Hilton Head

BobH

DIS Veteran
I've seen Tommy Towery's website on Hilton Head. It is excellent. I have booked a week next May and was looking for any suggestions of things to do in Charleston and Savannah. I will probably do day trips to each. I am landing in Savannah so I'll probably eat there the first day. Any suggestions on favorite spots from anyone? Thanks for the help.

:confused: :jester: Just wondering about the Tommy Towery site as we are headed to HH for the Thanksgiving holiday week an d we will be looking for things to do.Thanks!

Plenty to see and do in Charleston...it is a quaint old sea town....the USS Yorktown, aircraft carrier, is there along with some other ships....Savannah is a good place to go also....

I am not a web whiz but I copied this site from this information board and this is what I have listed under properties for Tommy Towery's web site:

http://www.members.tripod.com/~ttowery

Good Luck with it!

Sorry had to edit the web address I forgot the . between members and tripod.

In Charleston, I would recommend one of the carriage rides. We started our day at the central tourism point - it's an old train station. That's where you can buy all of your tour tickets. There's a transportation system that you can buy a one-day pass for - which will get you everywhere. You can also buy your carriage tour tickets, there. Someone has recommended the restaurant at which we ate lunch on the board before, but, for the life of me, I can't remember what it's called. Something about ribs?!? Oh well - there's plenty of places to eat! We also enjoyed driving into the Citadel. You may get lucky and be able to catch some of them doing their drills out in the central courtyard - it was fun to watch. Be sure to drive down near the Coast Guard station, then up the stip along the water - there's some BEAUTIFUL houses to see there!

In Savannah, I would shoot for one of the seafood restaurants down on the water - they're all good, and are in a good location. We did the carriage tour here, also, and enjoyed it.

Wish I could offer you more specifics - it's been several years since we went. Stop by the front desk and get recommendations from them! Also be sure to get their driving directions to Savannah - there's a shortcut that saves you some time from driving all the way back out to I-95.

Also - if you have time - take a trip over to Beaufort. It's much closer than Charleston, and much smaller, but a very pretty town. There's a lighthouse a few miles out from there on a point in a state park - it's REALLY pretty. And, of course, there's Parris (sp?) Island. The day we went, we drove in and went right to the information center, then boarded a bus for a free tour of the facility. But, with the current situation, you probably won't be able to get on base. Let's all pray things are different when you go in May!

Finally - don't forget your Skin So Soft, or similar remedy. The no-see-ums are going to be tough that time of year! Have a great trip - we haven't been up there since '99 - I'm ready to go again!

Having lived in Charleston area just after college, I've got to let you in on a little secret. There was a restaurant on the intercoastal called Ronnie's (just take the bridge over to Mount Pleasant area). It was there when Hurricane Hugo blew through and I imagine they would have rebuilt it. The same family owned a seafood place directly across the street. My seafood lover friends raved about it.

So if you get to Charleston, check it out.

Laura

Beth & Laura than you for the great tips on Charleston, Savannah & Beaufort. We will look forward to all three destinations. I already provided myself as an entree to the no-see ums in Vero so I am very aware of that problem! Funny thing is that I did use the skin so soft and it didn't work. I wonder if the date on the skin so soft maters. I believe mine was a year or so old.

Savannah has a favorite spot called Mrs.Wilkes where people love to eat. We also liked the Lady and Sons for Southern cuizine. The Pirate's Inn is a great place too. (Try the Pecan Chicken there!) For fun, (if you are not too much of a prude) the Saturday night show at Club One is a hoot but not for the light-hearted. You should read or see Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil before you visit Savannah, since many of the tours talk about the book and point out the sites. Club One was famous for the Lady Chablis.

No trip to Charleston would be complete without a visit to Ft. Sumter, and there are many good places to eat. We stayed at the Cannonborough Inn while there on our honeymoon and will return there for our 1st anniversary next year.

Thanks for the suggestions, and again my compliments on your website.I also just read in Conde Nast Travelers Magazine that both Charleston and Savannah are two of the top destinations in the USA. My wife & I are looking forward to our visit next May.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter