Help with where to stay in March?

pk1959

Mouseketeer
This will be our first trip to California. After a cruise out of Los Angeles, we will have about 4 days to spend and want to use a couple of those days for DL. I have read on these boards that Anaheim is a good area to stay in, and have done some research and found several hotels to stay at that are walking distance to the parks. My questions is whether anyone knows of a roomy, decently priced hotel, perhaps a suite, that is not necessarily right on top of the parks?? We will have rental car, so driving several miles or whatever would not be a problem. Is DL at all like the WDW resort area where you really get more bang for your buck, lodging wise, if you are further away from the popular attractions areas?? We really don't know what area to be looking at for the very best deals. Anyone have any experience, recommendations?? Thanks in advance. :)

There is a Fairfield and a Residence Inn in Placentia, about 6 miles away from the parks. DH and I stayed at the Fairfield in August and we got a bargain price of $69. It was clean and not too touristy around it (there were office bldgs). Breakfast was included which made it an even better deal. I've always liked Residence Inn's as well because you have a full kitchen and can have one or two bedroom units. Be aware that parking is $11 for the parks.

If you want walking distance (which will save on parking), the HOJO and the Candy Cane Inn both get great reviews. They are a bit of a walk, but doable.

If you really want to splurge, stay at the Grand Californian. We stayed there for the first time last week and absolutley loved it (but it is pricey).

We stayed at the Portofino Inn & Suites a couple of weeks ago - they put us in one of their "King Suites", which was quite a large room - it's got a king-size bed, and it has a separate sleeping area (with bunk beds) for kids, and there's also a sofa, small fridge and microwave, and a small table and two chairs in that area. It was very clean and comfortable. It's on the corner of Harbor and Katella (basically next to the Convention Center) so it was still walking distance to Disneyland - 10 minutes or so. The "view" was certainly nothing special, but the room itself was nicer than we were expecting.

Stampinshauna & ScooterL- that was exactly the kind of information that I was looking for, so thank you for that.

Hydroguy- while I am sure that your information is right on for the majority of the cases, being close and coming back to rest etc. just doesn't apply to us. We have no kids with us, and having been to WDW 18 times in the last 22 years, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if we skipped DL all together, so our plan is to go in there, see what we get a chance to see, and leave it at that. However, that being said, we still have not ruled out staying really close by. We can get the Desert Inn & Suites for a fairly good price of $89 for the parlor suite A during that time frame. The reviews are fair for the place and it doesn't look bad in the pictures BUT, then again, they all look good in the pictures don't they!! You had some really good information in the link that you included in your post, so thank you for that information. I really appreciate the help for the people who took the time to post.

Paruse(sp?)Tripadvisor.com. Across the street 'is' the place/s to stay.There's Carosel Inn, BWPPI,the Tropicana,Camelot,Park Vue,HoJo's. Down the street you have quite a few choices,CCI Castle Inn,the Alpine Inn,and about a dozen others. ;)
But of course HydroGuy beat me to it. :thumbsup2
ps have FUNN :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter