The parks are super crowded right now. I am just leaving after a 4.5 day trip. On this trip we experienced less attractions then ever before. I think the number of people allowed in is calculated by the fire codes and “full capacity” is irrelevant. Parks are rarely full capacity outside of holidays. So the reduction in people is less Disney keeping people out (although there may be a cap) but mainly because some things aren’t open and so the allowed people for that space is not calculated in the total allowed capacity since it’s closed. Add to that a reduction in numbers of CMs (less people working food carts, less carts, less restaurant availability, less help in stores..), no FPs, no parades and no meet and greets, etc. and in some parks less shows, to break up waits and in effect everything has a wait. Everyone is in line or looking for where to go. We found that if you arrived at the parks really early for rope drop you could get about 3 attractions in before lines grew and you had to choose carefully. The wait times were sometimes over inflated, sometimes under inflated and sometimes just right. Unfortunately it was hard to tell until you arrived at the attraction and then you made a guess based on where the line started and previous experiences. Storms also caused mass closures some days along with the usual ride closures. If you go, go in with expectations set correctly. I’m glad it was just myself and a friend vs large family. Perhaps once schools start back the crowds will let up but for now Disney has more guests than they can handle unless you are not oppose to waiting every time (and waiting in the heat and masked at times. I think masks are a good idea but still found it challenging). I think that is what was so different to me is before you always had at least 3 FPs and some attractions were short waits to break things up. Right after the Covid closure there was reduced capacity (visited in October, March, and beginning of June). That is not the case right now. I have taken a couple trips here since the COVID closure but this is the first time it felt both too crowded and maybe not even safe from a COVID perspective if you are unvaccinated.

We just returned yesterday, and agree with just about everything you said !! As a person that is vaccinated, there was so many times that I didnt feel safe, despite the vaccine !! The one that stands out with the waiting queue at MMRR !! It reminded me of ITTBAG, Philharmagic, and Monsters rolled into one !! We felt like we spent the entire trip waiting on lines !! We had a great time, but basically because we spent so much time AWAY from the parks !!!

Second full HS day today. Today, July 30 is the shift back to masks in some areas. I will update this thread regarding the new mask policies at the attractions we go to! We plan to get to Hollywood studios around 8 AM

Got BG 10 this morning! Our plan is to do MFSR at rope drop since that was our longest standby wait of our four days so far at 90 minutes. Then maybe MMRR before our BG is called

Walked from the Boardwalk. Through security at 7:58 AM. Let through tapstiles at 8 AM, being held in front of “Vacation Fun” next to frozen theater until 8:30am.
FA0E8E1C-DEA1-467A-8BCA-AA61D6841A43.jpeg

Just spoke with Tran, one of the lead cast members. So far it is sounding like it is strictly inside buildings or entering an attraction marquee (which is where it lists the standby and fast pass return times) that we have to wear masks. So some of it may be outside depending on the ride. Will update

At the very front of the line for MFSR this morning.
DF2DFD0F-C93C-4E51-A599-7696ABB56011.jpeg
Very orderly progression. Crazy how some people are still jockeying for position, even still. In the ride queue at 8:40am. On ride at 8:48am. Off MFSR at 9:00am. Soooo much better doing it this way than waiting 90 minutes after we did tower of terror and rock n roller coaster the other day. Ok I just walked past the start of the line for MFSR, it is longer than the other day when it took us 90 minutes. I can’t stress enough getting to the park at 8 AM if you want to do MFSR with a little wait.

9:13 AM, in line for MMRR. Posted 85 minutes. On in 36 minutes. Touring Plans estimated 34 minutes BTW. Masks are NOT required in the extended outside portion of queues. Masks start once you go through the marquee entrance. In some cases some of that may be outside.

Loved MMRR! Fantastic visuals and imaginative.
098B76DE-E104-4A4F-9BE7-5EB69D9D14EB.jpeg

10:12am Going for some coffee and snacks now.

11:15 AM. Getting in line for Muppets 3-D since all the rides are at peak waits right now.

ROTR is down a lot today so far. Our group was called but it’s down again. Was told we can return any time before park close. Glad we have an early boarding group

9D41F3D7-3E67-4367-B1DF-9EDB3CDD5C23.jpeg
Prime Time Cafe at 12:10pm today. Great comfort food and the atmosphere is so cool.

1:04 OK heading to ROTR then back to the resort to nap. :-) I will say that mask compliance inside of the appropriate areas has been very good here at Hollywood studios today. No mean interactions with CM’s that I have seen yet.

Left the park around 3 PM and rode the Skyliner back to the Epcot stop, just for fun. it was our first time riding it. Loved it! Even in 92°, sunny weather it was comfortable in the vehicles.

Relaxed at the resort for a good while.

7 PM, back to HS. The park seems to be clearing out tonight. The line for slinky dog Dash was entirely in the formal queue. Haven’t seen that since we’ve been here.
4DB43C2E-560D-4A32-BE97-DE7D0B6D5F88.jpeg
The same goes for Mickey Minnie runaway railway.

Scarfing down some food at Docking Bay 7. A couple new options today. Plant-based meatballs and hummus (Felicia Kefta) and the spicy Tip Yip.
1C8FA50F-E867-43F6-ACF3-FC21395B9F95.jpeg
15E75DE4-CFE1-4997-8425-BFA929E1C3F0.jpeg

We are going to try to ride one more attraction standby, and then jump in either RNRC or TOT right at park close.

7:38 PM we are in line for MMRR. At the formal Marquee entrance now. At the first movie screen scene in 16 minutes .Got off the ride just after 8 PM.

This really points out how nice it would be to have the parks open longer. Closing at 8 PM is rough because lines are finally starting to diminish because the little kiddos can’t make it that long but the adults and older kids can. It would help spread out the crowds.
Successful day.

Dan

Bonus: 8:15 decided to take the Skyliner back to the Epcot stop because, why not? We are all big Ratatouille fans so we browsed through the France pavilion. My wife got a really cool Tumbler (I like the design and how it is understated but still Disney) and my oldest daughter will probably get the Remy Mickey ears for a souvenir soon. 9:49pm heading down to the main pool for some adult drink time
EBD2BED0-69BE-4C0F-BC47-8FAFC4886E5F.jpeg

Last edited:
I tried asking this question in the Food & Wine thread but got no response, hoping maybe to get an answer in this more active thread. Has anyone who's been at Epcot recently noticed if they still seem to have the appetizer plates in stock? Would love to have for our late August trip but they are sold out online. I'm hoping to pick up when we get there!
2021-food-and-wine-festival-logo-collection-appetizer-tray.png
We saw a ton hanging up at a kiosk - 7/29.

Second full HS day today. Today, July 30 is the shift back to masks in some areas. I will update this thread regarding the new mask policies at the attractions we go to! We plan to get to Hollywood studios around 8 AM

Got BG 10 this morning! Our plan is to do MFSR at rope drop since that was our longest standby wait of our four days so far at 90 minutes. Then maybe MMRR before our BG is called

Through security at 7:58 AM. Let through tapstiles at 8 AM, being held in front of “Vacation Fun” next to frozen theater until 8:30am.
View attachment 593297
Dan
THANK YOU so much for being our eyes on the ground today. I hope you have a fabulous time and keep the details coming!!

I don’t believe anyone working at Disney would outwardly complain about their employer to a random visitor.

I was there a few weeks ago and experienced a few attractions CMs complaining to us in queue line about their jobs. I wanted to tell them to quit their job and go elsewhere but bit my tongue. They certainly didn’t care about the Disney imagine.

So - I do believe poster as I experienced it too.

So we’ve never been to AK. It’s never been high on our list but we came down to FL to visit family and carved out one night to check it out (staying at Poly tomorrow, planning to go Saturday morning when, ostensibly, the crowds are elsewhere). Hearing these anecdotal reports of the crowds are making me a bit apprehensive. The masking change actually makes it more likely we keep the reservation. Trying to decide if it’s worth it or if we just do resort experiences this time and use our sunk cost in tickets towards a park hopper next fall and try it then.
It may be coincidence, but we had a much easier time yesterday at AK than we did the previous two days at DHS and MK (which were brutal). It was a planned half day. We arrived at around 2:15, huddled under cover for a few minutes hoping the rain would ease a little bit, then poncho'd up and got to the 3:00 FOTLK show. Then took the train to Rafiki's, did the Animation Academy, looked at the exhibits, and the animals. Then back to Africa for KS (about 20 minute wait) then Gorilla Falls trail. NExt a break for dinner, then into Pandora for Navi (20 minutes) and FOP (arrived at 7:30, waited about an hour). The waits were shorter than even TP Lines predicted, which I think is in part due to the rain.

We have another day planned with rope drop to do EE, Kali, the bird show, and Dinosaur. Can't say yet whether that plan will work as planned, but in theory, those two half days could be combined into one full day.

I also got boarding group 10 but rope dropping Slinky Dog in Toy Story Land. The line is insane.

I don’t know what to think. We have been here since Sunday but the Disney part of our trip, including hotel, starts this coming Sunday. It appears that only Disney is making the requirement, which is cool, their property, their rules. Also, you could go to WDW, have a full day, use transportation (boat) and never wear a mask. Whatever, life is too short to complain.

At HS. Masks required at the official start of all attractions. But not the extended queues.

CM’s are in a few checkpoints at the beginning asking people to put masks on but that is the only enforcement so far. 80-90% compliance as far as I can see. No one is chasing anyone down. No one is acting strict about this. Most didn’t have masks on in hote lobby with no enforcement there either. (this isn’t encouraging non-compliance nor am I saying anyone should break the rule - just reporting what I am seeing).

Just finished Slinky Dog. We were lucky as they were looking for a party of 2 and we were the first party of 2 in line. In line for Toy Story Mania. At the official entrance, they reminded people that they needed their whole party and masks on. They also checked that mask were over people's noses. They didn't do that in Slinky Dog line as I saw some without their noses covered. A few people in that line took off masks once they passed the CMs. Most are following directions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter