Help! Dining Delimma

kelscross

DIS Veteran
Okay...I have a delimma. My DH has never been to WDW and he has no concept of how things work there. I was going over some dining ideas so we could finally make PS's. He says "How do I know what I want to eat 60 days from now?"

Makes sense but that doesn't work in Disney. He refuses to eat fast food and wants sit down meals at least twice a day. I told him that would be costly and we HAD to make ressies. He said I'll just walk up to the restaurant and we'll get in.

What do I do? Should I just go with the flow and not make any PS's and hope there are restaurants open? Can we make PS's for restaurants that day when he figures out what he wants to eat? Or should I just go ahead and make PS's for places that I know he'll probably like and cancel them if he doesn't want to go that day?

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks

I've had moderate success making PS's when we arrive at WDW, and sometimes day of. If you don't want to eat at normal dining times, it shouldn't be that much of a problem.

This time out, first time ever, I'll be making a PS before we arrive. As soon as MK hours are posted for Feb, I'll be seeing about a suitable 'Ohana PS for my birthday.

But normally, we just phone when we get to the world, and last trip, took advantage of the free call from the pay phone (number is listed on the phone) to book dinner in Epcot the same day, from Epcot. It was the San Angel Inn, and it was really good, although we should have brought extra people considering the amount of food they serve.

Kungaloosh!
Morticia.

Honestly, it depends on when you are going and how many are in your party. If you're going during value season and there are only two of you, you may have a better chance of walking up and getting in.

I'd recommend making some priority seatings - you can always cancel them. I'd rather be safe than sorry or end up being disappointed.

Priority seatings can be made 90 days in advance.

I know how he feels about fast food. Our family never wants counter service at WDW. Actually, we now plan our trips around our dining. If it were me, I'd make the PS's and surprise him with what he's going to eat eat day. ;) I'll bet he'll be more than happy to just go along, and not have to worry about where to try to get into, or how long he has to wait on stand-by.

:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

Sometimes you can walk up...sometimes they are booked.

I would choose some ps's as backups..and then play it by ear.

Once you are on property, you can always call from your room and try to change the day before.

It really depends on the # in your party. My fiance and I never make ressies when we visit Disney. But it's just the two of us and we're really flexible with times. Usually what we do is decide what restaurant we would like to visit the night before. Then that morning we call or visit it first thing. This has worked well for us and we always go in August. The only ressie we've ever made was for Chef Mickeys breakfast and that was with a group of 4.

I'd ditch him, he seems like a big hassle. JUST KIDDING

It depends on the time that you will be going to WDW. If this is going to be a XMAS trip then I would make PS for almost everything (just to be safe). If this is off season you will be able to walk up to most of them. I would make a PS for the restaurants that you really want to dine at. If you don't go there its not a big deal, but if it is busy you will be glad you have it.

You could not make them for the first day, but do make them for the rest of the days and not tell him. If you have problems getting into a restaurant on your first day, THEN tell him what you have planned for the other days! Hopefully he'll be so grateful to have plans of any kind that he won't be as concerned about exactly what and where he's eating.... (did that make sense?)

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter