• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

We are trying to compile a list of rides that may be open at Rope Drop. We’ve gathered info about all parks except MK.

Can those who have been in the MK during the approx 45 mins from when the gates normally open until the official opening time, please share any attractions that were open at that time?

We understand this list can change daily but wanted to compile a list that could be options for people to look for.

Thanks so much!

I just went to MK this past Sunday (3/21). Before official park opening we were able to ride BTMRR (twice) and PotC. BTMRR opened right as we were walking up to it (around 7:35am; park opening was 8am). Splash was still closed when we walked from BTMRR to PotC, but was open after we got off PotC (which was technically right after official park opening). It was also cloudy & chilly (temps in the 50's), so that may have something to do with it as well.

Thank you for this.... I didn't realize you could walk between the 2 parks! We are a family of walkers who, in general, would rather hoof it by foot than stand around and wait for transportation. I've definitely added this to my notes for our upcoming trip :)
Google walking path to HS, you'll find directions and YouTube videos of the route. Make sure you take note of the shortcut by Wyland gallery at the Boardwalk past the pool. Happy trails!

We got back last night from a fabulous vacation! We were there for 6 nights and had 5 park days. Here are my thoughts...

Animal Kingdom:
-Flight of Passage is AMAZING (it was our first time ever riding it, and it is a new FAVORITE.) Do not miss it!!!
-Rainforest Cafe is very underrated. We had dinner there and loved it. And the service was fantastic.
-The Up! Bird show is great!

Magic Kingdom:
-The cavalcades are so much fun. We got Dole Whips and sat down to watch characters go by while we ate. This was a highlight of the day! The Princess cavalcade is especially awesome.
-We had lunch at The Plaza. Our group of 6 had two separate reservations since they wouldn't allow me to make a reservation for larger than 4. But when we arrived to check in they easily sat us all together. And we had a great view of the castle and the cavalcades from our table!
-One day we were walking out of the park at 9:20pm and wanted a picture with the castle, but we couldn't find a memory maker photographer anywhere. We were bummed! So we made sure to get that picture taken the next day before closing time.
-Loved riding 7 Dwarfs Mine Train at night!
-We enjoyed our dinner at Tony's.... the food was meh (but fine). Our waiter was awesome, and our view of the Train Station was great since we could see the characters when they were up there.

Epcot:
-Loved walking through the aquarium! We didn't know it would be so awesome!
-Garden Grill was a very fun character meal. We saw the characters probably 8 times each. And the food was yummy too!

Hollywood Studios:
-The day we were there was quite busy, but we still got lots done! We hit Rock-n-Rollercoaster first, then Star Tours, then lunch, then Runaway Railway, then Toy Story Land, and then Galaxy's Edge. By the time we got to Toy Story Land (around 4:00), lines were very manageable.
-Lunch at Mama Melrose was delicious! It was one of our favorite meals.
-I posted above about my experience getting a boarding group for RoR (while I was riding Star Tours at 1pm). haha! I am so glad it worked out and that we got to ride! It was awesome!!!
-After getting called for our RoR boarding group, we waited in line for probably 35 minutes. Then once we got to the front, the experience/ride took about 25 minutes. I had no idea what to expect with the length of that, so I thought I would share!

General:
-Ride times are exaggerated, unless you are in line when a cleaning cycle happens. Then they are pretty accurate.
-Check the weather before you go! We had some chilly days while we were there and were very glad we were prepared with jackets and jeans!
-Mobile ordering is awesome. If you order and then miss your pick-up window then the app let's you pick a new pick-up time. No big deal. (This happened to us when we got in line for Pirates thinking that the wait time would be inflated, but it ended up being accurate and we were late to pick up our food.)
-We didn't rope-drop. It's just not something we are interested in, especially coming from Colorado time zone and having young kids. So we got to the parks around 11:00 each day, and stayed until close. The last 2 hours of the day were wonderful with short lines and the beauty of Disney in the dark!
-We loved that the kids' meals at each of our ADRs offered 2 sides, some of which were desserts. Our kids always chose to get the main meal item, plus 1 healthy side, plus the dessert. And the desserts were so much fun!!! They all had a fun Disneyesque theme to them and they made the meals worth the price :)
-We had 1 ADR on some days and 2 ADRs on other days. I think I preferred the days with 1 ADR. Less rushed and more time for the park! But having 1 ADR seemed critical for being able to sit, relax, and be served once a day. Such a nice break!
-Having a "break" day is important! We did 3 full park days, and then did a half-day with swimming in the morning, then arrived to Epcot at 4:00, did a couple rides, had our ADR, did a few more rides, and called it a night! It was really good to have some extra downtime that day, and then we were ready to hit our last day with gusto!

Coming home was hard, but I have to say.... I just feel SO GRATEFUL that we got to take this trip. The whole time I was planning it, I felt like there was a chance it might not happen. Either there would be another shut-down, or travel restrictions, or one of us would get sick, or our flights would get messed up.... etc etc etc. I was so nervous! But in the end we got to go, and now we have these amazing memories to cherish forever. I am so thankful, after this crazy year of cancellations and disappointments, that we finally got to do something so special as a family. Masks or no masks, it was 100% worth it!!!

A very unsafe moment last night at Epcot

Epcot bus going to the park from Movies - waited over 45 minutes. NO buses. People in line called (someone, not sure who) and finally after 3 calls, we got a Disney bus sent specifically because of the calls.

The park bus leaving was a charter bus that came after a 20 minute wait (at around 10:40). The line was very long. The driver loaded every row, every seat. No air conditioner, fan, air flow of any kind. We rode all the way back to Movies in a HOT, crowded bus with people who I could see in the bus window reflections not wearing masks (PO'd that they would do it but understand because it was really warm). I was furious and honestly a bit scared that we have all now potentially been exposed to Covid. We wore our masks the whole ride and we held them so that they would be sealed as tight as possible.

I should have grabbed the ID of the bus but I didn't. I just wanted to get OFF THAT bus. We spoke to a manager in the bus area this morning before heading off to MK. He apologized, saying that the charters are hired but they are required to comply with Disney safety protocol and obviously didn't.

I should have gotten off the bus when I recognized it was unsafe. I even said to my husband "This is how people get sick." before we pulled away and before we knew there would be absolutely no airflow. I hesitated because of the really crappy bus service we had getting there (and a few other days already this week coming home from Epcot). And then it was too late because we were on our way. Sorry this is so long. I'm obviously still worked up about it.

Thank you for this.... I didn't realize you could walk between the 2 parks! We are a family of walkers who, in general, would rather hoof it by foot than stand around and wait for transportation. I've definitely added this to my notes for our upcoming trip :)
Absolutely! Robo has the maps in a sticky, but you basically cut through boardwalk’s pool, hang a right, and you’ll land at IG. It’s probably 20 minutes at a leisurely pace.

I just went to MK this past Sunday (3/21). Before official park opening we were able to ride BTMRR (twice) and PotC. BTMRR opened right as we were walking up to it (around 7:35am; park opening was 8am). Splash was still closed when we walked from BTMRR to PotC, but was open after we got off PotC (which was technically right after official park opening). It was also cloudy & chilly (temps in the 50's), so that may have something to do with it as well.
how did you get in the park early? Do they let people whom are staying on Property in a half hour earlier? If so does Disney Transportation get you to the parks in time to get in 30 minutes before?

3/25 - after taking Wednesday off for pool time, work, and Cali Grill dinner, we were up early yesterday to RD at MK. Unfortunately, we walked out of BW at 6:50 and watched the bus pull away. We were a bit late and I knew it, but had hoped maybe we would catch it. We caught the next bus at 7:05 and were in line at 7DMT at 7:30 on the nose. We got in line at Ariel, but could tell they hadn’t let anyone in the queue yet. The ride was running empty until 7:45, at that time the line started moving constantly and we were off at 8:02. Something must have been up with the ride. After we walked on to PP, Pooh, Buzz, and DD9 and I waited 10 mins for Space. We were hungry and grabbed an ADR for 10:25 at The Wave in Contemporary. Pretty good breakfast and the bottomless mimosas, win. Both girls picked a last ride at MK, took the monorail back and we rode BTMRR and Dumbo, both waiting about 20 mins. Rested in the room until 4 (it was really starting to get hot yesterday), then made our way over to Epcot to eat around the world and clean up a few rides. The 3 booths in World Showplace are all worth checking out. I really liked the avacado toast at sunshine griddle as well. DD9 thought the cinnamon roll bites and fruit loops shake were awesome as well. We walked onto MS green, Nemo, and spaceship earth in the middle of our food coma, waited about 15 mins for soarin’ and walked onto living with the land. Honey Beestro was a bit overrated for us on the 2 savory dishes, but the cheesecake and honey ale were solid. Crashed in the room about 10:30. Caught the first bus for AK this morning at 6:50, so hoping for a productive morning and getting out before the heat hits.

Not a good early entry day for us at MK. Went to 7D which had a line to the circus area (not let anyone into the actual queue yet). Then we saw a maintenance CM on the track so we left and around 7:30 they opened PP line so it was walkon. Over to HM and not open. Over to Splash - not open until 8 and they didn’t allow people to form a line. Splash was running boats but no water on drop. Thunder not allowing people into the queue but allowed a line so we are in that now at 7:45. I would say we had an early entry fail although we did get PP out of the way at least.
Some time later: we ended up being first to board out train a couple minutes til 8. Splash still closed when we got off thunder. We then walked on pirates and are in what is supposed to be a 20 min wait for jungle cruise

We are just leaving Beach Club after our first stay during the Covid era. Some thoughts:

- I would definitely wait for the next trip until the masking requirements are gone and more of the magic is back. I personally don’t find the trade off worthwhile. Don’t get me wrong- we had a good time. But it really is annoying.

- the Covid changes are generally good and well enforced and we never felt like we were in a high risk situation. But having said that, my wife and I are both vaxxed.

- sadly, and the worst note I can give: it’s very clear that many of the cutbacks currently are not to make guests/cast members more safe but rather just to save money. Mouse keeping can’t change bedding? Resort shipping services are closed? Even fireworks and evening shows would be very workable- they have giant dots on the ground everywhere you’re allowed to stand anyway- zero reason you couldn’t use them for shows. Frozen and Muppets can be run indoors but Fantasmic and Indy can’t happen outside???

- Disney transport including the Magical Express is noticeably cut back. Wait times were far longer than usual- Magical Express left the property at 9:40 today on a scheduled 9:05 departure; and we just gave up on the park busses and took Lyft.

So...just my thoughts I guess. The Magic will be back but I don’t think it is quite yet.

Thank you so much. Any chance you could explain how Disney would reroute me for Hollywood Studios and Magic Kingdom?

Sorry, we didn't drive to MK but at HS they had us go left where the people leaving the lot normally can turn left to re-enter:

In the Magic kingdom today and having a great day. We are on aVIP Tour, thanks to my generous son. I am sitting with my husband while they do Mine Train, not a fan of it. Our guide Sam, is outstanding. We our off to Tomorrow Land next then to Animal Kingdom. Beautiful weather and low crowds.

Has any one in the last 2 or 3 weeks had luck getting in line at the toll booths before 1 hour before official opening?

Has any one in the last 2 or 3 weeks been rerouted trying get in line at the toll booths at 1 hour before official opening?

Sorry, we didn't drive to MK but at HS they had us go left where the people leaving the lot normally can turn left to re-enter:
View attachment 565306
We were routed out the exit road all the way to Victory Way/Osceloa Parkway interchange. Had to re-route using GPS to get back as we ended up West bound on Osceloa Pkwy and had to go through the cloverleafs at World Drive to head back. I'm sure there is a quicker way but I couldn't visualize it after they turned us around.

We were routed out the exit road all the way to Victory Way/Osceloa Parkway interchange. Had to re-route using GPS to get back as we ended up West bound on Osceloa Pkwy and had to go through the cloverleafs at World Drive to head back. I'm sure there is a quicker way but I couldn't visualize it after they turned us around.

Thank you so much for the response. That is the route I was just mentally tracking in order to get back out and around. I do think that is the fastest way.

how did you get in the park early? Do they let people whom are staying on Property in a half hour earlier? If so does Disney Transportation get you to the parks in time to get in 30 minutes before?

As of right now they're letting everyone in early. We only stayed on property for half of our trip, and our MK day we didn't. Yes, Disney Transportation will get you there that early.

For instance, this trip we entered MK at 7:20 for an 8am opening (we took an uber, but Disney Transportation was running). For Hollywood Studios we entered the park at 8:10ish for a 9am opening (we took the Skyliner). And for Epcot we took the Skyliner and entered the park at 10:45 for an 11am opening (we weren't trying to get there early, so not sure how early they were letting people in).

We are trying to compile a list of rides that may be open at Rope Drop. We’ve gathered info about all parks except MK.

Can those who have been in the MK during the approx 45 mins from when the gates normally open until the official opening time, please share any attractions that were open at that time?

We understand this list can change daily but wanted to compile a list that could be options for people to look for.

Thanks so much!
I rode Jungle Cruise (opened at 30 min prior), BTMRR, Pirates and the Aladdin's Carpets first thing. I think Pirates opened right at 9, so that's why I came back there.

A very unsafe moment last night at Epcot

Epcot bus going to the park from Movies - waited over 45 minutes. NO buses. People in line called (someone, not sure who) and finally after 3 calls, we got a Disney bus sent specifically because of the calls.

The park bus leaving was a charter bus that came after a 20 minute wait (at around 10:40). The line was very long. The driver loaded every row, every seat. No air conditioner, fan, air flow of any kind. We rode all the way back to Movies in a HOT, crowded bus with people who I could see in the bus window reflections not wearing masks (PO'd that they would do it but understand because it was really warm). I was furious and honestly a bit scared that we have all now potentially been exposed to Covid. We wore our masks the whole ride and we held them so that they would be sealed as tight as possible.

I should have grabbed the ID of the bus but I didn't. I just wanted to get OFF THAT bus. We spoke to a manager in the bus area this morning before heading off to MK. He apologized, saying that the charters are hired but they are required to comply with Disney safety protocol and obviously didn't.

I should have gotten off the bus when I recognized it was unsafe. I even said to my husband "This is how people get sick." before we pulled away and before we knew there would be absolutely no airflow. I hesitated because of the really crappy bus service we had getting there (and a few other days already this week coming home from Epcot). And then it was too late because we were on our way. Sorry this is so long. I'm obviously still worked up about it.

We had this exact experience a few weeks ago going from DS to Yacht Club. Waited almost an hour for a bus at 1ish and the driver had no windows open, no AC on. I PASSED OUT and after my family/other families noticed all started shouting for the bus driver to turn AC on and his reply was "oh it's on I feel it". Dude had his upfront AC on only. I complained at the front desk and was given a "When I started out a a cast member, we used to have a sanitation company run our transportation and there was never any AC" story, which was super out of place and not what I expected out of Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter