Here now - little to no COVID precautions

3darlings

DIS Veteran
We arrived today and we are shocked at the lack of COVID precautions here. It is as Universal is trying hard to pretend that there is no pandemic going on - and this is in COVID central FL! The only things they seem to be doing is most (but not all) employees are wearing masks and there are signs up saying we encourage you to wear masks and wash your hands frequently. Also, there are announcements saying the same thing but adding social distancing. And then they go and fill all the rides vehicles/rows/compartments to capacity. The lines have no plastic dividers and everyone is crammed together with no social distancing. And on top of that, at least 80% of the people are NOT wearing masks. Velocicoaster was the worst - we were all crammed together, great majority not masked, with no fans or air flow. And then single riders, most unmasked, are added.

By the time we hit Howarts Express, I was totally fed up. They were filling the compartments to capacity (8), and our row had a group of 5 unmasked people (with kids). So I went up to the worker allocating the rows, and asked to be in a different row. She said sure and put us in our own row/compartment. From then on I asked to wait or move if we were placed with unmasked people. All the workers were accommodating but you had to ask.

Oh and I forgot to mention that all the hand sanitizer machines placed in and around the rides/shops were almost always empty. Luckily I keep a small bottle of sanitizer in my pocket. We also never saw anyone wiping anything down at all. The 3D glasses were just out in trays with everyone just grabbing them.

The crowds are not terrible but heavier than expected. City walk is a zoo. And again, at least 80% are not wearing masks. Anyway, we are very disappointed that Universal is doing so little on precautions. I am glad we are only here for a short visit. We are doing our best (double masks, etc), but it is hard to believe that Universal is not a petri dish for COVID.

That is so disappointing! We went last year in September and were so impressed by all the precautions they were taking. We felt very safe. We ended up buying APs and are headed back next week, and I am very nervous. We'll definitely be wearing masks and sanitizing! Thank you for the tip about waiting for a separate compartment, will definitely be doing that!

Considering that masks are "encouraged" but not mandatory, I felt like there was a pretty decent masking rate. I would say more than half of guests are wearing masks indoors. It's enough that I felt uncomfortable the day I forgot my mask because I felt like I was not following the majority.

Considering that masks are "encouraged" but not mandatory, I felt like there was a pretty decent masking rate. I would say more than half of guests are wearing masks indoors. It's enough that I felt uncomfortable the day I forgot my mask because I felt like I was not following the majority.
We went to universal past two days and I agree with this regarding indoor mask usage, i thought there was a decent amount wearing outside as well - and it was hot! I didn’t expect to see that many people wearing them outside.

I booked our trip because I was encourage by reports of what a good job Universal was doing early in the pandemic. But they definitely seem to be happy to take advantage of the business being driven their way by guests disgruntled with Disney's more cautious masking policies. I also notice that there hasn't been a peep from Universal about requiring their staff to receive the vaccine. At this point, whether or not we keep our reservation will depend on which variant is slamming into Florida at the time and whether we can get our kids vaccinated before our trip (which seems to be unlikely). I'm not going to put the health of my kids in the hands of a giant corporation that seems to be laser focused on recouping their pandemic losses above all else. But who knows, at the rate Florida is going, the state might have herd immunity by December.

We were at Universal twice this year. I noticed that for the HE, if you came up to the queue wearing your mask, they seated you in a cabin by yourself - if you came up to the queue without a mask, they seated you with others. Nothing was said about it, we just noticed that was how folks were being lined up.

Universal never went back to requiring masks again after they - and Disney - dropped that requirement back in mid/late May. Current protocols are - and always have been - listed on their website & the UO app.

We did 2 trips - Aug 2020 & May 2021 - when the mask mandate was in effect & had a great time with no issues 👍

Last edited:
We arrived today and we are shocked at the lack of COVID precautions here. It is as Universal is trying hard to pretend that there is no pandemic going on - and this is in COVID central FL! The only things they seem to be doing is most (but not all) employees are wearing masks and there are signs up saying we encourage you to wear masks and wash your hands frequently. Also, there are announcements saying the same thing but adding social distancing. And then they go and fill all the rides vehicles/rows/compartments to capacity. The lines have no plastic dividers and everyone is crammed together with no social distancing. And on top of that, at least 80% of the people are NOT wearing masks. Velocicoaster was the worst - we were all crammed together, great majority not masked, with no fans or air flow. And then single riders, most unmasked, are added.

By the time we hit Howarts Express, I was totally fed up. They were filling the compartments to capacity (8), and our row had a group of 5 unmasked people (with kids). So I went up to the worker allocating the rows, and asked to be in a different row. She said sure and put us in our own row/compartment. From then on I asked to wait or move if we were placed with unmasked people. All the workers were accommodating but you had to ask.

Oh and I forgot to mention that all the hand sanitizer machines placed in and around the rides/shops were almost always empty. Luckily I keep a small bottle of sanitizer in my pocket. We also never saw anyone wiping anything down at all. The 3D glasses were just out in trays with everyone just grabbing them.

The crowds are not terrible but heavier than expected. City walk is a zoo. And again, at least 80% are not wearing masks. Anyway, we are very disappointed that Universal is doing so little on precautions. I am glad we are only here for a short visit. We are doing our best (double masks, etc), but it is hard to believe that Universal is not a petri dish for COVID.

I understand your frustration, but did you not check out the mask/covid requirements before you booked? This is the way it is at this time at Universal.
If you aren't comfortable then maybe Universal or other parks is not for you at this time.

A bit of personal research and reading on these boards before your trip would have gone a long way to deciding if Universal was within your comfort level.....

Universal regularly revises their Covid policies/precautions on the website.

It's been no secret that Universal has backed off of their Covid rules/precautions. Masks were optional for vaccinated guests beginning the end of May 2021. Distance markers removed, all rides filled to capacity, restaurants allowing more inside diners, etc.

I was thrilled when we went in June that I didn't have to mask up in the hot summer weather! But we're all vaccinated, so we had no issue with that.

Thank you
I could not have said it better

If posters don’t like the way UO is handling the parks with covid, don’t go.
Don’t feel safe, don’t go.

Write UO a note but let’s keep the discussion simple and avoid rants on UO policy in the threads.

Again....If you feel you are not safe, don’t go to UO

This thread will not be a discussion for a sounding board.

Macraven

We were at Universal twice this year. I noticed that for the HE, if you came up to the queue wearing your mask, they seated you in a cabin by yourself - if you came up to the queue without a mask, they seated you with others. Nothing was said about it, we just noticed that was how folks were being lined up.

We went right before the latest CDC announcement. We were wearing masks indoors and in crowded areas. We noticed on HE that they tended to put parties with masks together. Could have been a fluke though. We were glad. We are vaxed, but it was just more comfortable that way. We actually had a good time. I know I felt way better on this trip than our Thanksgiving 2020 trip. I was so tired at the end of the day with mentally thinking about the people around me. I actually felt like I was just done with the parks. We would have canceled this recent trip if our son hadn't been vaccinated.

Going solo in Oct, haven't been since Feb 2020. It looks like I will be able to get a 3rd booster in Sept, as it seems they are soon changing the recommendation to 6 months after 2nd shot. I will definitely be wearing a mask if I feel uncomfortable. HE is always a crowded space. Still looking forward to it.

And then they go and fill all the rides vehicles/rows/compartments to capacity. The lines have no plastic dividers and everyone is crammed together with no social distancing. And on top of that, at least 80% of the people are NOT wearing masks.
Yep, that pretty much ticks off the boxes for our early July trip. Knew it would be so, made the decision to go. not being flip, we are fully vaccinated Careful as to generally adhering to suggested pandemic behavior
By the time we hit Howarts Express, I was totally fed up
Will say, even though I know hogwarts is generally cheek to cheek, wasn’t expecting the lack of personal space. Much more crowded than early May trip
5AA7C854-A6A5-4D94-B0BB-48DD67732E16.jpeg

We did 2 trips - Aug 2020 & May 2021 - when the mask mandate was in effect & had a great time with no issues
We ran into boat issues in July. They admitted to being short staffed. Weren’t expecting the throngs. Hotels were completely sold out
A786812C-7697-4B70-A09A-76EEA92543FA.jpeg
Not going to argue any side of this, but at the end of the day you are going to a theme park during a pandemic

The rules are posted and its your choice to go or not
So true. However, a park or any establishment really should do their best to enforce any edicts/protocols they do prominently post IMO

it appeared to be a work in progress in July. I expect things to run a bit smoother in the fall. all will have had time to acclimate to things, both staff & guests.

Last edited:
So today was our second day. Nothing really changed (masks still about 20%) but the employees were less accommodating. My problem is not really the masks because you know that going in (but still shocking to see so many people without them) although I think it is nuts to bring clearly unvaccinated kids into a theme park with no mask. It is cramming masked and unmasked people together when there really was no reason to do so. There was constant announcements saying guests are encouraged to socially distance when at the same time the employees are telling people to fill in every available space and cramming people people into to every available seat even if lines were short. It is so hypocritical to do that when those announcements are constantly running. I called one of the workers out on it on Ripsaw Falls when she decided to stuff a single rider into our row. The line was only 5 min and it was so unnecessary. She shrugged but she ultimately did move him. My problem with Universal is their complete disregard for precautions - again most of the hand sanitizer machines were empty by noon and not refilled and nobody wipes down anything. It is clear that the mighty dollar is all they care about even if they run constant messages saying how concerned they are for our safety. We were also here last Nov and Feb and we felt completely safe but it is 180 degrees different now.

And, off topic, but almost all the rides stopped/malfunctioned today when we were waiting in line or on them. On FJ, it stopped when we were on our backs and tipped backwards. That was an uncomfortable 5 minutes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter