Third Park Day (continued): Saturday, March 13—Epcot (11pm close)

After my pool break and some food court fries, I decided to hang out at Epcot for a few hours after dark. I’m a major night owl, so I’ll take any dark park hours I can get. I got to Epcot about 8:45 (because I forgot the CBR Skyliner station would be busy with post-close DHS transfers) and quite a few people were leaving while I was going in. I headed toward France and enjoyed a peaceful walk around world showcase. I didn’t encounter any unmasked people, or annoying drunks, so that was nice. I did some shopping, and wanted to see The American Adventure, but tech glitches killed the 9:30 show before it even began.

Eventually, I made my way up to FutureWorld and jumped in line for Test Track. I didn’t catch the estimated wait, but it took 15-20 minutes to get on. SE was a walk-on, but it was here I found my annoying drunks—stupid college-age kids shouting and whooping.

After SE, I meandered toward the IG. It was about 11:20 by the time I got to the Skyliner station and there was no line.

Fourth Park Day: Sunday, March 14–Epcot and DHS

Not much to report for this day, I lazed around my room until early afternoon, then crossed the bridge to AoA, because I wanted to take a bus to Epcot instead of the Skyliner, so I could more easily experience the topiaries in FutureWorld. It was a little crowded, and there were more people than I felt like dealing with for long, so I checked out the topiaries and booked it for the IG to walk over to DHS. Along the walking path between Boardwalk and DHS, there were a few people that felt like they didn’t need to wear masks, but I just stayed on the opposite side of the path and didn’t worry too much.

Once I got into DHS, I caught a Pixar cavalcade and got more character birthday greetings, which is still the coolest thing. I grabbed some food from Rosie’s, then hunted down the end of the ToT line. I found it at 4:16, with an estimated wait of 60 minutes. There was a giant party of 11 behind me and they had some problems understanding how to stop on their line, instead of mine. I’m pretty non-confrontational, so I didn’t say anything, just tried to move away without crowding anyone else. Luckily, their party size got them held up at the entrance stand, so I got a nice break from them inside the hotel. I got on the ride at 5 on the dot. This was pretty much the only thing I went to DHS to do, so I headed out (passing the Pixar cavalcade again) and hopped on the Skyliner back to Pop.

I wanted to do something in the evening, but I’d already done Epcot at night, and MK was only open until 9, so I just hung out in the room. They’ve really got to get some more night hours going.

Fifth and Final Park Day: Monday, March 15–Animal Kingdom (8am open)/Departure Day (Tuesday, March 16)

I was going to rope drop, but I got new hotel neighbors and they weren’t terribly quiet or polite (who lets their kids bang the railings after 10pm or before 7am?!) so I chose to doze for a while. I got to the bus stop at 11:03, and the whole Pop bus area was a madhouse. The Skyliner was apparently down, and there were major lines for Epcot and DHS, and quite a few for MK and AK too (I’m guessing they had to reassign some of those buses to the Skyliner parks). The first AK bus after I got to the stop arrived at 11:10, and I was on the 3rd bus by 11:20. The Skyliner also got going, and a lot of people headed that way, but they still sent buses for the people who wanted them.

I arrived at AK at 11:35. I explored the paths around the Tree, then headed toward Dinoland USA for lunch. Since it was prime lunch time, my window was about 45 minutes off (12:30-1) so I killed time riding TriceraTop Spin. Once it was time, I hit the button and waited about 10 minutes for my food to be ready. Managed to find a 2-top table inside, and enjoyed my bacon cheeseburger.

After lunch, I was heading for EE, which was showing a much shorter wait than when I arrived (35 vs 60). I almost missed the end of the line hidden next the Nemo theatre. It was 12:55 when I got in line, and I was on the ride at 1:19. I had another line-creeper family behind me, but they got told off by a line-directing CM (over her microphone, no less) after they crowded me and I took a big, obvious step forward right in front of her (I also stepped sideways so I didn’t crowd her either)—it worked to keep them off my back for a while.

The Safari line was stupid long, but only posted at 45 minutes at 1:35. It was super fast and I got on at 1:57. I got to see Ranger and his mom from the back, and a bunch of ostriches hanging out around the rangers’ truck.

Last stop at AK was FoP, with a posted wait of 65 at 2:38. I got to the link room at 3:27. They were not filling every spot, it was just me and a family of 5. The kids decided to sit next to me anyway, but I didn’t really care.

Back to Pop to pack and try to wake up on Tuesday for a 6:05am DME ride (spoiler alert, my alarm failed me (all 3 of them) and I woke up at 5:58. Dressed, packed the last stuff, and sped to Classic Hall. Made it at 6:11 and had to wait for the 6:45 bus. Shout out to luggage guy Moe for reassuring a sleep-deprived and slightly panicked guest that they’d still get her to the airport)

That’s it from me until November 29!

I haven’t really posted on this thread much but have been reading the past several weeks with this trip coming. We arrived this past Tuesday and leave tomorrow.

I have to say that I don’t understand those who say crowds are terrible. I have been exceptionally pleased with the crowds compared to what I was expecting. We have ridden everything we’ve wanted, not exclusively rope dropped, had no issues with food...

Our MK day was the only one that was a little disappointing and it was mainly because of the heat. We just couldn’t deal with lines and heat and masks all at once. That was a fairly short day for us but we still hit the headliners that were most important to us.

We’ve had a fantastic week.

I have to say that I don’t understand those who say crowds are terrible.
When people say "crowds" perhaps they mean "lines"? I agree that it doesn't feel crowded in the parks or resorts, but I've been here all week and some of the lines for top rides have been really bad. I've kept looking at MDE all week, and never saw Slinky Dog go below 50 minutes at any time of day. When I finally rode it, the wait was just as bad as it looked- worse, really, as it didn't move efficiently & when I finally rode I noticed that it wasn't being fully loaded even considering pandemic guidelines- I was in the 4th or 5th row and no one at all was in front of me- but what the heck, it's not like anyone else was waiting... (I also noticed that several families skipped the miserable line by claiming disability- and I'm talking whole families, young & very healthy looking & able-bodied- call me mean but I don't buy that each family had a member with an invisible disability- and I'm speaking as a person who actually has an invisible disability.) Riding Slinky was fun, but it still wasn't worth the full one-hour wait. As I walked out, though, the line was almost twice as long as it had been when I got into it! I think this is due to park hopping. Yuck!

Then I hopped over to Magic Kingdom, and tried to get in line for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, but ditched that idea when I never saw the end of the line even upon reaching the circus area. Yes, into the circus area with no end in sight!

Not all of the lines were like that this week, but some of them have been, and not everyone wants to spend an hour+ in line for a 90 second ride that they used to be able to FastPass.

Last edited:
We are here now and having a great time! This is our first park trip in 20+ years, and, if I’m honest, my prevailing emotion leading up to the trip was nervousness.

3/17
Arrived and took ME to AKL Kidani. Our room (1BR) was ready when we got here. Our location is absolutely perfect on the second floor just a few steps from the door to buses and the lobby. We did mobile order from Sanaa for dinner and met our grocery and wine deliveries. Early to bed so we could hit MK on Thursday.

3/18
MK day! This was also the day it was predicted to get to about 90. We were up and moving early to catch the bus. First bus came at 6:43 and we were on it. Rope dropped Mine Train and were off before 8:00. By 1:00 we had completed 7DMT, IASW, PP, HM, JLM, photo pass by little mermaid, cinnamon roll at Gaston’s, BTMR, POTC, SM. The crowds really started to pick up around 11:30/12:00. Since it was getting hot and crowded, we decided to head back to the resort to eat lunch and get off our feet. I also upgraded our tickets with park hoppers without any trouble. We ended up just spending the rest of the day swimming and relaxing and not going back to the park.

3/19
Up early again to do AK. Again, we were on the first bus, but this time it didn’t show up until about 7:00. We rope dropped again and headed straight to Pandora. FOP was the only thing open super early so we did that. Then to Navi where we waited 30 minutes. We stopped for lots of Photopass pictures and then headed to Dinosaur (walk on) and Everest (15 minutes.) Stopped at Yak & Yeti for a break then off to the Safari. We finished everything by about 11:30 and headed to the resort to relax and have lunch until park hopper kicked in. We left AKL around 2:30 for MK. Once there, we did a bunch of pictures in the Hub, rode Buzz twice, saw Stitch, did speedway, tea cups, and Dumbo before grabbing a snack. Then we headed to Jungle Cruise. Posted wait was 35 minutes, but we hit a cleaning cycle. ::sad trombone:: That ended up taking 55 minutes and definitely took the wind out of our sails. We grabbed a dole whip though and headed for BRMRR. 7 minutes later, we were on the ride! Then we went to 7DMT and waited about 25 minutes (posted 45.) It was now about 7:00, and we were tired. We grabbed a Starbucks on our way out of the park and were back at AKL by 8:00.

Today is a rest day with brunch at Homecomin and some shopping. I appreciate that everyone has a different history with vacations and the parks, but, I have to say, I can’t imagine this being more fun with bigger crowds or all the fast passes. We all agree that 11-2 is the stress point for crowds (I’ll be interesting to see how Epcot feels in this regard,) but otherwise it is easy to keep your own space. People are really following the rules with distancing in lines and wearing masks. Not 100%, but very, very good.

ETA - I say stuff about snacks and photos just as a reference and to show that we aren’t running at a breakneck pace or anything crazy.

Last edited:
How did you walk on to everything? No waiting? I have two friends in wdw this week and they definitely were not walking onto anything.
We walked on most big rides about 90 to 60 minutes before closing. If you aren’t doing rope drop, going late in the day is huge. Lines just moved well and fast. Constantly moving that late in the day. Really only took the time to walk through the que. longest wait was slinky. Buses were absolutely terrible this trip but we stayed at BWV so luckily didn’t need to take that many buses. We loved Epcot but it was very crowded in World Showcase all week. I’m definitely glad we got Park Hoppers. Like I said having been during spring break many times in the past, I really didn’t see much of a crowd difference with this week.

Mobile ordering is definitely the way to go now.

I thought I would not be a fan of mobile ordering but we've used it several times now and it's infinitely better than the old standing-in-line counter service way.
I used mobile ordering probably twice. It was efficient most definitely. I didn’t mind that part. I think it should stay. I just don’t like battling the crowds to sit and find a place to eat. I have never been a fan of that. That’s why I enjoy table service meals more. Takes more of our day but we enjoy the break for them.

Are there specific rides in MK that open early besides Mine Train? Is Splash Mountain, Big Thunder, Space Mountain open?

Are there specific rides in MK that open early besides Mine Train? Is Splash Mountain, Big Thunder, Space Mountain open?

I've seen Big Thunder and Space Mountain open early, as well as others - when I was there, they let people line up for Splash Mountain, but did not open it early. We rode SDMT and BTM, then got in line for Splash.

(I also noticed that several families skipped the miserable line by claiming disability- and I'm talking whole families, young & very healthy looking & able-bodied- call me mean but I don't buy that they all had an invisible disability- and I'm speaking as a person who actually has an invisible disability.) .
Just an FYI, this is how DAS works. The entire linked family (up to 5 others) can join the person with the disability on the ride, they don’t all need to claim a disability. My husband, who looks perfectly young and healthy, needs a DAS and we join him (as 100% able bodied, healthy people) on all the rides, otherwise he would just be doing Disney by himself and we would be without a family member for most of our trip. Also, we don’t just walk up and jump into line, we have to scan in, get a return time that is equal to the posted wait time and come back later.
I am not sure if you knew this info but wanted to share with you and others - in no way is it meant as argumentative or as a debate starter.

(Apologies for going off topic, however being judged while using a DAS can be hurtful. Especially when those judging have misinformation. Being an assumed liar and cheater never feels good, especially when you’re just trying to enjoy a family vacation. My post was an attempt to clear up misinformation and provide information to others to help alleviate these judgment.)

Last edited:
Just an FYI, this is how DAS works. The entire linked family (up to 5 others) can join the person with the disability on the ride, they don’t all need to claim a disability.
My point was that no one in the group appeared to have any disability. I saw a lot of families doing this yesterday. Call me cynical but I do think some were abusing it.

Last edited:
How did you walk on to everything? No waiting? I have two friends in wdw this week and they definitely were not walking onto anything.

Here’s my experience from Tuesday night at DHS. We arrived about 3 hours before closing.

I went to DHS yesterday and got pretty much accomplished in the last few hours the park was open. Saw Lightning McQueen Racing Academy, was walk in. Then Rock n Roller with a posted 40 min wait, but it was less. Walked right onto Alien Swirling Saucers, wait time said 15 min. Then TSMM with a 10 minute wait. Then SDD. On the way out MMRR posted a 50 minute wait, we waited 8 minutes.

(I also noticed that several families skipped the miserable line by claiming disability- and I'm talking whole families, young & very healthy looking & able-bodied- call me mean but I don't buy that they all had an invisible disability- and I'm speaking as a person who actually has an invisible disability.)

The “FP” queue is not only used for DAS. D33 members have access to it. Baby swap uses it. I think VIP tours. I can’t think of the term for it, but if you had something happen GS can add a ride to your mde, and I think Golden Oaks residents have access.

The “FP” queue is not only used for DAS. D33 members have access to it. Baby swap uses it. I think VIP tours. I can’t think of the term for it, but if you had something happen GS can add a ride to your mde, and I think Golden Oaks residents have access.
I asked the CM who was letting them pass us why so many families were cutting the line, and he said it was due to disabilities.

I went to DHS yesterday and got pretty much accomplished in the last few hours the park was open. Saw Lightning McQueen Racing Academy, was walk in. Then Rock n Roller with a posted 40 min wait, but it was less. Walked right onto Alien Swirling Saucers, wait time said 15 min. Then TSMM with a 10 minute wait. Then SDD. On the way out MMRR posted a 50 minute wait, we waited 8 minutes.
Lucky you. The problem is that you can't wait until the end of the day to hop to HS, because it might close to hoppers. To be reasonably sure of entry, you have to arrive mid-afternoon, which means you either get in line then, or wait around at the park doing nothing for a few hours waiting for the crowds to go down. Either way you have to wait unless you luckily happened to have an HS park pass for a given day (or unless you're a local or otherwise frequent visitor who just doesn't care if they can't get into HS on any given day).

Last edited:
Lucky you. The problem is that you can't wait until the end of the day to hop to HS, because it might close to hoppers. To be reasonably sure of entry, you have to arrive mid-afternoon, which means you either get in line then, or wait around at the park doing nothing for a few hours waiting for the crowds to go down. Either way you have to wait unless you luckily happened to have an HS park pass for a given day.

I didn’t hop. That’s when we chose to go to the park. Didn’t get Rise at 7 when I attempted so we weren’t in a hurry to get there. I’m a morning person, but the rest of my family isn’t. So last 3 to 4 park hours work best for us.

@scrappinginontario have we seen any reports this week of anyone not being able to hop? I haven’t noticed any, but I often just skim.

Lucky you. The problem is that you can't wait until the end of the day to hop to HS, because it might close to hoppers. To be reasonably sure of entry, you have to arrive mid-afternoon, which means you either get in line then, or wait around at the park doing nothing for a few hours waiting for the crowds to go down. Either way you have to wait unless you luckily happened to have an HS park pass for a given day.
To date, park hopping has ALWAYS been allowed to all parks since park hopping was reintroduced on Jan 1. It has not closed at any time of the afternoon/evening for any park,

I have personally called the park hopper line every day for the past 7 days to ensure this information is accurate as all parks were at capacity for daily park reservations.

Last edited:
Lucky you. The problem is that you can't wait until the end of the day to hop to HS, because it might close to hoppers. To be reasonably sure of entry, you have to arrive mid-afternoon, which means you either get in line then, or wait around at the park doing nothing for a few hours waiting for the crowds to go down. Either way you have to wait unless you luckily happened to have an HS park pass for a given day (or unless you're a local or otherwise frequent visitor who just doesn't care if they can't get into HS on any given day).
No park has ever closed to hoppers as of this date, not even HS, but ok.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter