help with August itinerary

mhingher

DIS Veteran
We are a family of 4, 2 kids ages 6 & 9.

Sat 8/27 - Arrive LAX @ 12pm, get rental car and check in hotel (Camelot?). Spend afternoon/evening at Downtown Disney, maybe ESPN Zone or Build a Bear.

Sun 8/28 - Head to Long Beach and visit the aquarium. Drive to Santa Monica Pier later in the afternoon/evening

Mon 8/29 - Disneyland at opening, lunch at Carnation Café. DCA in the afternoon/evening, maybe stay for World of Color

Tues 8/30 - Princess breakfast @ Ariel's Grotto, Lunch @ Wine Country Trattoria. Maybe DL in the afternoon/evening

Wed 8/31 - Breakfast @ Tanagaroa Terrace @ Disneyland Hotel. Spend the day at Knottsberry Farm, Downtown Disney for dinner @ Naples.

Thurs 9/1 - Breakfast @ Plaza Inn with Minnie and Friends. Disneyland/DCA until closing.

Fri 9/2 - I'm running the 5k @ 5:30am in Disneyland :-) I know I'll be exhausted for the day but I'll push through. Hollywood Walk of Fame, Dave & Busters. Dinner @ Hard Rock Café. Have to get a touristy day in, we have never been there.

Sat 9/3 - Departure day. Not sure what to do until we head to the airport. We have to be there for 1:30pm to return our rental car and catch our 4pm flight home.

Any suggestions? Places to eat?

A quick suggestion. The first night stay near LAX or Long Beach and save the drive for Sunday. You could go to the beach or aquarium your first day and Santa Monica. Then drive over to Anaheim for Sunday morning. You gain the Sunday for DTD or maybe the mall in Orange where Dave and Busters is. Have a relaxing day before you start the Disney whirlwind.

The aquarium is very nice, there's a Bubba Gump's right beside the parkade.

I always recommend combining LA/Hollywood/Santa Monica activities together so you don't waste time commuting back and forth to Anaheim. As endy suggested you can stay in the LA area for the first night and see those things on the first 2 days during the weekend when traffic is lighter, and then after your 5k you can hang out at DTD (or collapse in your hotel room if necessary).

Hmmm sounds like a good suggestion! Any recommendations on where to stay that first night? Not sure how much we can see the day we arrive, we're traveling from NJ so we'll be dealing with a 6 hour flight and 3 hour time difference.

I recommend the California Science Center, especially to see the Space Shuttle Endeavour. Not quite sure how that might work with your schedule, but the kids would love it. It requires a small fee for a timed reservation to see the shuttle ($2 when I visited) but the rest of the place is free. They even have a small aquarium.

My kids are 9 (DD) and 12 (DS) and we are local. I would second the Science Center, and in fact, we would rate it higher than the LB Aquarium. The ecosystems exhibit is very hands-on and fantastic, and the Space Shuttle is pretty amazing.

As far as Hollywood, DD loves the Sweet candy shop that's in Hollywood & Highland (it's enormous and fun, with lots of international candy), and both kiddos love Ghiradelli's, which is across the street. It's fun to see a movie at the El Capitan, which is owned by Disney and across the street from H&H. You won't know what'll playing in August til much closer to the time, though. DD also LOVES The Grove, a very upscale outdoor shopping/pedestrian area a couple miles from H&H. They have an American Girl doll store there, which is a particular draw for her.

My kids are 9 (DD) and 12 (DS) and we are local. I would second the Science Center, and in fact, we would rate it higher than the LB Aquarium. The ecosystems exhibit is very hands-on and fantastic, and the Space Shuttle is pretty amazing.

As far as Hollywood, DD loves the Sweet candy shop that's in Hollywood & Highland (it's enormous and fun, with lots of international candy), and both kiddos love Ghiradelli's, which is across the street. It's fun to see a movie at the El Capitan, which is owned by Disney and across the street from H&H. You won't know what'll playing in August til much closer to the time, though. DD also LOVES The Grove, a very upscale outdoor shopping/pedestrian area a couple miles from H&H. They have an American Girl doll store there, which is a particular draw for her.

Thank you very much for this. It's hard to tell what kids of different ages will be interested in. I have heard good things about the Science Center, I might have to try and squeeze it in somewhere! The Grove sounds great, both of my girls love American Girl! We've been to the store in NYC a couple times and going again over spring break, but I'm sure they would still enjoy it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter