• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

We’re heading out of town now. Flight delayed, so gotta do something!

mother/son (13 yo) trip, 3/24-28, stayed at shades of green, which is across from (behind?) the Polynesian. Park days were MK (weds ), HS (thurs), EP (fri), AK (sat), HS(sun) we had park hoppers.

General impressions regarding common concerns- wait times for big rides were consistently 1 hour + mid-day. If you plan to ride many rides or have short waits, early arrival or staying till close are a MUST. Due to aforementioned teenager, we only made it to Epcot anywhere near park open, but we did stay till close most nights. Ride time dropped significantly in the last two hours of the night.

Mask compliance was very good, IMO. Most of the CM reminders I witnessed were either little kids or people trying to do maskless pics. No one was out of line on either side of those interactions.

Transport was hit or miss. We used Poly buses most often, and the one we needed was always the one that didn’t show for ages, lol! They were great about distancing, except in one case, but the people that got sat kinda close both agreed.

Crowds were normal. Maybe capacity was reduced, but with the limited offerings, many people were out in the streets, so to speak, so crowd levels looked the same. Distancing in lines seemed a moot point because at all other times, people were close, like any other day.

Things I found annoying: mobile order for almost everything. Want a blue milk? Mobile order. Dole whip? Mobile order, even when there’s no one else in line. Frustrating for us Apple uses constantly inputting passcode because facial recognition doesn’t work for masks. Also, stores have limited capacity, and there were occasionally lines to get in, and usually one entrance (most doors were marked exit only), which was sometimes hard to find. Food and Wine was busy and crowded like usual, but super annoying because there was no walking and eating, and a shady, distance space was tough to find.

We usually only go every couple years. With that being said, I was glad this wasn’t a whole-family trip. I think frustrations would’ve mounted. We will probably wait till all is relatively normal again before returning, but we weren’t upset we went.

Hey friends, I'm here on property and tomorrow I need some help with how to strategize the morning at Hollywood Studios.

We are going to drive there by car and want to be there at the gate at 8am, an hour before the 9am official park opening. As we are driving, I'm worried that we won't be allowed to park our cars in the lot at 8am and that we'll wind up sitting in a queue and miss the rope drop.

Anyone know how things work at HS for rope droppers arriving by rental car? Will they let us in at 8am to park, walk to the gate, and line up with the rope droppers?

Thanks.

Merging your question with the 'Here Now and Just Back' thread as a lot of people are on there and have up to date information.

Also, you should be fine at 8:00 but if it's recently been different they'll know for sure!

Hey friends, I'm here on property and tomorrow I need some help with how to strategize the morning at Hollywood Studios.

We are going to drive there by car and want to be there at the gate at 8am, an hour before the 9am official park opening. As we are driving, I'm worried that we won't be allowed to park our cars in the lot at 8am and that we'll wind up sitting in a queue and miss the rope drop.

Anyone know how things work at HS for rope droppers arriving by rental car? Will they let us in at 8am to park, walk to the gate, and line up with the rope droppers?

Thanks.

You will be allowed through the toll booth at the same time the temp checks are open, so the ones walking and maybe a few bus/skyliner riders will beat you in, but by the time you park and walk, they should be mostly through, so you won't have to stand in much of a line, instead you'll just walk through.

Thanks.
In our experience there's no way to be in the first groups of ppl in dhs by driving. When we went a couple weeks ago, walkers, skyliner and buses all arrived in time for temp check rooe drop...not a car or ppl walking from lot in sight. I have no idea when they eventually made it to the temp checks, but they definitely weren't in the first 1000 ppl or so getting in.

Thanks.

Our experience may have been atypical in December, but we arrived just after 9 for a 10 am opening and they started letting cars through about 10 minutes later. As we drove in, the skyliner was stopped and started up about the time we parked. There was a line for temp checks, but it moved quickly. While we weren’t the first group in, MMRR was essentially a walk on, except for a 5-10 minute wait before they started up.

Can you currently use a luggage cart from bell services to take your luggage to your room or do you need to have them do it for you?

We just got ROTR boarding group #34, yay!

The park opens at 9 AM… What time do you think we will be called? Not sure if we can run over to some of the other rides and risk missing our ROTR boarding group.

Thanks!

Congrats on the Rise Boarding Group!

You have an HOUR to get to Rise after your group is called, so you have time to ride other rides for sure! I got Boarding Group 7 last month and was able to ride Mickey and Minnie before my group was called. So you should have time to knock out at least one or two rides. Maybe head to Toy Story and do Slinky and Toy Story Mania - then stroll through Galaxy's edge from there

We just got ROTR boarding group #34, yay!

The park opens at 9 AM… What time do you think we will be called? Not sure if we can run over to some of the other rides and risk missing our ROTR boarding group.

Thanks!
Park is open at 8:15 today. I am on property and every day there is a message saying parks are open 45 min early. My question is does this apply to BlizzardBeach.

It’s 5am here in CA, and our flight leaves today at 1pm our time. The rest of my family is still sleeping, but I’ve been a (widely awake) bundle of nerves since about 1:30am (which, I figure, may not be such a bad thing, since it’ll probably help me fall asleep better tonight, once on east coast time—assuming I manage to stay awake on the plane). So, since I’m up anyhow, I figure I’ll share my touring plans with you (I’m posting this here and in my individual prep thread, so if you’re seeing it twice, I’m sorry… don’t mean to spam the board… I just figure that both threads may have different people following them, and the more feedback I can get the better!!!). We are DL regulars, but this is our first time at WDW as a family, so I appreciate any feedback. Please, critique away!

Overall, we do have some “must do” rides but are also planning on having a good amount of time for just walking around, people-watching, and enjoying the theming. We have one ADR but are planning to mostly do counter service. We’re staying at ALL STAR MOVIES and don’t have a rental car. We are planning to mostly use Disney bus transportation (as well as UBER/Lyft for Friday, our Universal day). We don’t have hoppers, and our park reservations are: HS on Tuesday, EPCOT on Wednesday, and MK on Thursday.

Monday, March 29. Expected touchdown at MCO 9:15pm. Find ME pickup (got my ME reservation number and our magic bands ready). Use MDE for online check-in while en route to the hotel. Once there, get the kids settled, while I go to the front desk with my list of questions (e.g. when does the first bus leaves, where’s the bus stop, what are good pick up spots for UBER/Lyft). Schedule our Friday ride with UBER or Lyft (whichever app may be easier to figure out—this whole ride share thing is new to me; I did download both apps—and whichever service gives up the best “new customer discount”). Lay out clothes and fanny pack (plus maybe a small backpack, if all the wipes and hand sanitizer and various masks end up being too much for the latter) for the next day.

All the times are preliminary and may be adjusted according to what I find out about the bus schedule when talking to the front desk people on our arrival evening. I remember hearing the general 1.5 hrs before opening rule of thumb but don’t know if that’s a pre-COVID time line and if we should be there earlier, given the whole physical distancing on buses business.

TUESDAY MARCH 30: Get up 6am? ROTR Boarding Pass 7am!!!!!! Be at bus stop by 7:30 (adjust based on front desk info)? Get into park. Speed-walk to Tower of Terror (one of our absolute must-dos, since the ride has been re-themed at DL and my kids are eager to experience the original (too bad about the pre-show being affected by COVID). Get into the line for Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster (I’m so scared of that one, because I’m a coaster wimp, but I am doing the “little train that could” thing and am telling myself that “I think I can, I think I can, I think… I’m OK with California Adventure’s Incredicoaster and can do loop-di-loops as long as they’re fast—I am terrified of any kind of slow inversions”)

(adjust, depending on ROTR Boarding Pass, if any, return time). After getting off, check wait times for other rides on app and look for breakfast (Ronto Roasters? Woody’s Lunch Box? ABC Commissary? Backlot Express? Walk around, look for stuff, and continue to check wait times. If we didn’t get a boarding pass for ROTR earlier, try again at 1pm. If we did get a boarding pass for ROTR earlier, figure that in (if there’s a conflict with our 2:05 ADR, check in with guest services, just to make sure we’re ok and to ask if they can reschedule our boarding passes accordingly). 2:05pm ADR at Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater (we’re so excited about having gotten that one; everything was out when we first tried, but somebody canceled theirs and my reservation finder came through!). After lunch, continue to walk around and check wait times. Consider riding M&MRR, ST, TSMM, MFSR. Neither of us is a big Toy Story fan, so we don’t know if Slinky is worth the often long wait. We’ll see how we’re doing towards the end of the evening. Maybe we’re making it our last ride of the day? Depending on when everybody gets hungry, fit dinner in the park in there somehow (Docking Bay 7 or Rosie’s?). If we don’t get hungry until late, consider mobile ordering from World Premiere Food Court on the way back and eating in our hotel room.

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 31: Get up 6:30am (again, exact time depends on what we find out about bus schedules). Mobile order breakfast. Eat at hotel (or, if there’s no seating, in the room). Bus 9:30am? Speed-walk to Test Track. Then check out which other rides are open. We are interested in Spaceship Earth, Living with the Land, and Figment. Maybe Nemo and the Grand Fiesta ride thingie. We are also intrigued by Mission Space Orange (but wondering how to exactly schedule that one to have a break afterwards in case one of us gets nauseated from it). It’s ok if we miss Soaring. Neither of us cares much about Frozen, so that’s one less long wait right there. We figure we’ll ride in the morning and evening, when lines will hopefully be on the short end, and spend the middle of the day checking out the pavilions and the Flower and Garden Festival and eating all the snacks. We’re planning to have dinner at some point at Katsura Grill (with me mobile ordering from Regal Eagle—because, BBQ!!!). We’re not married to a particular dinner time; we’re just trying to avoid the big dinner rush, so it’ll probably be earlier or later than the main dinner crowds.

THURSDAY, APRIL 1: Try to get the first bus to MK (again, check at front desk when that one leaves and how early to be there). Hoof it to Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and ride it if the wait is 45 minutes or less). If open, ride Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, Haunted Mansion, Carousel of Progress. Scavenge for snacks (Gaston’s, Friar’s Nook, Sleepy Hollow, etc.?), whenever hungry. Consider Cosmic Ray’s for either lunch or dinner (hopefully avoiding main crowds through creative scheduling and eating either earlier or later than most other guests). Walk around and take it all in. Check wait times on app and ride whatever seems not too long of a wait (Buzz? Big Thunder?). Explore Adventureland. Ride Jungle Cruise. End the day with a Dole Whip.

FRIDAY, APRIL 2: Meet up with UBER or Lyft driver. Try to be at Universal around 7:15am. Get through security and line up at turnstiles (we won’t have either early admission or express pass, so we figure being close to the front of the non-early admission line can’t hurt). Check on Hagrid’s VL spots starting around 7:30 (I checked the app over the past couple of weeks and that first drop seems to happen any time between 7:30 and 8:02). Get the latest one possible (11-11:30?). 8am—walk swiftly to Gringotts. Mummy. Men in Black. Back to Hogwarts Express station (watch wait times). If we’re off MIB early and HE lines are short, walk around a little (otherwise do that later in the afternoon). Take Hogwarts Express to Islands of Adventure (ask team member if capacity issues may be an issues if the line to come back is long and we choose to walk—I talked to a team member by phone about this earlier this week and she said it wouldn’t be a problem, but I’m a big one on double-checking on stuff like that). Late breakfast or early lunch at Three Broomsticks (get in line and mobile order from there once we’re getting close to being seated). If we did NOT get a Hagrid’s VL spot, try again at 11am drop. After brunch (?), walk around Hogsmeade, checking wait times for Forbidden Journey and Spiderman. Explore the Lost Continent & other areas that look interesting. Ride Forbidden Journey whenever 45 mins or less. Ride Spiderman whenever 45 mins or less. Check Hogwarts Express wait times. In the late afternoon, decide if we want to take HE back or walk. If we’re hungry, snack at Mardi Gras food festival booths. Explore Diagon Alley. Have a late dinner at the Leaky Cauldron. If anything has relatively short wait times, ride it. Call UBER or Lyft to get back to the hotel.

SATURDAY, APRIL 3: Drag our utterly exhausted bodies to the airport. Sleep on the plane.

Our experience may have been atypical in December, but we arrived just after 9 for a 10 am opening and they started letting cars through about 10 minutes later. As we drove in, the skyliner was stopped and started up about the time we parked. There was a line for temp checks, but it moved quickly. While we weren’t the first group in, MMRR was essentially a walk on, except for a 5-10 minute wait before they started up.
In december it did seem they were letting cars in earlier. We were there Christmas week and we always saw the cars being let in as our bus drove by for both HS and AK. I have been twice since then, latest was 2 weeks ago, and they didn't start letting cars in until after onsite guests were already in. We walked to HS and not a car in sight, we got MMRR and all of TSL in before crowds showed up and we heard people complaining about how late they opened the lot, which was pretty much what my other DD and I experienced Presidents day weekend as well. They are definitely changing how they do opening regularly in that regard.

TUESDAY MARCH 30: Get up 6am? ROTR Boarding Pass 7am!!!!!! Be at bus stop by 7:30 (adjust based on front desk info)? Get into park. Speed-walk to Tower of Terror (one of our absolute must-dos, since the ride has been re-themed at DL and my kids are eager to experience the original (too bad about the pre-show being affected by COVID).

Get into the line for Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster (I’m so scared of that one, because I’m a coaster wimp, but I am doing the “little train that could” thing and am telling myself that “I think I can, I think I can, I think… I’m OK with California Adventure’s Incredicoaster and can do loop-di-loops as long as they’re fast—I am terrified of any kind of slow inversions”)

After getting off, check wait times for other rides on app and look for breakfast (Ronto Roasters? Woody’s Lunch Box? ABC Commissary? Backlot Express? Walk around, look for stuff, and continue to check wait times.

Consider riding M&MRR, ST, TSMM, MFSR. Neither of us is a big Toy Story fan, so we don’t know if Slinky is worth the often long wait. We’ll see how we’re doing towards the end of the evening. Maybe we’re making it our last ride of the day?

A few comments for you:

I think buses may start at 7:15, but definitely check the front desk to see. For DHS you definitely want to be on that first bus!

If TOT is a priority, then go there first. Depending on how close the front of the pack you are at arrival, I might consider knocking out MMRR first since waits there will build quickly. TOT/RNR will not build quite as quickly. However, that's only if you are within the first couple hundred in the park and MMRR is running. Otherwise, getting to TOT/RNR to beat waits there is a good idea.

I am also a roller coaster wimp, but I can handle the inversions at RNR. The whole ride is over quickly, and I feel like you are honestly through the first inversion before you even really realize it. If you can handle quick inversions you should be fine.

Waits drop for ST sooner than the others you mentioned. TSMM will also drop sooner than the others. Last hour or so of operation is best for MFSR and Slinky unless you go in the beginning. Slinky is WAY better at night with the lights on, IMHO. And if going at the end of the night, be prepared for inflated wait times.

Also, with mobile order, you want to pick a time window when you arrive at the park so you aren't left with a time an hour or two later than when you are hungry. Especially with a 2 pm Sci-Fi reservation, I would probably try to make it for an earlier window.

Hope you have a great time!

Can you currently use a luggage cart from bell services to take your luggage to your room or do you need to have them do it for you?

For what hotel? At the values (Pop and Movies), we were able to borrow one. Just sign it out/in at bell services. At the Dolphin, we were not. Bell services must use it for you.

It’s 5am here in CA, and our flight leaves today at 1pm our time. The rest of my family is still sleeping, but I’ve been a (widely awake) bundle of nerves since about 1:30am (which, I figure, may not be such a bad thing, since it’ll probably help me fall asleep better tonight, once on east coast time—assuming I manage to stay awake on the plane). So, since I’m up anyhow, I figure I’ll share my touring plans with you (I’m posting this here and in my individual prep thread, so if you’re seeing it twice, I’m sorry… don’t mean to spam the board… I just figure that both threads may have different people following them, and the more feedback I can get the better!!!). We are DL regulars, but this is our first time at WDW as a family, so I appreciate any feedback. Please, critique away!

Overall, we do have some “must do” rides but are also planning on having a good amount of time for just walking around, people-watching, and enjoying the theming. We have one ADR but are planning to mostly do counter service. We’re staying at ALL STAR MOVIES and don’t have a rental car. We are planning to mostly use Disney bus transportation (as well as UBER/Lyft for Friday, our Universal day). We don’t have hoppers, and our park reservations are: HS on Tuesday, EPCOT on Wednesday, and MK on Thursday.

Monday, March 29. Expected touchdown at MCO 9:15pm. Find ME pickup (got my ME reservation number and our magic bands ready). Use MDE for online check-in while en route to the hotel. Once there, get the kids settled, while I go to the front desk with my list of questions (e.g. when does the first bus leaves, where’s the bus stop, what are good pick up spots for UBER/Lyft). Schedule our Friday ride with UBER or Lyft (whichever app may be easier to figure out—this whole ride share thing is new to me; I did download both apps—and whichever service gives up the best “new customer discount”). Lay out clothes and fanny pack (plus maybe a small backpack, if all the wipes and hand sanitizer and various masks end up being too much for the latter) for the next day.

All the times are preliminary and may be adjusted according to what I find out about the bus schedule when talking to the front desk people on our arrival evening. I remember hearing the general 1.5 hrs before opening rule of thumb but don’t know if that’s a pre-COVID time line and if we should be there earlier, given the whole physical distancing on buses business.

TUESDAY MARCH 30: Get up 6am? ROTR Boarding Pass 7am!!!!!! Be at bus stop by 7:30 (adjust based on front desk info)? Get into park. Speed-walk to Tower of Terror (one of our absolute must-dos, since the ride has been re-themed at DL and my kids are eager to experience the original (too bad about the pre-show being affected by COVID). Get into the line for Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster (I’m so scared of that one, because I’m a coaster wimp, but I am doing the “little train that could” thing and am telling myself that “I think I can, I think I can, I think… I’m OK with California Adventure’s Incredicoaster and can do loop-di-loops as long as they’re fast—I am terrified of any kind of slow inversions”)

(adjust, depending on ROTR Boarding Pass, if any, return time). After getting off, check wait times for other rides on app and look for breakfast (Ronto Roasters? Woody’s Lunch Box? ABC Commissary? Backlot Express? Walk around, look for stuff, and continue to check wait times. If we didn’t get a boarding pass for ROTR earlier, try again at 1pm. If we did get a boarding pass for ROTR earlier, figure that in (if there’s a conflict with our 2:05 ADR, check in with guest services, just to make sure we’re ok and to ask if they can reschedule our boarding passes accordingly). 2:05pm ADR at Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater (we’re so excited about having gotten that one; everything was out when we first tried, but somebody canceled theirs and my reservation finder came through!). After lunch, continue to walk around and check wait times. Consider riding M&MRR, ST, TSMM, MFSR. Neither of us is a big Toy Story fan, so we don’t know if Slinky is worth the often long wait. We’ll see how we’re doing towards the end of the evening. Maybe we’re making it our last ride of the day? Depending on when everybody gets hungry, fit dinner in the park in there somehow (Docking Bay 7 or Rosie’s?). If we don’t get hungry until late, consider mobile ordering from World Premiere Food Court on the way back and eating in our hotel room.

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 31: Get up 6:30am (again, exact time depends on what we find out about bus schedules). Mobile order breakfast. Eat at hotel (or, if there’s no seating, in the room). Bus 9:30am? Speed-walk to Test Track. Then check out which other rides are open. We are interested in Spaceship Earth, Living with the Land, and Figment. Maybe Nemo and the Grand Fiesta ride thingie. We are also intrigued by Mission Space Orange (but wondering how to exactly schedule that one to have a break afterwards in case one of us gets nauseated from it). It’s ok if we miss Soaring. Neither of us cares much about Frozen, so that’s one less long wait right there. We figure we’ll ride in the morning and evening, when lines will hopefully be on the short end, and spend the middle of the day checking out the pavilions and the Flower and Garden Festival and eating all the snacks. We’re planning to have dinner at some point at Katsura Grill (with me mobile ordering from Regal Eagle—because, BBQ!!!). We’re not married to a particular dinner time; we’re just trying to avoid the big dinner rush, so it’ll probably be earlier or later than the main dinner crowds.

THURSDAY, APRIL 1: Try to get the first bus to MK (again, check at front desk when that one leaves and how early to be there). Hoof it to Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and ride it if the wait is 45 minutes or less). If open, ride Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, Haunted Mansion, Carousel of Progress. Scavenge for snacks (Gaston’s, Friar’s Nook, Sleepy Hollow, etc.?), whenever hungry. Consider Cosmic Ray’s for either lunch or dinner (hopefully avoiding main crowds through creative scheduling and eating either earlier or later than most other guests). Walk around and take it all in. Check wait times on app and ride whatever seems not too long of a wait (Buzz? Big Thunder?). Explore Adventureland. Ride Jungle Cruise. End the day with a Dole Whip.

FRIDAY, APRIL 2: Meet up with UBER or Lyft driver. Try to be at Universal around 7:15am. Get through security and line up at turnstiles (we won’t have either early admission or express pass, so we figure being close to the front of the non-early admission line can’t hurt). Check on Hagrid’s VL spots starting around 7:30 (I checked the app over the past couple of weeks and that first drop seems to happen any time between 7:30 and 8:02). Get the latest one possible (11-11:30?). 8am—walk swiftly to Gringotts. Mummy. Men in Black. Back to Hogwarts Express station (watch wait times). If we’re off MIB early and HE lines are short, walk around a little (otherwise do that later in the afternoon). Take Hogwarts Express to Islands of Adventure (ask team member if capacity issues may be an issues if the line to come back is long and we choose to walk—I talked to a team member by phone about this earlier this week and she said it wouldn’t be a problem, but I’m a big one on double-checking on stuff like that). Late breakfast or early lunch at Three Broomsticks (get in line and mobile order from there once we’re getting close to being seated). If we did NOT get a Hagrid’s VL spot, try again at 11am drop. After brunch (?), walk around Hogsmeade, checking wait times for Forbidden Journey and Spiderman. Explore the Lost Continent & other areas that look interesting. Ride Forbidden Journey whenever 45 mins or less. Ride Spiderman whenever 45 mins or less. Check Hogwarts Express wait times. In the late afternoon, decide if we want to take HE back or walk. If we’re hungry, snack at Mardi Gras food festival booths. Explore Diagon Alley. Have a late dinner at the Leaky Cauldron. If anything has relatively short wait times, ride it. Call UBER or Lyft to get back to the hotel.

SATURDAY, APRIL 3: Drag our utterly exhausted bodies to the airport. Sleep on the plane.
Agree with @preemiemama re: mobile ordering early tomorrow at DHS. Once you (hopefully!!) get your RotR boarding pass and have an idea when that might happen, I would mobile order your breakfast and schedule a pickup time while you're waiting for/on the bus to DHS.

Does anyone have any recent experience with how easy or difficult it is to refill a water bottle in the parks rn? I'm anticipating needing frequent water breaks due to weather (in May) and all the mask wearing. Thanks!

We did HS yesterday. Lines were longer, not quite as long as the projected but about 80 percent of it. We got there are opening and stayed until closing, and did everything we wanted to. One thing to make sure you're aware of, though, is that there's a LOT more walking now. Because the lines are so long, you're physically covering a lot more ground while waiting for rides. not a big deal, but if you're someone who struggled with feet or hip issues, that's something to be aware of.

Didn't see a maskless person all day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter