HHI Reflections

hmansure

DIS Veteran
Just returned from a week at HHI. This was probably our 6th visit since 1996 and at one point I took a few moments to reflect on some of the changes over the years.

First of all - the weather was unusually dry for the summer. Only one T-Storm and that was halfway through the Shrimp Boil at the Beach House. Other than that - hot & sunny.

Obviously over the years, as the units sold, the sales presence has disappeared. I remember our first visit - DVC reps were everywhere, a guard at the gate, etc. I think the Disney sign on 278 that used to be right before Harbourside Lane is now even gone.

We arrived around 12PM and a room was ready - pool view, second level (#2521). We never make specific room requests now that we don't need to specifically request non-smoking. We usually get lucky, arrive early, and take what comes up. This time, I felt, we were pretty lucky with the pool view.

I've seen a lot of posts about HHI parking. We always found a nice spot - we try to grab an end space because the spots are so small and the size of cars/SUVs we all drive are HUGE! Parking wouldn't be as big an issue there if people actually parked "better". Cars/vans taking up 2, even 3 spots was something we saw often.

We saw the usual chair/table "holding" at the pool everyday. From our view we actually were able to see people come in a leave their towels and so forth. One family actually would "reserve" two tables - one in the sun and another in the shade. On the days we went to the main pool - we were there early enough and never had a problem getting a chair or two. The resort was supposedly at 96% capacity, but it never really seemed that way except for the Star Bangled Tuesday night thing.

One or two families consistently challenged the no-smoking rule at the pool. One family tried to hide near the table by the kiddie-pool - which I thought was in poor form really (being next to the little kids). Someone must not have appreciated it though because as soon as they lit up a CM would come along.

The activities have changed a bit over the years. Haven't seen Goofy Bingo in the summer for awhile now!! Our kids really enjoyed making the pillows or should I say watching their parents and CM make their pillows! Watch out for that one - it's a lot of work (cutting and tying)! Many of the activities were not well attended though. My DS (8) and I were the only ones to go on a marsh walk for example. Dolphin cruise was great and the kayaking was also fun.

Room condition was okay. Carpets showing some wear, but overall they have kept up with most maintenance over the years. A couple of bulbs out and the hot tub had sand in it. Was it cleaned or perhaps the sand just didn't drain? I guess the previous guests didn't shower after leaving the beach or something.

All-in-all - the usual great, relaxing time. Most of the CMs were friendly, but there were a couple who didn't seem too happy to be there. One CM just seemed too "militant" at the lifeguard stand and in the few activities we saw her at.

After we left it was on to The Charleston Place Hotel for a few days. That was a whole other adventure that will be posted separately. Many, many issues came up - starting with a lost reservation.

I guess the previous guests didn't shower after leaving the beach or something.

some people are just plain :confused3

One CM just seemed too "militant" at the lifeguard stand and in the few activities we saw her at

She is nice though, just really brawny, and loud.

[

Room condition was okay. Carpets showing some wear, but overall they have kept up with most maintenance over the years. A couple of bulbs out and the hot tub had sand in it. Was it cleaned or perhaps the sand just didn't drain? I guess the previous guests didn't shower after leaving the beach or something.

All-in-all - the usual great, relaxing time. Most of the CMs were friendly, but there were a couple who didn't seem too happy to be there. One CM just seemed too "militant" at the lifeguard stand and in the few activities we saw her at.

After we left it was on to The Charleston Place Hotel for a few days. That was a whole other adventure that will be posted separately. Many, many issues came up - starting with a lost reservation.[/QUOTE]

I thought HH was great with the exception of the pool slide closing at 5pm everyday! I thought it was not open late enough.

HH is one of our home resorts and we have only been there once. We just booked a trip for the end of June 2008. We got a 1 bdrm for us and a studio for my parents. I love the marsh view and the laid back atmosphere. My mom is going to LOVE it there!

Goofy Bingo was alive and well at HHI last November!

We bought ppoints at HH after our first visit in 2001, but haven't been back since...

We've used the points for other trades or rented them. We always intended for it to be a relax stop on any car trips to WDW, but with the price of gas, etc. we haven't taken a road trip to WDW from NJ since 1995! So that part of the plan didn't work out. :confused3

I scheduled a trip at the end of June 2008 to see if it still fits our needs, now with 5yo DS. If we like it, we'll keep the points. If not, look for our listing on The Timeshare Store to make money for our Grand Californian purchase. :surfweb:

We bought ppoints at HH after our first visit in 2001, but haven't been back since...

We've used the points for other trades or rented them. We always intended for it to be a relax stop on any car trips to WDW, but with the price of gas, etc. we haven't taken a road trip to WDW from NJ since 1995! So that part of the plan didn't work out. :confused3

I scheduled a trip at the end of June 2008 to see if it still fits our needs, now with 5yo DS. If we like it, we'll keep the points. If not, look for our listing on The Timeshare Store to make money for our Grand Californian purchase. :surfweb:

We bought our HH points back when it opened in '96 and stayed there 3 times before 2000, but aside from a New Year's Eve weekend trip we didn't go back again until 2005.

I know what you mean about the price of gas and car trips from central NJ! The trip down to South Carolina isn't that bad though. We're headed down to WDW during "Jersey Week" and scored a great fare on US Air ($98/rt) - just keeping our fingers crossed that US Air keeps our luggage with us!!

Hi! We are leaving Mon for HHI and my ds wants to know if there is a basketball goal?? We have been there once, but it was 3 years ago and I don't remember! Anyone know??? Thanks for any help!

Hi! We are leaving Mon for HHI and my ds wants to know if there is a basketball goal?? We have been there once, but it was 3 years ago and I don't remember! Anyone know??? Thanks for any help!

Yes there is a basketball court at the resort. You can borrow balls from the rental window. We didn't even realize it was there until we biked past it one day.

The basketball goal is regulation and can be lowered down to about 4 feet.

Glad you had a good time!
We did Goofy bingo last July and I'm hoping they will have it when we're there in 2 weeks!:)

HH is one of our home resorts and we have only been there once. We just booked a trip for the end of June 2008. We got a 1 bdrm for us and a studio for my parents. I love the marsh view and the laid back atmosphere. My mom is going to LOVE it there!

Did you consider getting a 2 bedroom lock-off? I'm not sure if HHI has them, but I booked one for my sister's family and my parents. It is basically a 1 bedroom with a studio that you can lock off from it (with it's own entrance). It takes fewer points than a 1 bedroom plus a studio and you can be guaranteed to be right next to each other.

when I was there this past week and inquired at check in about whether our assigned room was a lockoff or dedicated 2B, the front desk CM seemed puzzled. after an explanation of the difference between the two (from me to her), she said all the 2B there are dedicated.

when I was there this past week and inquired at check in about whether our assigned room was a lockoff or dedicated 2B, the front desk CM seemed puzzled. after an explanation of the difference between the two (from me to her), she said all the 2B there are dedicated.

There are 21 lock-off 2BR villas - but MS will not reserve them as 2BRs unless you need an accessible 2BR. There are no dedicated Studios or 1BR villas - so those lock-offs are "saved" for Studio and 1BR reservations - except for HCA needs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter