"Help the Yankee DISer" Part II-visit Australia/DL-the PTR(8/19 -TR Link Post#263!)

I set up those slots on the first page for trip overviews - but I'll also post any new information here within the thread. This way new readers can just look at the front page while those of you following along can see it here as well.

It's not often that the idea of a first ever trip to Disneyland would be the LEAST exciting part of a vacation, but that might be the case hear! We are very much looking forward to seeing Disneyland, especially the new/different rides. But after three days there - we will be ready to move on.

I am hoping three days at Disneyland also tires us enough that we can get a decent amount of sleep on the plane. Our flight leaves from LAX at 10:30 PM, and we should be pretty tired, and will hopefully be able to sleep at least 6-7 hours on the plane. That would be great except it's a 15 HOUR flight. :scared1: This is the main reason I wanted to break up the trip, as it typically take 8-9 hours to get from Buffalo to LA, and the idea of following that with a 15 hour flight just gives me the creeps.

Another interesting thing that some Americans might not be aware, when you cross the international dateline to Australia, you essentially skip over a day. So, though we leave LA on Tuesday July 24th, we don't arrive in Sydney until Thursday, July 26th. Wednesday, July 25th is a day we won't experience this year! (Though August 16th will be the longest day EVER!)

The other bad thing I didn't originally think about, we arrive in Sydney on July 26th at 6:30 AM. What's so bad about that you say? Well, in all likelyhood we won't be able to check into our hotel for another 8-9 hours, and we might just be pretty beat! The actual time change as I see it from LA to Australia is 7 hours (or actually its 17 hours, but really will feel like 7).

Including Thursday - we have about 4.5 days in Sydney. We leave the afternoon of July 30th - a Monday. I wanted a hotel that was in the city, and we wouldn't have to spend money to rent a car. (Plus The idea of driving on the right is scary enough without the first time being in a big city.)

Part of my goal in budgeting for this trip was to keep the hotel costs per night at less than $200. My biggest fear was that this would be impossible, but I don't know if it because we are traveling in winter, the costs don't seem too bad, I searched a few places in the heart of Sydney under that price, but then found a place called the Rendezvous Strattord which is right in The Rocks. For any US readers, that seems like it not so much in the city center, but more in the entertainment center - between the Sydney Harbor Bridge and the Opera House and not too far from the Botanical Gardens at Circular Quay. The price was $233 a night US including tax, but I thought the location was so perfect I decided to splurge the extra few bucks. Reviews on TripAdvisor were very good, and I think it will be an exciting location.

So - as far as what we want to accomplish in sydney, I have yet to work out the specifics, but definitely want to do a tour of the harbor, the city, the Opera House, probably the Aquarium, maybe out to one of the beaches (Manly or Bondi) and less likely the zoo. (I hear the Sydney zoo is excellent, but there are a lot of Zoological stops planned on our trip, and with our limited time here I think we will skip it.)

I don't know how badly the time change will hit us, nor how much we will be used to the time chanage already from Buffalo -> LA, so it might feel more like a 10 hour time difference. So, our first day I am thinking may be a lost cause, except that again we will have several hours before we can check into the hotel. Hopefully, we will be able to suffer through and enjoy our 4 days in Sydney.

FIRST QUESTION OF THE THREAD:
This is for any folks familiar with Sydney...what would you recommend for dining options?

I think we have a pretty good idea for what kind of tourist options there are - though would accept any potential budget/discount advice there as well - but I would appreciate food advice from locals. We really are trying to budget this trip, and for that reason are not interested in posh/expensive restaurants, even though I am sure there are many good ones in Sydney. After all, we will also be towing a very-likely-tired 9-year-old. I am more interested in good food and reasonable prices - and by that I am thinking $50-$75 AUS for 2 adults and a child. (For example our last trip to Las Vegas we blew $200 US eating at Voodoo Steak and had an awesome steak dinner for the two of us, but then we went and ate at Hash House A-Go-Go for Brunch and for >$50 had one of the best meals I've ever had.) I am trying to budget about $125-$150 per day for our meals if that is possible. The hotel we are staying in is a studio, and has a small kitchen which might allow us to even have breakfasts in the room.

That plane trip is going to be LONG! I thought the flight from Texas to Hawaii was rough! What a great idea to break up the two long flights with a few days at DL in between. :thumbsup2 Hopefully you won't wear yourselves out TOO much, but just enough so you can sleep on the plane. How crazy that you will skip an entire day of the year! My co-worker's son lives in Australia and she has gone twice to visit him, and the next time she wants to bring her 2 year old granddaughter. I think that's NUTS! I'm worried about all of the time we will be spending on a plane for our trip with DS, I cannot even imagine that long of a flight with a toddler! Hopefully your DD will sleep a lot and have enough to keep her busy on the plane.

That plane trip is going to be LONG! I thought the flight from Texas to Hawaii was rough! What a great idea to break up the two long flights with a few days at DL in between. :thumbsup2 Hopefully you won't wear yourselves out TOO much, but just enough so you can sleep on the plane. How crazy that you will skip an entire day of the year! My co-worker's son lives in Australia and she has gone twice to visit him, and the next time she wants to bring her 2 year old granddaughter. I think that's NUTS! I'm worried about all of the time we will be spending on a plane for our trip with DS, I cannot even imagine that long of a flight with a toddler! Hopefully your DD will sleep a lot and have enough to keep her busy on the plane.

UGh - Fly Australia with a 2-year old. I couldn't think of a worse form of torture. That age all they want to do it move around! The longest single flight I ever took was Atlanta to Hawaii - that was 10 hours and it was pretty unbearable. DD has never flown more than 5 hours on a single leg (BUF to Phoenix, AZ) My hope is to use some drugs to make sure we all sleep those first 6-7 hours. It's also the primary reason she got a DS for christmas. I intend to buy two new games for her...one for the trip out, and one for the trip back. For how bad this flight will be, I think the one back will be even worse, because it leaves @ 10 AM in the morning, meaning flying (internal clock) from 10 AM to midnight, so likely awake the whole time, or just falling asleep towards the end.

It quite interesting reading, living in Sydney I have the same concerns/fears about going to the US. I am going as part of a larger group with a then 4yo and a 1yo. Our flight departs 2pm local time and arrives LAX at 10:30 on the same day! Same goes for driving on the 'wrong' side of the road!

Arriving at your hotel shouldn't be too bad that early, let them know in advance and they may be able to organise something for you, even if only storing your bags while you go for a walk. You have a great location staying at The Rocks.

As for dining, you should be able to stick to budget but you will have to look a bit more. Weekdays make note of finding the Hunter Connection if you like Asian food, quite good and very cheap for lunch as is Chinatown. There are a few food shops local, Pancakes on the Rocks is a favorite of mine and another weekdays one, if you like Italian, is Giovannis which is on George St, not too far from where you are staying. There is also a noodle place on Bridge St, Wagamama ( a second store in Darling Harbour from memory) which has huge serves for a good price, good for a nice hot soup. Preparing breakfast in your room will certainly save you a lot of money, breakfast, depending on how much you eat could easily cost $20 or $30 AUD. I will stop now or I could be here all morning :)

I was going to suggest pancakes on the rocks too. Also if you see any Harry's Cafe De Wheels about - Try it! You haven't been to Australia until you've dripped meat pie and sauce all down your front! :rotfl:

Eatibility is a handy site to browse through Sydney eateries. Some restaurants have specials that they list on the site. More and more places are offering discounts if you finish your meal before 730pm. The site will give you some idea of price as well.

http://www.eatability.com.au/au/sydney/special-offers/index.htm

Will come back and list some of my favourite cheap eats when I can type without my 3 year old hanging off me...

The Rocks is a great place to explore Sydney from! I find most of the more reasonably priced places to eat are further away from the harbour and closert to the Chinatown side of the city. But there is a free city shuttle and one of the stops is close to your hotel.

I have to admit that we usually eat "western style" food away from the city and we tend to go in to eat at the more "fancy" restaurants when we do. BUT, we do go in for good cheap Asian food! Sydney is a great place to go for good Asian cuisine. So most of my recommendations will be Asian I'm afraid...

Remember in Australia, the price you see is the price you pay! No tax, no tip.

Sydney has great Thai food. My family go to Thailand frequently and the food here is close to what you get there. There is a strip her in Town that we nickname ""Thainatown with many good, cheap and authentic street style Thai food. Here are some of my favourites:
Thainatown: A no frills place with really good food. You'll easily feed your family for $30. Here is a handy blog review of the place. As mentioned, the thai ice tea is yummy if you like sweet drinks.
Chat Thai: This is a little bit more upmarket but prices are still surprisingly reasonable! I have to warn you that this is a very popular place so either go early or prepare to line up! The same person above has also blogged about this place.
Spice I Am: Last but not least there is Spice I Am, the most expensive of the lot but again, great food. They now have more upmarket versions throughout Sydney, but stick to the Surry Hills one.

More recommendations coming soon!

I have to admit that we usually eat "western style" food away from the city and we tend to go in to eat at the more "fancy" restaurants when we do. BUT, we do go in for good cheap Asian food! Sydney is a great place to go for good Asian cuisine. So most of my recommendations will be Asian I'm afraid...

I was thinking that too, if we're going into the City to eat it's for a big fancy meal... If we want something cheap we stay out in the burbs... :confused3

You will be horrified by the price of food in Australia, and Sydney will be the biggest shock. A 600ml (20oz) soda from a 7-11 will be close to $4, maybe even $5 around The Rocks and the city, even from a vending machine it will usually be $3.50-$4, a cheap sit down place you might get a 375ml (12oz) can for $3.50, coffee prices are the same type of scary, actually everything will be the same type of scary compared to US prices. Bottomless cups/glasses are very very very rare, if you want 2 glasses of soda, you pay for 2 glasses of soda. Even something like McDonald's will be alarming - $10 for a meal of adult sized burger, fries, soda. Packets of breakfast cereal will be tiny compared to what you are used to and expensive, bread and milk will be expensive. If you are after any alcohol - expensive, and it's not just in the fridge at the 7-11 or gas station, you have to go to special shops.

You will not believe how expensive food and drink is compared to US. Unless the exchange rate does a complete shift in your favour, but while it's roughly $1US=$1AU you will find it expensive. If it goes back to 60cUS=$1AU it should be fine. The exchange rate will have a huge impact on how expensive you will find it. Totally unpredicatable, and to a certain extent a bit unpredictable until you see your credit card statement - overseas transaction fees, unfavourable exchange rates used by your bank etc can quickly add up.

Back to your original question, Asian is usually about the cheapest style of food you can get, Chinese/Thai are the most common. How are you with Chinese or Thai food? Chinatown is good, but stick to the places on the cross street rather than on the pedestrian mall section of Chinatown (Dixon St), they are usually cheaper, and generally a bit better.

The Rocks is a bit like the Fisherman's Warf area in San Fran, everything is expensive; in the city with all the office workers, there are lots of food courts under almost every second office tower, though a lot of them are only open Mon-Fri at lunchtime.

Once you get out of the major tourist areas, it gets more reasonable, and once you get out of Sydney in general it gets more reasonable. Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_cities_for_expatriate_employees Sydney is 14 for 2011, Melbourne, 21, Perth 30 (it jumped from 60 in 2010!), Brisbane 31 - the first US city to appear is New York at 32. That comparison is for US expats living in the city.

You will find almost every hotel in Australia will have tea/coffee making facilities and a small fridge, it's so common lots of places don't even mention it. I was surprised when I first went overseas how uncommon it is in the rest of the world. If breakfast is cereal with milk you should be able to do that easily most of your trip. Even some meat/cheese/sprouts and bread could help with lunch/snacks for the day from what you can have in the fridge. Though the price you will pay for cereal/bread/milk/cheese/meat/etc in The Rocks will be inflated, even by Australia standards.

Cola's post is spot on.

I also agree with the comments on chinese food. The noodles/rice dishes at the food courts in Chinatown I think are quite decent and reasonably priced for what you get.

Here are a few more places that we go to when in the city.
Pepper Steak: Japanese style fast food. Essentially meat and rice on a sizzling hot plate. 537 George Street, Sydney NSW 2000
Chef's gallery: Not cheap but but if you are interested in Northern Chinese cuisine (mostly dumplings and the like) then try it out. You can order plates in the middle and share them as a family. http://www.chefsgallery.com.au/
Mamak: Malaysian/singaporean cuisine. Once again not that cheap but decent food. This place is very popular. Once again, come early or be prepared to line up!. http://mamak.com.au/menu.html
There is a whole row of restaurants that has just opened (sometime last year) near the Tumbalong side of Darling Harbour. When the weather is good and we're already in the city, we go there to do people watching. There is a big playground right along the restaurants which makes is great for families. Prices are probably in the mid range.

Welcome to the reverse of the trip that the Aussies have to do on our way home. I'd like to say that the 15 hour flight really isn't that bad. Sadly, it is a killer and you'll find that the flight will seem to take forever...hopefully you and the family get some sleep. :hug:

The nice Sydneysiders have piped in with food options and cost of food compared to the US. If you compare the price of food here with the price of food in Canada, you'll probably set your expectations correctly.

Perhaps someone from Sydney can point you in the direction of the nearest city supermarket and if you have a toaster in your hotel room, you might be able to save some money on breakfast by making toast in your room.

Welcome to the reverse of the trip that the Aussies have to do on our way home. I'd like to say that the 15 hour flight really isn't that bad. Sadly, it is a killer and you'll find that the flight will seem to take forever...hopefully you and the family get some sleep. :hug:

The nice Sydneysiders have piped in with food options and cost of food compared to the US. If you compare the price of food here with the price of food in Canada, you'll probably set your expectations correctly.

Perhaps someone from Sydney can point you in the direction of the nearest city supermarket and if you have a toaster in your hotel room, you might be able to save some money on breakfast by making toast in your room.

I flipped your comment to first, because I wanted to say that this is exactly where my expectations are. We used to go to Toronto a lot when the exchange rate was better (it's less than 2 hours from our house to Downtown Toronto), but don't anymore because it stinks now. It used to be the exchange made the food equivalent to home. Now, Buffalo is also much cheaper than some of the more expensive parts of the country (New York, Boston, LA, or Disney itself) as well. But also even here when you go to entertainment venues (our Hockey and Football arenas and amusement parks) you still get the awful tourist prices. So, I do think my expectations are probably going to be all right, in addition to the helpful advice.

It quite interesting reading, living in Sydney I have the same concerns/fears about going to the US. I am going as part of a larger group with a then 4yo and a 1yo. Our flight departs 2pm local time and arrives LAX at 10:30 on the same day! Same goes for driving on the 'wrong' side of the road!

Arriving at your hotel shouldn't be too bad that early, let them know in advance and they may be able to organise something for you, even if only storing your bags while you go for a walk. You have a great location staying at The Rocks.

As for dining, you should be able to stick to budget but you will have to look a bit more. Weekdays make note of finding the Hunter Connection if you like Asian food, quite good and very cheap for lunch as is Chinatown. There are a few food shops local, Pancakes on the Rocks is a favorite of mine and another weekdays one, if you like Italian, is Giovannis which is on George St, not too far from where you are staying. There is also a noodle place on Bridge St, Wagamama ( a second store in Darling Harbour from memory) which has huge serves for a good price, good for a nice hot soup. Preparing breakfast in your room will certainly save you a lot of money, breakfast, depending on how much you eat could easily cost $20 or $30 AUD. I will stop now or I could be here all morning :)

All great advice! I do think we would prefer breakfast in our room as well. Four weeks of eating out every meal might get very old.

I was going to suggest pancakes on the rocks too. Also if you see any Harry's Cafe De Wheels about - Try it! You haven't been to Australia until you've dripped meat pie and sauce all down your front! :rotfl:

Ha - food trucks, we have them here too. Often very tasty, and often very messy!

Eatibility is a handy site to browse through Sydney eateries. Some restaurants have specials that they list on the site. More and more places are offering discounts if you finish your meal before 730pm. The site will give you some idea of price as well.

http://www.eatability.com.au/au/sydney/special-offers/index.htm

Will come back and list some of my favourite cheap eats when I can type without my 3 year old hanging off me...

I am unsure of our ability to internet access. I will probably carry my smart-phone even though I won't be able to call with it, at least not without spending big $$$, but if I can get a wi-fi link we'll have access. I can't remember if the hotel has it.

The Rocks is a great place to explore Sydney from! I find most of the more reasonably priced places to eat are further away from the harbour and closert to the Chinatown side of the city. But there is a free city shuttle and one of the stops is close to your hotel.

Remember in Australia, the price you see is the price you pay! No tax, no tip.

Sydney has great Thai food. My family go to Thailand frequently and the food here is close to what you get there. There is a strip her in Town that we nickname ""Thainatown with many good, cheap and authentic street style Thai food. Here are some of my favourites:
Thainatown: A no frills place with really good food. You'll easily feed your family for $30. Here is a handy blog review of the place. As mentioned, the thai ice tea is yummy if you like sweet drinks.
Chat Thai: This is a little bit more upmarket but prices are still surprisingly reasonable! I have to warn you that this is a very popular place so either go early or prepare to line up! The same person above has also blogged about this place.
Spice I Am: Last but not least there is Spice I Am, the most expensive of the lot but again, great food. They now have more upmarket versions throughout Sydney, but stick to the Surry Hills one.

More recommendations coming soon!

We like Asian food, though my daughter mostly only likes the noodle dishes - and NO SPICY! DW doesn't like real spicy either, but we like most all foods. I draw the line at anything "not cooked" or "with eyeballs". :lmao:

I was thinking that too, if we're going into the City to eat it's for a big fancy meal... If we want something cheap we stay out in the burbs... :confused3

Hmmm..I doubt we'll want to head out to the 'burbs for dinner, though.

You will be horrified by the price of food in Australia, and Sydney will be the biggest shock. A 600ml (20oz) soda from a 7-11 will be close to $4, maybe even $5 around The Rocks and the city, even from a vending machine it will usually be $3.50-$4, a cheap sit down place you might get a 375ml (12oz) can for $3.50, coffee prices are the same type of scary, actually everything will be the same type of scary compared to US prices. Bottomless cups/glasses are very very very rare, if you want 2 glasses of soda, you pay for 2 glasses of soda. Even something like McDonald's will be alarming - $10 for a meal of adult sized burger, fries, soda. Packets of breakfast cereal will be tiny compared to what you are used to and expensive, bread and milk will be expensive. If you are after any alcohol - expensive, and it's not just in the fridge at the 7-11 or gas station, you have to go to special shops.

You will not believe how expensive food and drink is compared to US. Unless the exchange rate does a complete shift in your favour, but while it's roughly $1US=$1AU you will find it expensive. If it goes back to 60cUS=$1AU it should be fine. The exchange rate will have a huge impact on how expensive you will find it. Totally unpredicatable, and to a certain extent a bit unpredictable until you see your credit card statement - overseas transaction fees, unfavourable exchange rates used by your bank etc can quickly add up.

Back to your original question, Asian is usually about the cheapest style of food you can get, Chinese/Thai are the most common. How are you with Chinese or Thai food? Chinatown is good, but stick to the places on the cross street rather than on the pedestrian mall section of Chinatown (Dixon St), they are usually cheaper, and generally a bit better.

The Rocks is a bit like the Fisherman's Warf area in San Fran, everything is expensive; in the city with all the office workers, there are lots of food courts under almost every second office tower, though a lot of them are only open Mon-Fri at lunchtime.

Once you get out of the major tourist areas, it gets more reasonable, and once you get out of Sydney in general it gets more reasonable. Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_cities_for_expatriate_employees Sydney is 14 for 2011, Melbourne, 21, Perth 30 (it jumped from 60 in 2010!), Brisbane 31 - the first US city to appear is New York at 32. That comparison is for US expats living in the city.

You will find almost every hotel in Australia will have tea/coffee making facilities and a small fridge, it's so common lots of places don't even mention it. I was surprised when I first went overseas how uncommon it is in the rest of the world. If breakfast is cereal with milk you should be able to do that easily most of your trip. Even some meat/cheese/sprouts and bread could help with lunch/snacks for the day from what you can have in the fridge. Though the price you will pay for cereal/bread/milk/cheese/meat/etc in The Rocks will be inflated, even by Australia standards.

Well, DW and I have one piece of cost savings...neither of us drink coffee, and we can get by pretty well without alcohol. Though I would prefer the occasional pint, DW really doesn't drink. I mostly don't drink out a lot because I feel ripped off by the prices. Even in the states beer will run you $3.50 to $6 a bottle, and when I can get a 12-pack of premium beers for $1 each at home, I'd rather do my drinking at home.

Cola's post is spot on.

I also agree with the comments on chinese food. The noodles/rice dishes at the food courts in Chinatown I think are quite decent and reasonably priced for what you get.

Here are a few more places that we go to when in the city.
Pepper Steak: Japanese style fast food. Essentially meat and rice on a sizzling hot plate. 537 George Street, Sydney NSW 2000
Chef's gallery: Not cheap but but if you are interested in Northern Chinese cuisine (mostly dumplings and the like) then try it out. You can order plates in the middle and share them as a family. http://www.chefsgallery.com.au/
Mamak: Malaysian/singaporean cuisine. Once again not that cheap but decent food. This place is very popular. Once again, come early or be prepared to line up!. http://mamak.com.au/menu.html
There is a whole row of restaurants that has just opened (sometime last year) near the Tumbalong side of Darling Harbour. When the weather is good and we're already in the city, we go there to do people watching. There is a big playground right along the restaurants which makes is great for families. Prices are probably in the mid range.

This is all very helpful, thank you! A playground is probably a big plus, too.

We did the Australia to US and back flight last year when DD was 2. How else were we going to get to WDW? :lmao: I found it OK actually. Although DD didn't sleep as much as I thought she would, she was pretty good. Very excited to see her own TV with Dora and Mickey Mouse on it :)

I am unsure of our ability to internet access. I will probably carry my smart-phone even though I won't be able to call with it, at least not without spending big $$$, but if I can get a wi-fi link we'll have access. I can't remember if the hotel has it.

Free wi-fi access is severely lacking here compared to the US. McDonald's has it, but a lot of hotels don't. It is getting better (I noticed my local shopping centre is now offering it), but don't count on it being available many places you go. That was one of the things we really liked when we were in the US, made it easy to update our blog to keep in touch etc.

Looking forward to reading more about your plans, particularly for Melbourne.

Holy Dooley, you're scaring me and I live here! :eek: :rotfl:

Most of our malls have supermarkets in them so you can stock up on cheap breakfasts and soft drinks etc. Keep an eye out for Woolworths, Coles, IGA, or Franklins. I can't think of any right near the rocks, but Market City near Chinatown should have one of those.

I know you won't be eating out in suburbia, I was just using that as an excuse as to why I couldn't think of any cheap places to eat in the city... :rolleyes1

There is a Woolworths on Park Street right across the road from Townhall in the City. While it is a smaller version of their supermarket you will be able to purchase breakfast items, bottled water for your hotel at more reasonable prices.

I would also recommend looking at the foodhall on Level 5 in the Westfield centre, though check the opening hours.
We went to Darling Harbour last week and ate at Blackbird Cafe, there is a $12.90 kids meal, some of the other restaurants also had set price meals that looked ok.

I really like Mamak, but get there 15min before it opens and queue, 15min after it opens and it will be full and you will have at least a 30min wait, 1hr after it opens and there goes a good chunk of the evening in the queue. The one advantage is you are coming in winter and that does make the queue a tiny tiny bit smaller.

Closest Woolworths supermarket to the Rocks is:

Woolworths - SYDNEY METCENTRE
Address: CNR GEORGE & MARGARET STREETS, SYDNEY, 2000,
Phone: (02) 9251 9037
Hours: Monday-Friday 6am-8pm
Saturday 10am-4pm
Sunday CLOSED

Closest Coles to the Rocks is:

Coles - Central Wynyard
Address: Wynyard & Carrington St, Sydney, 2000
Phone: (02) 9299 4769
Hours: Monday-Friday 6am-midnight
Saturday-Sunday 8am-10pm

They are pretty much the same, primarily grocery items, fruit/vege/processed food/bread/cereals/etc lots of prepackaged meals for busy office workers to take home. If you have a microwave, they may be of use after a long day walking.

I think shopping in Orlando is cheap compared to shopping in Australia, $20 at a supermarket in Sydney gets you hardly anything, $20 in Orlando seems to cover breakfast and snacks for a week. I even think Disney is reasonable compared to Sydney.
Just for chain restaurant comparison - Hard Rock Cafe Sydney, a Hickory Barbeque Bacon Cheeseburger is almost $25 inc tax plus tip expected, 10% usualy is considered normal-generous, Hard Rock Cafe Orlando $14, though that is plus tax and tip, so that's really another 25%ish all up, so inc tip, $27AU vs $18US, $10 difference for the same sit down meal, add the crazy prices for soda in Australia for a sit down meal and you'll be a convert to tap water.

If anyone is scared of prices in America, don't be!!!!!!! (while the exchange rate is so good) Food and drink in America is crazy cheap! And as for anything else (clothing, shoes, toys, etc) it's even crazier cheap! Theme park tickets aren't cheap, that's about the only thing that is expensive. Accommodation in America is much cheaper (outside of school holidays) Orlando outside holidays is ridiculously cheap.

And from now on I will refrain from mentioning how expensive the food will be in Australia :)

Thanks for all the info on shopping / groceries. We will very likely be eating breakfast in some, and I have to imagine we may even end up eating some dinners in too if the prices around town seem too high for us.

I've been saying that part of the reason Disney's been able to get away with the price hikes they have is because foreign visitors aren't dissuaded because the exchange rate is so good. If it ever turns back around, they might just take a pretty good hit if it's as expensive for visitors to eat as it is for the US folks! :lmao:

Just for chain restaurant comparison - Hard Rock Cafe Sydney, a Hickory Barbeque Bacon Cheeseburger is almost $25 inc tax plus tip expected, 10% usualy is considered normal-generous,

Don't tip. Seriously if someone in Australia thinks they deserve a tip they need to wake up to themselves...

Don't tip. Seriously if someone in Australia thinks they deserve a tip they need to wake up to themselves...

This brings up a good question: Where IS tipping expected? If not in restaurants, do you tip the bellman (porter) at the hotel? The Cabbie/taxi driver?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter