Help!!! Actvities for college kids AND grown-ups!

standardcandles

Earning My Ears
I'm a 21 yeard old college senior who's never been to the World before, and my boyfriend is in his late 20's and not entirely enthusiastic about the trip. While I know he'll love EPCOT and MGM (he's a science nerd and movie buff), I'm worried about keeping him from getting bored with the MK. Any suggestions?

Thanks!!! :cheer2:

I've totally had that problem before!!

There's lots of neat stuff to do there, but I think the main objective is staying away from the little kids who are there. I like families and babies very much, but if you have a BF who's not keen on the MK to begin with, kids may make it worse.

So, what I would do is this:

1) Know what rides you are going to do and when. EX: You won't be riding Dumbo, natch. BUT---The Astro Rockets are actually cooler and scarier that you think. So ride that early in the morning (it tends to get a long wait). Try Aladdin's carpet too - watch the camels. Maybe go over the attractions with him, to see which appeal to him.

2) Similar to what I said regarding Astro Orbitor, don't discount some attractions that seem lame. Like Tom Sawyer's island - it can be really cool and a VERY nice place to get away from the screaming kids.

3) Take advantage of every single FASTPASS you can get!!!!! It will save you time and headaches.

4) Although the MK doesn't serve alchohol, you can always hop a monorail and get a drink at any of the lounges. ("Get looped on the Loop!") My fav: get a drink at the Tambu Lounge at the Polynesian and take it out to the beach and watch the fireworks from there. Very romantic!

5) Consider a "Keys to the Kingdom" tour? It's a little $$, but your BF might find it neat. You get to see computers and AudioAnimatronics!

6) Eat at off times to avoid the families. For fast food, the BF might like Pecos or Cosmics (both have great "fixin's bars") Or, if you want sit-down, Tony's or Plaza Resturant are both great.

7) Really, take your time and just relax. Who knows, he may surprise you and want character autographs, mouseears and the whole nine yards!

Good luck!!! :earsboy:

emphasis the science and tech - behind the rides/attractions - the architecture....

at Epcot get him to ride both Mission to Space and Test Track before letting him see Innovactions.

WDW has some stuff even tech nerks don't know about - if he is into science - don't worry - he will love WDW.

Also, there is some kind of Magic about Disney that most people really lighten up when they are there... even if it is silly, who does he have to worry about looking stupid in front of? :-)

I am a 19 year old and just went with my 19 year old girlfriend. YOU BOTH WILL LOVE DISNEY. I promise it is impossible not to love it. Especially if he is a Science buff some of the great overlooked rides have alot to do with science HAVE FUN. and ride Tower of Terror at least 3 times

LOL... I thought I was the only one with that problem! Both my boyfriend and I are 22; he hasn't been since he was six, I was there six months ago. We are going in May, and I think the best bet is to just keep it relaxed, and ask for his input on tours, meals, things like that... My boyfriend seems really excited to go to DisneyQuest (something about all those video games is a big hit with the guys!!) and I know he'll love Innoventions. I think that as long as you keep it low key, and stay away from screaming children, it'll be a good time! Also, like Roman Razor said, there's some sort of Magic about Disney. He'll have a great time, and I'm sure he'll be happy just to be there with you! :flower:
Have fun!! princess:

Hi! :wave2:

Just wanted to add my experience. I have been to WDW tons of times, had APs most of my life. SO had only been briefly when he was a young child. He is now 30!!! I can't wait to take him to my favorite place on earth, although house remodeling has consistantly been in the way of us going. That has not stopped me from planning here and there though. I pulled out my guidebooks, I love the Unofficial Guide and Passporter, and started by one park at a time describing the attractions/shows/entertainment to him and asking him to rate it based on its interest to him. Take it slow, too much at once can overwhelm and bore them.

Then I started discussing hotels and restaurants. He slowly got involved, throwing in bits and pieces of info he had.....what is that restaurant with the fish tanks he asked me...he specifically wanted to eat there. When they have an idea or desire, don't shut them out. Even though I think that the Coral Reef is overpriced for under quality food, I told him we would go if he thought he would enjoy it.

SO really wants to go to Jamaica so I brought up the idea of the Caribbean Beach resort. He likes to sleep late on his days off (when we don't have a million and one house projects to work on) and is really into eating breakfast, so I know it won't work to push him out of bed at 7am in the mornings, I figure when we go we will be more laid back about getting started and enjoy a nice breakfast.

I know he doesn't look forward to WDW the way I do, but I know he will enjoy his time there, if only because it can be a fun and relaxing experience full of memories for us to share.

Since he's a science nerd, be sure to check out the 'Around the World at Epcot -- on a Segway!' tour
http://allearsnet.com/btp/tours.htm#dol

I'm taking my DS18 to WDW for his graduation present and as soon as we found out about the Segway tour we booked it! They have 2 tours daily and only 10 people allowed at each. If you tell them you have AAA you get the 15% discount. They didn't even ask for my AAA number. :rotfl:

If this is your first trip, don't worry about either of you being bored! There will be so many little and big things to do at all of the parks - you wil be in awe. I had a similar situation as you last year when I took my boyfriend to WDW for the first time. I had been many times, so I knew he would have fun, but he was not looking forward to it. Being in his late 20's, he thought Disney wa just for kids. OH WAS HE WRONG! I think he had more fun than I did and to reasure you, he is taking us back in 2 weeks for 9 days. You both will have a blast. Just let your boyfriend have his opinions, cause when you arrive his attitude will change :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter