to a teenager who likes smaller slides and dumping buckets and playing with a younger sister? Is the hot tub in the same area, and is there also a decent pool for swimming? We need lots of pool downtime, so this is a major factor for us in choosing a hotel, but the Disneyland hotels are out of our price range.
I'd say it's best for kids under 10. I'm looking at pictures, and my 4 & 5 year old grandsons would be about the right age to play it in independently. There appears to be a hot tub next to it.

HoJo unless on property. Our eternal DLR rule. Their friendliness and level of customer service hasn't changed in all 15 years I've stayed there.

I'm sure he could enjoy it, but it's not very large. There is a double slide like you'd see at a park except this one pumps water, there is a longer slide they let our then 2 y/o ride, there is a dumping bucket and spray pipes, there is a small zero entry pool, and there is a hot tub. The regular pool is somewhere else on property.

No max ages or heights. DD is 9 and loves it. I have a feeling she'll love it for a few more years. I know I've seen kids a few years older than her having fun there. I think if playing with a younger sister is important it will still be fun for a teen in that respect. But maybe not fun for a teen by themselves. The hot tub is in the kid pool area. The normal pool is in front of building 2 and is a pretty nice pool for swimming. All ages can swim there. Lots of chairs to lay out on also.

Heres a pic of the normal pool from our room patio in building 6. Building 2 is the one you see in the pic.20160609_113139.jpeg

We usually stay at either DLH or GC but next time we go, December, we're staying at Park Vue. DD is 12 now so not as important to have a great pool, especially that time of year. Park Vue has good reviews and closer than DLH. Also free parking and breakfast. We're renting a car this time, so that's another plus for us. We're also going to Universal so the $ we save staying offsite will pay for that and all the extras we do.

We stayed at the HoJo this summer and loved it! The beds were super comfortable, and the walk didn't really bother us, as most nights we would want to get something to eat after we left the parks, and it was super easy to pop into panera or mcdonalds on our walk back to our room!

We're WDW vets ourselves and are making our first DLR trip next summer. We've always done the value resorts at WDW, manly because when we're there and we're awake, we're out at the parks or in DTD. We're at the resort to sleep, eat breakfast and occasionally in the summer for a mid day dip in the pool, then nap, then back to the parks. I assume we'll do the same at DLR.

Like you, I really struggled with whether to splurge on the DLH or stay off-site. We're from the east coast so this could be the one time we do DLR, so I eyed staying on-site. For us, though, it just came too close to breaking the bank to consider DLH. Everyone's finances are different, so I don't judge anyone's decision to do what they want, but for us having the flexibility to help our kids have a good time was a priority. We'll be travelling as 5 adults. Two of those are our adult kids who are both enlisted in the military. They both do well managing their money, but I know things are tight for them, so I try to help where I can. If we stayed at the DLH, it would probably mean eating beenie weenies for the week. :)

For us staying at the Best Western across the street allows us to get one room to share (I know it may be a little tight, but we'll make it work). The free breakfast is a big deal and will save everyone a little. We're driving out, so parking is another consideration ($10 per night versus $100+). Toss in Hydroguy's WDW thread, his knowledge of both WDW and DLR and his thoughts on staying off site and I thought staying offsite made the most sense for us. This will allow me to pick up the tab for a couple of nice meals and really enjoy ourselves without worry.

Good luck with your decision.
Thanks, Jeff. I'm right there with you! Can't wait to go. Enjoy your trip.

Stayed at both, overall prefer Hojo with family. The breakfast at Park Vue is garbage (we ate once and opted to pay for breakfast elsewhere) so I wouldn't count it for much more than really cheap "get what you pay for" free continental breakfast. However, as a couple the Park Vue Jacuzzi rooms are fantastic, but as a family with kids the Hojo space and multiple pools with lounge area are a clear winner. Also, the kids area keeps the bigger pool a little quieter for some adult time (aka pour a beer in a coffee travel mug and enjoy). Parking at the Hojo is free too and the spaces aren't as cramped as some of the hotels (less chance of dinging a rental car).

Stayed at both, overall prefer Hojo with family. The breakfast at Park Vue is garbage (we ate once and opted to pay for breakfast elsewhere) so I wouldn't count it for much more than really cheap "get what you pay for" free continental breakfast. However, as a couple the Park Vue Jacuzzi rooms are fantastic, but as a family with kids the Hojo space and multiple pools with lounge area are a clear winner. Also, the kids area keeps the bigger pool a little quieter for some adult time (aka pour a beer in a coffee travel mug and enjoy). Parking at the Hojo is free too and the spaces aren't as cramped as some of the hotels (less chance of dinging a rental car).

We actually thought for hotel breakfasts, Park Vue was pretty decent. Not high quality (no hotel continental breakfast is), but lots of options.

We actually thought for hotel breakfasts, Park Vue was pretty decent. Not high quality (no hotel continental breakfast is), but lots of options.
I agree on the options, but I felt that more didn't equal better in this case. Anytime we visit now we either go out for breakfast or simply pick up a few simple groceries (decent yogurt, quality deli meats, nice cheese, cold brew coffee and some fruit) and just eat in the room. I've had some great breakfasts at hotels (included), but all of them near the park are generally pretty bad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter